An Old School Catholic Message Board

So I Have Made My Decision

Giolla

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Giolla' post='1773824' date='Feb 6 2009, 01:23 PM']Now that I have made that decision I am now deciding on whether to be a diocesan or Jesuit. My diocese is in need of Priests. Any Thoughts or tips?[/quote]

The diocesan priesthood and the Jesuits are both in need of good priests.

Have you looked into [url="http://www.mileschristi.org/"]Miles Christi[/url]?

Thank you for seriously discerning the priesthood. God bless you!

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Giolla' post='1773824' date='Feb 6 2009, 11:23 AM']Now that I have made that decision I am now deciding on whether to be a diocesan or Jesuit. My diocese is in need of Priests. Any Thoughts or tips?[/quote]

Well, it's a well-known fact that, although they have a glorious history, the Jesuits, generally speaking, have become wildly liberal in the past fifty years or so. There are a few good Jesuits; they are the exceptions that prove the rule. (I'm assuming you know this already, but you never know what people know.) I do have a friend, however, who told me that in certain provinces they are getting better. I don't know how to tell whether this is true. But my first reaction would be, unless you are convinced that the province, the whole province, is orthodox, run, run from the Jesuits!

• 2 weeks later...

Jesuits place a huge value on education, so if you decide to go with them, realize it is a big commitment to studies. Of course, the diocesan priesthood also requires years of studies, so either way...you have a lot of philosophy/theology classes ahead of you!

If you become a diocesan priest, you will almost certainly be assigned as a parish priest. If you join the Jesuits, you may find yourself teaching or running a high school or something. So, consider the difference in ministries when making your decision. Also, consider how important it is to you to live in community with other priests. In the seminary, there will be great fellowship with your fellow seminarians (most likely), whereas afterwards....

Well, if your diocese is in great need of priests, it is quite likely that they will assign one to a parish (or even one priest to multiple parishes) so you'd be living on your own. I'm not sure, but I think the Jesuits at least try to live in small communities. Either way, you'd be part of a network of priests who can support you in your ministry and spiritual life, as well as socialize with. It is just the day to day lifestyle that is different.

I am not sure how much location matters to you, but while your local diocese may send you away to seminary, you will spend the majority of your years as a priest in your home diocese - so, near family and all of that. With the Jesuits, you could go anywhere ;). How much of a missionary spirit do you have?

I would say to contact them both (your local diocese and the Jesuits), and see where things go. Congratulations on the decision to become a priest and serve God's people - I am sure He will lead you to where He wants you to be. :)

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1777130' date='Feb 9 2009, 04:50 PM']Well, it's a well-known fact that, although they have a glorious history, the Jesuits, generally speaking, have become wildly liberal in the past fifty years or so. There are a few good Jesuits; they are the exceptions that prove the rule. (I'm assuming you know this already, but you never know what people know.) I do have a friend, however, who told me that in certain provinces they are getting better. I don't know how to tell whether this is true. But my first reaction would be, unless you are convinced that the province, the whole province, is orthodox, run, run from the Jesuits![/quote]
amen agreed...

Not much has changed since this was written-
[b]THE JESUITS. The Society of Jesus and the Betrayal of the. Roman Catholic Church.[/b] by. Malachi Martin

I will definitely pray for you and your discernment. We need good priests now especially the dioceses of America. However, I think you should look for an order or community that has a good formation because this is a very important part of the priesthood. Even though your diocese or jesuits need priests (I can't tell if they still have priests :unsure:), it is not your duty to rescue them. If you want your vocation to grow and if you want to become holy priest (not saying that you can't become a holy priest in your diocese or with the jesuits.. It's just going to be very very very tough), go enter an orthodox (not the schismatic group... :)) order. A priest once told me "You are not suppose to save the Church. The Church is suppose to save you."

God bless you for even considering the priesthood let alone answer the call. You have my prayers. Pray and fast as you discern.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Giolla' post='1773824' date='Feb 6 2009, 09:23 AM']Now that I have made that decision I am now deciding on whether to be a diocesan or Jesuit. My diocese is in need of Priests. Any Thoughts or tips?[/quote]

Have you thought of becoming a religious priest? There are so many wonderful communities of brothers and priests, just to name a few -- Carmelites, Benedictines, Franciscans (and a whole range of these from Capuchins to FFR etc), Dominicans, Salesians.... and on and on. One of the beauties of belonging to a religious community is having the support of one's brothers. Religious priests are also often involved in spiritual direction, which Diocesan priests don't usually have time for because of their parish work.

This is just an idea, because I know the Church very much needs parish priests, but I have seen more and more religious priests helping out by celebrating Mass in the parish churches. We have Norbertine fathers here and they can be found in many of the local parish churches, helping out where there is need. They also offer Evening Prayer at one of the local churches, which is really nice for the laity to share in this.

Whatever you decide, God bless you for answering His call.

Edited by nunsense

[quote name='Giolla' post='1768932' date='Feb 1 2009, 08:32 PM']I'm in community college and I have been trying to decide on whether or not to be a priest. I have decided that it is what I am being called to do. Please keep me in your thoughts and or prayers.

Thanks,
Joseph (AkA Giolla)[/quote]

prayers and intentions will be for you!
be zealous in your calling

• 1 month later...
johnnydigit

[quote name='Giolla' post='1768993' date='Feb 1 2009, 07:20 PM']Thanks everyone. Yeah really not easy considering no more than 6 years ago I was an atheist.[/quote]

me too pretty much. now i want to be a Franciscan.

God bless your discernment. it's an exciting journey into yourself, into God. have fun!