An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sins And Religious Life

dominicansoul

None that I can think of except having had an abortion until that automatic excommunication was formally lifted. You take vows of chastity, poverty and obedience that count from that point forward, not as to past activity. I guess that you'd have to be a virgin to be a consecrated virgin, but even then, we have a "consecrated single" here in our diocese. She's a chaplain at the hospital who also teaches at the seminary. She said she didn't want to be referred to as a consecrated virgin because that puts the emphasis on sex rather than dedicating your life to service. Some people have said that it's possible she did so because she is no longer a virgin, but I think that isn't our business.

dominicansoul

Is there anything in Canon Law about Abortion? It makes sense to me that if a woman is contrite and has received full reconciliation with the Church, she shouldn't be condemned for life...

I know one does not have to be a Virgin to enter religious life, but I'm thinking one needs to be one if she's taking a vow of consecration as a Virgin...?

Also, I know a few girls who entered religious life after being married...and then getting an annulment and another a divorce (that one was not married by the Church.)

So, basically there are absolutely no sins that can prevent a young woman from entering religious life?

HisChildForever

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1775957' date='Feb 8 2009, 03:36 PM']Also, I know a few girls who entered religious life after being married...and then getting an annulment and another a divorce (that one was not married by the Church.)[/quote]

I think a divorced woman can enter religious life with no problem, because my understanding is that you are still married in the eyes of God, so dating and being intimate with someone else is adultery. So long as the woman intends on staying single and chaste for the rest of her life, the divorce would not be an obstacle for her. Right?

Edited by HisChildForever

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1775959' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:39 PM']I think a divorced woman can enter religious life with no problem, because my understanding is that you are still married in the eyes of God, so dating and being intimate with someone else is adultery. So long as the woman intends on staying single and chaste for the rest of her life, the divorce would not be an obstacle for her. Right?[/quote]

Because she is still married in the eyes of God and the eyes of the Church she cannot enter religious life. She would have to have an annulment.

It is as if she was a married woman... and she is. A married women can't enter.

puellapaschalis

Marriage is an impediment to religious life if not non-existent (annulled).

I would suppose that the sins against the Holy Spirit would prevent someone from entering religious life, but then they don't even permit repentance, so that's a broader issue.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1775959' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:39 PM']I think a divorced woman can enter religious life with no problem, because my understanding is that you are still married in the eyes of God, so dating and being intimate with someone else is adultery. So long as the woman intends on staying single and chaste for the rest of her life, the divorce would not be an obstacle for her. Right?[/quote]

ok hijack dont shoot me. what happens to a catholic woman who divorses and gets remarried ? she's an adulter for life ? so she automatically goes to hell ? im confused.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1776040' date='Feb 8 2009, 06:55 PM']ok hijack dont shoot me. what happens to a catholic woman who divorses and gets remarried ? she's an adulter for life ? so she automatically goes to hell ? im confused.[/quote]

A woman cannot "legally" divorce and "remarry."

Once you are married in the Church you are married for life (unless you seek an annulment and find that for various different reasons you weren't truly married in the Church).

"What God has joined together, let no man put asunder" (Mt. 19:6)

A legal divorce means nothing in the eyes of God. One is just legally separated form one's spouse. One is not spiritually separated from him/her. One isn't truly seperated form him or her. The covenant between her and her spouse is not broken just because she signed a piece of paper and turned in into the state saying she doesn't want to live with her husband and share things.

If a woman "marries" again legally it means nothing as well. A civil union is not marriage, and means nothing. She is living in adultery. In this case she is committing grave sin, but it all depends on her conscience and knowledge of what she is doing....

Then, if she does know what she is doing. She is aware that it is grave sin and does it anyway then if she dies in grave sin she will "perish" ...to put it not so bluntly.

If a woman divorces she must live a celibate life or get back together with her husband, as she is still married until she or her husband die. Or she can seek an annulment, where the Church will look at the marriage and the circumstances and dispositions of both spouses going into it and come to a decision as to whether they were truly ever married (as there are certain circumstances and dispositions one must have to be married in the Church).

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

I also have heard of communities asking potential candidates to be free from any sins that they habitually commit before entering. ex. gambling problem, sins against purity, ect.

Ok thank you mabey I should start a new thread. So why does the bible say divorse is ok. I know it doesnt encourage it but it also doesnt forbid it. My parents are divorsed and I never really thought of this. I knew they couldnt recieve communion but I never thought about them not being able to remarry and being in a state of mortal sin. Wow.

Another reason that makes me want to throw up a red flag on catholicism. I have come to far though now and I know it's the true chruch but stuff like this gets me. I gotta look for some bible verses on this although again I dont plan to argue with them because Im not a heretic.

Edited by Guest

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1776088' date='Feb 8 2009, 03:15 PM']Ok thank you mabey I should start a new thread. So why does the bible say divorse is ok. I know it doesnt encourage it but it also doesnt forbid it. My parents are divorsed and I never really thought of this. I knew they couldnt recieve communion but I never thought about them not being able to remarry and being in a state of mortal sin. Wow.

Another reason that makes me want to throw up a red flag on catholicism. I have come to far though now and I know it's the true chruch but stuff like this gets me. I gotta look for some bible verses on this although again I dont plan to argue with them because Im not a heretic.[/quote]

You might want to take up this topic on another thread just to get a wider range of well informed answers. Jesus does say that divorce is against God's law though...

[i]When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there. Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?" "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator `made them male and female', and said, `For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." "Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?" Jesus replied, [b]"Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."[/b] The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry." Jesus replied, "[b]Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given[/b]. For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." [/i]
Matthew 19:1-15

Are your parents Catholic and were they married in a Catholic Church? It could be that their marriage was invalid anyway.

Instead of worrying about it all, take it all to Jesus in prayer and ask Him for the guidance and strength of His Holy Spirit. The Church is faithful to His teachings and we can be confident that if we obey Holy Mother Church that we will be pleasing to God. Prayers for you for His peace in your heart :pray:

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1776110' date='Feb 9 2009, 12:26 AM']If someone were a public, notorious sinner that might be hard to work out.[/quote]

It might require a public and visible apology and renouncement of sin.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1775951' date='Feb 8 2009, 01:22 PM']I'm curious...

What sins that a woman commits would prevent her from ever being able to enter religious life?[/quote]

I think a Canon lawyer is needed here but I read on another forum in a post by a priest, that the sin of murder would prevent a man from taking Holy Orders. I don't think this applies to religious communities however as one might want to enter religious life as a penance for a great sin. St Maria Goretti's attacker, Alessandro Serenelli entered the Capuchins as a brother after he was released from prison, so it does seem that one can enter religious life even after such a terrible sin, if there is true repentence and the community accepts the person.

As for a divorced (not annuled) or married women entering a religious community, I have only heard of this in the ecumenical communities such as Taize and the new Servants of the Sacred Cross. These communities are NOT Catholic religious communities however.

As has been pointed out here already, when one enters a Catholic religious community, one becomes a spouse of Christ. Divorce does not end a marriage, it is only the breaking of the civil contract - an annulment is required which states that the marriage was invalid in the first place, and therefore the person has never actually been married! The sins that occured as a result of the invalid marriage should be confessed and absolved.

This is an interesting topic!

VeniteAdoremus

After Confession and proper resolvement no sin is a legal impediment, but there are certainly circumstances in which a person would probably not be accepted by many communities. (I am currently working through my psychological testing, and they assured me this, probably because they want to know all the juicy bits.)

In the old times, there were several impediments, although I am not entirely sure they were legal. For example, being born out of wedlock was severely frowned upon.

In my experience many vocation directors more or less assume you're not a virgin.