An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Of The Eucharist

the lords sheep

the lords sheep

This is a beautiful group of Sisters. I know some of them here in Rome.
They are faithful to the magisterium and are just bursting with Franciscan Joy! If I had any Franciscan leanings, I'd definitely consider them (so those of you who feel called to St. Francis's family, ask the Lord if he could be leading you here!)
Here is a link of their newest novice receiving her name and habit:
[url="http://www.fsecommunity.org/news/08-08-15_sregina.html"]Sr. Regina[/url]

Edited by the lords sheep

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1767635' date='Jan 31 2009, 07:39 PM']This is a beautiful group of Sisters. I know some of them here in Rome.
They are faithful to the magisterium and are just bursting with Franciscan Joy! If I had any Franciscan leanings, I'd definitely consider them (so those of you who feel called to St. Francis's family, ask the Lord if he could be leading you here!)
Here is a link of their newest novice receiving her name and habit:
[url="http://www.fsecommunity.org/news/08-08-15_sregina.html"]Sr. Regina[/url][/quote]
Thank you for sharing.
Sr Regina looks SOOOOOOO HAPPY :) :) :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1768434' date='Feb 1 2009, 09:46 AM']Their veil looks very bridal.[/quote]
It does, doesn't it. Buuuut, do you ever wonder how it stays on? I do. :wacko:

[quote name='shortnun' post='1769173' date='Feb 1 2009, 11:13 PM']It does, doesn't it. Buuuut, do you ever wonder how it stays on? I do. :wacko:[/quote]

It might be sustained with pins.

It doesn't look so much "bridal" as "widow-ish"

They're probably a lovely group of sisters, but I really dislike that veil. For one thing it does not save the trouble of having to fix their hair, and for another, it's so...really unattractive.

They'd look better without it altogether, and just the habit, imho.

When I was going through, what I might call, my little "Franciscan fixation," I looked at their community in the mix of things. I found their veil very strange. It was unlike any veil I had ever seen, and I liked it and disliked it at the same time.

I like it because:

--it reminds me of a bridal veil
--it's very simple and modest

I dislike it because:
--I want my hair tonsured before the veil is put on when I become a novice. This order doesn't do that.
--It's odd and I don't know how well it will stay on.

I really want the veil that wraps around my head like the Carmelite DCJ veil, but I still wonder how hard it is to secure the veil at the nape of the neck.

Don't let my post lead you to believe that I am only looking at habits as a factor in my discernment. Quite the contrary. :D

Actually, I just looked at their website again, and just noticed that all the Sisters have their hair cut quite short, but still, you have to worry about brushing it and styling it. :(

VeniteAdoremus

"My" community has a bit of hair showing, so you're still brushing and styling it. I don't care for that. But well, there are more important things.

InHisLove: I witnessed a DCJ in a full storm and her veil didn't move an inch, so I can tell you first-hand that it stays on :) They have a kind of clippy thing in the back.

To get back on topic: these sisters have, it seems, sprouted a male branch a couple of years ago, and they're holding a [url="http://www.fbecommunity.org/"]Vocation Weekend[/url] later this month.

the lords sheep

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1769638' date='Feb 2 2009, 03:01 PM']"My" community has a bit of hair showing, so you're still brushing and styling it. I don't care for that. But well, there are more important things.[/quote]

VA- I'm with you... It's not my first choice to have to style my hair, but if that's my biggest problem with an order, goodness, I'll get over it!

puellapaschalis

Every time I see threads about Franciscans I'm reminded of just how big the beautiful mosaic of religious life is. Which is my fancy way of saying that I just don't "get" Franciscan life at all :idontknow:

Don't hit me! :tomato: I'm having a joyous lighthearted moment :rolleyes: :lol_roll:

VeniteAdoremus

In his book on Dominican spirituality, Fr. Hinnebusch explains that for religious, the spirituality of their order is sacramental, that is, a way to get to Heaven. I think everyone unconsciously feels this when discerning a vocation.

Each spirituality is very deep, and at 24 with the little study I've done I wouldn't say I know enough about them to trust myself not to say something incredibly stupid - but at some basic level, I "get" Franciscan spirituality. I "get" the Dominican spirituality too, and in addition, that seems to resonate somewhere inside me (if you're a trained singer, [i]that's exactly what I mean[/i] - I'm a lucky girl).

I don't get Benedictine spirituality [i]at all[/i] - I see how beautiful the life is, how the Rule makes loads of sense, but all the while I know that this wouldn't get me to heaven. It might make me a good person, but definitely not a saint. And I wouldn't be feeling very good doing it (although it is [i]very tempting[/i] to just chant the full Divine Office and grow potatoes in between or something like that ;) ).

So. This was my very roundabout way of saying that I know what you mean, PP :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1769638' date='Feb 2 2009, 08:01 AM']"My" community has a bit of hair showing, so you're still brushing and styling it. I don't care for that. But well, there are more important things.

InHisLove: I witnessed a DCJ in a full storm and her veil didn't move an inch, so I can tell you first-hand that it stays on :) They have a kind of clippy thing in the back.

To get back on topic: these sisters have, it seems, sprouted a male branch a couple of years ago, and they're holding a [url="http://www.fbecommunity.org/"]Vocation Weekend[/url] later this month.[/quote]

:lol_pound:

I forgot about Sr. Maris Stella (unfortunately, not with the DCJ's anymore) who had a spider on her veil when we were outside. One of the girls on the retreat brushed it off rather hard, and the veil stayed on. Hehe!

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1769919' date='Feb 2 2009, 03:11 PM']So. This was my very roundabout way of saying that I know what you mean, PP :)[/quote]
VA, PP- I know exactly what you mean too. I "get" why communities are they way they are (in the superficial, historical sense). But until I met a community where I really clicked, I didn't know any different.