An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Did Satan Hate God So Much ?

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1787964' date='Feb 22 2009, 12:46 AM']I see and feel where you're coming from.
I dont know how satan could do what he did though.
I want to hate him for it but I know were not supposed to. (I think)
I know satan hates me though and want's me dead.
So I want to hate him to. Why did he do what he did ?
And all of us through this ****.
But it is sad you're right.
Godbless.

*edidt*

usually I dont write *edit* when I come back but I feel I have to this time.

My post above shows how selfish I am.
I should have wrote I want to hate him for what he put our Lord Jesus Christ through.
It's sick and I hate that Jesus had to do what he did because of satan.
And for that I want to hate satan.[/quote]

You aren't selfish - just human. But hate is Satan's weapon. Love is Jesus' weapon. We can hate sin --- but not sinners - remember that Jesus even forgave those who crucified Him.

Satan may provide the temptation, but man chooses to commit the sin, so it is our sins that caused Jesus' suffering and put Him to death. He did it willingly, out of love for us all, because He wanted to redeem us.

All our focus should be on loving Jesus, and not on hating Satan. If we spend our time adoring Jesus, and loving Him and giving Him thanks with all our heart and soul, then there is no room for the evil one. After all, Satan is nothing. Jesus is Our Lord and God, Our Redeemer and Savior - only He deserves our attention.

That is why I say the sadness is for God not being loved, rather than for Satan -- he had his choice, he made it. Now, our choice is always before us - to love Our Lord with all our heart and all our soul and all our strength, and to love each other as He loved us.

:love:

Ok I agree with what you say except for the part about it being our fault for sin.
I sorta agree with this but not really. If satan wouldn't have tempted us we wouldnt have fell.
If we didn't fall Jesus wouldn't have had to come here and die the way he did.
I believe in the cross and I believe in what Jesus did for us on the cross.
I always want to be reminded of the cross and I never wan't to forget it.
But not for one minute do I think it's ok that Jesus had to die that way.
I dont hate no human being. I dont anyone anyone who sins even if it's against me.
But for me not to hate satan is pretty tough. Satan hated me first before I did anything to him.
God tells us to love our enemies so I guess I am called to love all my enemies.
But still love is expressed in many different ways. Love isnt always smiles and hugs.
What satan did was sick and twisted and I hope he suffers every single moment in his eternal punishment.

Edited by Guest

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1787989' date='Feb 22 2009, 01:06 AM']Ok I agree with what you say except for the part about it being our fault for sin.
I sorta agree with this but not really. If satan wouldn't have tempted us we wouldnt have fell.
If we didn't fall Jesus wouldn't have had to come here and die the way he did.
I believe in the cross and I believe in what Jesus did for us on the cross.
I always want to be reminded of the cross and I never wan't to forget it.
But not for one minute do I think it's ok that Jesus had to die that way.
I dont hate no human being. I dont anyone anyone who sins even if it's against me.
But for me not to hate satan is pretty tough. Satan hated me first before I did anything to him.
God tells us to love our enemies so I guess I am called to love all my enemies.
But still love is expressed in many different ways. Love isnt always smiles and hugs.
What satan did was sick and twisted and I hope he suffers every single moment in his eternal punishment.[/quote]

I understand that you are sharing in Christ's suffering, and that is a beautiful thing. For us to embrace the Cross is truly loving Jesus. But to allow your heart to fill with hate for anyone or anything actually dishonors Jesus in a way - because His whole message was one of love. That is not to say that you have to love Satan - absolutely not. But even St Michael would not rebuke him - that is why in the prayer to St Michael we ask God to rebuke Satan - so, if it isn't appropriate for St Michael to do it - it certainly is not appropriate for us to do it either. We can ask that God thrust him into hell along with all his evil spirits, but we mustn't carry hate in our hearts towards him (and thus do him honor). Any time we use one of Satan's weapons, we are honoring him - that is why lying is so bad - he is the Prince of Lies, whereas Our Lord Jesus is the Truth Incarnate. Every lie honors Satan, every act of hatred honors him. As disciples of Jesus, we honor Our Lord through loving obedience to His Will.

You are right in that love is expressed in many ways. Once I asked a priest how I could love my neighbors, when the man was a convicted child molester (recently released from prison) and his "wife" was a bigamist. The priest told me that compassion is also a form of love, and certainly I should have compassion for such people. This helped me a lot. So I am not saying that any of us should feel any love towards Satan - but neither should we allow ourselve to be consumed by hatred either. Jesus is God. He knew what He was doing when He created the universe, and Satan, and us, and allowed free will in his creatures. He also knew what He was doing whan He offered Himself as a sacrifical lamb for our salvation. His Cross was His greatest triumph, and through it, He has given meaning to all mankind's sufferings. Should we feel pain at His suffering? Yes. Should we excuse our own sins by blaming Satan? No. We are sinners in our hearts, but are saved sinners, through Our Lord. And He did this through His suffering and His Cross. Feel His pain, but also rejoice at His triumph over death and Satan!

[quote name='nunsense' post='1788003' date='Feb 22 2009, 04:20 AM']I understand that you are sharing in Christ's suffering, and that is a beautiful thing. For us to embrace the Cross is truly loving Jesus. But to allow your heart to fill with hate for anyone or anything actually dishonors Jesus in a way - because His whole message was one of love. That is not to say that you have to love Satan - absolutely not. But even St Michael would not rebuke him - that is why in the prayer to St Michael we ask God to rebuke Satan - so, if it isn't appropriate for St Michael to do it - it certainly is not appropriate for us to do it either. We can ask that God thrust him into hell along with all his evil spirits, but we mustn't carry hate in our hearts towards him (and thus do him honor). Any time we use one of Satan's weapons, we are honoring him - that is why lying is so bad - he is the Prince of Lies, whereas Our Lord Jesus is the Truth Incarnate. Every lie honors Satan, every act of hatred honors him. As disciples of Jesus, we honor Our Lord through loving obedience to His Will.

You are right in that love is expressed in many ways. Once I asked a priest how I could love my neighbors, when the man was a convicted child molester (recently released from prison) and his "wife" was a bigamist. The priest told me that compassion is also a form of love, and certainly I should have compassion for such people. This helped me a lot. So I am not saying that any of us should feel any love towards Satan - but neither should we allow ourselve to be consumed by hatred either. Jesus is God. He knew what He was doing when He created the universe, and Satan, and us, and allowed free will in his creatures. He also knew what He was doing whan He offered Himself as a sacrifical lamb for our salvation. His Cross was His greatest triumph, and through it, He has given meaning to all mankind's sufferings. Should we feel pain at His suffering? Yes. Should we excuse our own sins by blaming Satan? No. We are sinners in our hearts, but are saved sinners, through Our Lord. And He did this through His suffering and His Cross. Feel His pain, but also rejoice at His triumph over death and Satan![/quote]

Thanks for that reply. It was helpfull.
Godbless

Edited by Guest

First off read this:

"When the angels were first created, they did not have the Beatific Vision. They had a dwelling place in the heavens, but it was not the Heaven in Eternity with the Beatific Vision. For anyone who has the Beatific Vision cannot sin or fall from grace; and we know that many angels did fall.

Then God tested the angels, to see if they were worthy of Heaven, for no one can enter heaven except through the Son of God. So they were shown Jesus Christ, the Son of God, on the Cross, suffering and weak and humiliated. And they were told to worship Him. Most obeyed, accepting this command out of faith and love and hope, not fully understanding its meaning. But many angels turned away from God because they refused to worship someone who was seemingly less then themselves. The reason that some angels refused to worship God-made-man is that human nature includes a physical part (the body), making human beings inferior to the angels, who are pure spirit. This refusal to worship Christ came from pride: so pride goes before a fall. They relied on their high intellect, which could not fully understand this mystery, rather than relying on grace and faith. Their pride in their own power caused them to reject Jesus Christ in his humility. So these angels forever lost the grace of God, becoming fallen angels (also called devils or demons). Then they were barred by God from the Heaven of Eternity and the Beatific Vision. But they were allowed for a time to roam the heavens and the earth. (When Scripture describes fallen angels as being in heaven, it means the heavens and the spiritual realm in general, but not the Heaven which is in Eternity and which includes the Beatific Vision of God.)"

{8:6} You reduced him to a little less than the Angels; you have crowned him with glory and honor,

The reason the fallen angels could not repent after they had rejected Christ and the gift of grace is that they are pure spiritual beings. They grasp truth clearly and purely unlike men who grasp truth through symbols, in a shadow type way. Therefore once the angels made their choice it was forever, unlike humans who (thankfully) have the choice many times in their lives to choose Christ and grace and repentance, and a new life, and accept the merciful covenant God offers to men. And only at the moment of our deaths, is our final choice forever. As Rahner taught, "Death is Judgment."

God hates Satan (meaning adversary) and the fallen angels because of what they have done just as God in a sense hates the unjust for what they have done even though in their fundamental being angels and men are created in God's image and likeness. Therefore it is o.k. to hate the fallen angels, and hate the unjust, in so far one hates them because of their evil deeds. Just as it is o.k. to hate the sins of ones own past yet it is not o.k. to hate one's own self.

This all being said I find it erroneous for Catholics to place to much weight on the temptations of Satan and the fallen angels. There is an aspect of Christ being crucified because of Satan and the fallen angels yet this is secondary, to the true reason of the Cross. Notice Christ in the desert easily defeated the temptations of Satan, even before his public ministry and His Passion and Death. It is us, and our sinfullness that Christ died on the Cross for. It primarily had nothing to do with Satan and the fallen angels, for they were already lost. Yet we were not and Christ, by His death merited for us salvific grace, which transcends our falleness. God permits the fallen angels to tempt us only on occasion. I repeat only on occasion. For our real battle is concupiscience (the remants of original sin), and the influences of the fallen-sinful world. Christ is the King. Christ has "sent forth His Spirit" and is renewing the face of the earth, in spite of the fact that He permits fallen angels to still roam the earth and tempt men (only) on occasion. And that occasion is for His and our greater glory.

Amen.

Praise and glory be to Jesus Christ,
Who is meek, mild, bold and powerful.
Who is renown, and shall be renown,
The King of all. Now and even forever!

Edited by kafka

Ok thank you for that bro as it was a very good read. It made sence to so again thank you.
I think I agree with everything you said except for the part about why Christ died.
I understand that he died because of our fall and our seperation from God through adam and eve.
But here's my thing, if it wasn't for satan we wouldn't of fell correct ?
God had to know that satan would be able to decieve us.
Satan was an angel that was closest to God so surely this wouldn't be much of a task.
Sorta like me being able to trick a 5 year old day after day into getting into my car.
Now I am not saying that makes me angry at God in any sort of way because we still did have free will and adam and eve could of chose to listen to God and not give in to satan.
That is why I have so much hatred for satan. Because if it wasn't for satan adam and eve wouldn't have fell. And then Jesus wouldn't have had to do what He did for us.
I mean I know Jesus chose to but things that stick out to me are him bleeding sweat, him asking God if were possible for him not to have to go through with this, him hanging on the cross asking "God why have you forsaken me? "
So often times I am troubled when people make it seem like this was something Jesus was looking forward to doing or something.
I mean I know he chose to and I dont know how He did. (other then He's God)
But still if it wasn't for satan hating God there would have been no fall for us. (at least i think not mabey im wrong)

Edited by Guest

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1788059' date='Feb 22 2009, 04:50 AM']Ok thank you for that bro as it was a very good read. It made sence to so again thank you.
I think I agree with everything you said except for the part about why Christ died.
I understand that he died because of our fall and our seperation from God through adam and eve.
But here's my thing, if it wasn't for satan we wouldn't of fell correct ?
God had to know that satan would be able to decieve us.
Satan was an angel that was closest to God so surely this wouldn't be much of a task.
Sorta like me being able to trick a 5 year old day after day into getting into my car.
Now I am not saying that makes me angry at God in any sort of way because we still did have free will and adam and eve could of chose to listen to God and not give in to satan.
That is why I have so much hatred for satan. Because if it wasn't for satan adam and eve wouldn't have fell. And then Jesus wouldn't have had to do what He did for us.
I mean I know Jesus chose to but things that stick out to me are him bleeding sweat, him asking God if were possible for him not to have to go through with this, him hanging on the cross asking "God why have you forsaken me. "
So often times I am troubled when people make it seem like this was something Jesus was looking forward to doing.[/quote]
First off. Satan was not closest to God. He was not the greatest of all angels. Not even close, not at all. That is a false and naive idea based on a verse of Isaiah whom the ancients saw the planet Venus as a symbol of Satan (I hope to write a blog on this later this week). Satan rejected God before He could even become close to God in the Beautific Vision. As opposed to Saint Michael who accepted Jesus Christ and become the greatest of all the holy angels seeing God face to face in Heaven, and is assigned some of the greatest tasks ever, in salvation history (past, present and future).

Satan was not primarly instrumental in Adam and Eve's fall. You have to get that out of your mind. Adam and Eve were in communion with God. They knew better. As you said they chose freely. They were tested, as God desires to test everyone's love, and to see if they are silver tested by fire as the Psalm reveals:

{11:7} The eloquence of the Lord is pure eloquence, silver tested by fire, purged from the earth, refined seven times.

There is a theological theory that the Son of God would still have Incarnated Himself even if the fall would not have occured. Perhaps He still would have died somehow in pure love of the Father in order to manifest to all of creation the truth of what it means to participate in the life of the Holy Trinity.

You must concede that some of the things we are discussing here are mysteries. And I dare say even in Heaven we shall not fully fathom them. Yet slowly we will come to understand them even deeper and deeper for all eternity.

Edited by kafka

Good good stuff. thank you for your time.
I again want to state i am in no way angry at God.
I love God, He gave us life, He died for us.

I always thought satan was Gods closest angel. I dont know where I got that from.
I also thought it was mostly satans fault for the fall of mankind.
Although your perspective makes sence.
Alright dude time to pass out.
Godbless !

AccountDeleted

[quote name='kafka' post='1788041' date='Feb 22 2009, 02:19 AM']First off read this:

"When the angels were first created, they did not have the Beatific Vision. They had a dwelling place in the heavens, but it was not the Heaven in Eternity with the Beatific Vision. For anyone who has the Beatific Vision cannot sin or fall from grace; and we know that many angels did fall.

Then God tested the angels, to see if they were worthy of Heaven, for no one can enter heaven except through the Son of God. So they were shown Jesus Christ, the Son of God, on the Cross, suffering and weak and humiliated. And they were told to worship Him. Most obeyed, accepting this command out of faith and love and hope, not fully understanding its meaning. But many angels turned away from God because they refused to worship someone who was seemingly less then themselves. The reason that some angels refused to worship God-made-man is that human nature includes a physical part (the body), making human beings inferior to the angels, who are pure spirit. This refusal to worship Christ came from pride: so pride goes before a fall. They relied on their high intellect, which could not fully understand this mystery, rather than relying on grace and faith. Their pride in their own power caused them to reject Jesus Christ in his humility. So these angels forever lost the grace of God, becoming fallen angels (also called devils or demons). Then they were barred by God from the Heaven of Eternity and the Beatific Vision. But they were allowed for a time to roam the heavens and the earth. (When Scripture describes fallen angels as being in heaven, it means the heavens and the spiritual realm in general, but not the Heaven which is in Eternity and which includes the Beatific Vision of God.)"

{8:6} You reduced him to a little less than the Angels; you have crowned him with glory and honor,

The reason the fallen angels could not repent after they had rejected Christ and the gift of grace is that they are pure spiritual beings. They grasp truth clearly and purely unlike men who grasp truth through symbols, in a shadow type way. Therefore once the angels made their choice it was forever, unlike humans who (thankfully) have the choice many times in their lives to choose Christ and grace and repentance, and a new life, and accept the merciful covenant God offers to men. And only at the moment of our deaths, is our final choice forever. As Rahner taught, "Death is Judgment."

God hates Satan (meaning adversary) and the fallen angels because of what they have done just as God in a sense hates the unjust for what they have done even though in their fundamental being angels and men are created in God's image and likeness. Therefore it is o.k. to hate the fallen angels, and hate the unjust, in so far one hates them because of their evil deeds. Just as it is o.k. to hate the sins of ones own past yet it is not o.k. to hate one's own self.

This all being said I find it erroneous for Catholics to place to much weight on the temptations of Satan and the fallen angels. There is an aspect of Christ being crucified because of Satan and the fallen angels yet this is secondary, to the true reason of the Cross. Notice Christ in the desert easily defeated the temptations of Satan, even before his public ministry and His Passion and Death. It is us, and our sinfullness that Christ died on the Cross for. It primarily had nothing to do with Satan and the fallen angels, for they were already lost. Yet we were not and Christ, by His death merited for us salvific grace, which transcends our falleness. God permits the fallen angels to tempt us only on occasion. I repeat only on occasion. For our real battle is concupiscience (the remants of original sin), and the influences of the fallen-sinful world. Christ is the King. Christ has "sent forth His Spirit" and is renewing the face of the earth, in spite of the fact that He permits fallen angels to still roam the earth and tempt men (only) on occasion. And that occasion is for His and our greater glory.

Amen.

Praise and glory be to Jesus Christ,
Who is meek, mild, bold and powerful.
Who is renown, and shall be renown,
The King of all. Now and even forever![/quote]

This was great - thank you. There is still one point that I would like to clarify however, and that is the difference between hating the sin and the sinner. I would be hesitant to say, as you did, that God hates Satan. I found this on another forum (emphasis is mine)...

[i]Satan is not sin. Satan is a fallen angel who chose to turn away from God. When God created the angels, he created them good and gave them the free will to choose to love him or to choose to turn away from him. Because of their purely spiritual natures and their greater intellect, the choice of the angels was one irrevocable choice for God or for self. The fallen angels chose self. [b]While God loves every being he has created[/b], he will not force his love on anyone and will allow them to choose against him.
Michelle Arnold, Apologist Catholic Answers[/i]

and

[i]To love the good is to hate its opposite: evil. To the degree that there is good in Satan, it is possible to love that. Metaphysically he has goodness. [b]His act of existing shows forth God’s goodness as does all that exists[/b]. [u]But that which is evil about him we must hate[/u].

It is of great importance that we understand this. [b]We must love the sinner, but hate the sin[/b]. To love the sin would be the worst thing that we can do for the sinner.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.[/i]

The reason I like to clarify this is to make sure that we are not filling our hearts with a personal form of hatred. To hate sin is good but to put our focus on Satan is to take it away from God, so even spending time hating him (or other evil spirits) is counter-productive to our souls.

I agree with you though kafka, that Satan was not the reason for Christ's suffering and death. Although Satan tempted Eve, she chose, of her own free will, to disobey God, just as Satan chose to defy Him. God allows Satan to tempt us to test us and strengthen us, but He does this out of love, and if we obey Him, we will not be tested beyond our strength, we will only grow in faith and love. We are responsible for our own actions and we are responsible for Christ's sacrifice - He didn't die to save Satan, who was beyond redemption, He died to save mankind from its sins. We are the cause of His death, but we are also the beneficiaries of His total act of self-giving. We are truly blessed and loved beyond our ability to comprehend.

[quote name='nunsense' post='1789025' date='Feb 23 2009, 12:30 AM']This was great - thank you. There is still one point that I would like to clarify however, and that is the difference between hating the sin and the sinner. I would be hesitant to say, as you did, that God hates Satan. I found this on another forum (emphasis is mine)...

[i]Satan is not sin. Satan is a fallen angel who chose to turn away from God. When God created the angels, he created them good and gave them the free will to choose to love him or to choose to turn away from him. Because of their purely spiritual natures and their greater intellect, the choice of the angels was one irrevocable choice for God or for self. The fallen angels chose self. [b]While God loves every being he has created[/b], he will not force his love on anyone and will allow them to choose against him.
Michelle Arnold, Apologist Catholic Answers[/i]

and

[i]To love the good is to hate its opposite: evil. To the degree that there is good in Satan, it is possible to love that. Metaphysically he has goodness. [b]His act of existing shows forth God’s goodness as does all that exists[/b]. [u]But that which is evil about him we must hate[/u].

It is of great importance that we understand this. [b]We must love the sinner, but hate the sin[/b]. To love the sin would be the worst thing that we can do for the sinner.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.[/i]

The reason I like to clarify this is to make sure that we are not filling our hearts with a personal form of hatred. To hate sin is good but to put our focus on Satan is to take it away from God, so even spending time hating him (or other evil spirits) is counter-productive to our souls.

I agree with you though kafka, that Satan was not the reason for Christ's suffering and death. Although Satan tempted Eve, she chose, of her own free will, to disobey God, just as Satan chose to defy Him. God allows Satan to tempt us to test us and strengthen us, but He does this out of love, and if we obey Him, we will not be tested beyond our strength, we will only grow in faith and love. We are responsible for our own actions and we are responsible for Christ's sacrifice - He didn't die to save Satan, who was beyond redemption, He died to save mankind from its sins. We are the cause of His death, but we are also the beneficiaries of His total act of self-giving. We are truly blessed and loved beyond our ability to comprehend.[/quote]

I just dont agree with the part where you say we should try to love the good in satan. What good is there in satan ? If the Bible is true and I am to believe it I see no good in satan. Satan knew what would happen if he tempted adam and eve. Look at the world we live in. People are starving, people are murdered brutally everyday, and on top of that Christ was beaten on a cross because of the fall of mankind which came from satan. Satan hated us or he wouldn't have introduced death into the world. Yes adam and even disobeyed but it was a result of a temptation by satan. If satan never would of did what he did then he would have never been there to tempt us. I see no love in him and therefore find it impossible to love the good in him.

Edited by Guest

I see what you are getting at nunsense, yet here is a more balanced view:

Hate is used in different ways in the Bible. Yet here we are talking about a hate which stems from God hating the evil of sin.

Now God loves sinners because human nature and angelic nature as created by God is inherently good; it is a reflection of God himself. God can no more hate human nature and angelic nature than he can hate himself.

Still, God hates sinners in that He hates sin. If someone has abandoned good and embraced evil (like the fallen angels and sinners who die in final unrepentance), it can truly be said, in a limited sense, that God hates those persons, since they have chosen to live evil, despite having a good nature. It is a refined and balanced way at seeing things. All acts proceed from personhood (the very root and origin of our beings) therefore acts are in a sense connected to who and what we are.

Consider these verses of the Psalms which is Christ speaking to us:

{138:19} O God, if only you would cut down sinners. You men of blood: depart from me.
{138:20} For you say in thought: They will accept your cities in vain.
{138:21} [b]Have I not hated those who hated you, Lord, and wasted away because of your enemies?[/b]
{138:22} [b]I have hated them with a perfect hatred, and they have become enemies to me.[/b]
{138:23} Examine me, O God, and know my heart. Question me, and know my paths.
{138:24} And see if there might be in me the way of iniquity, and lead me in the way of eternity.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='kafka' post='1789076' date='Feb 22 2009, 10:01 PM']I see what you are getting at nunsense, yet here is a more balanced view:

Hate is used in different ways in the Bible. Yet here we are talking about a hate which stems from God hating the evil of sin.

Now God loves sinners because human nature and angelic nature as created by God is inherently good; it is a reflection of God himself. God can no more hate human nature and angelic nature than he can hate himself.

Still, God hates sinners in that He hates sin. If someone has abandoned good and embraced evil (like the fallen angels and sinners who die in final unrepentance), it can truly be said, in a limited sense, that God hates those persons, since they have chosen to live evil, despite having a good nature. It is a refined and balanced way at seeing things. All acts proceed from personhood (the very root and origin of our beings) therefore acts are in a sense connected to who and what we are.

Consider these verses of the Psalms which is Christ speaking to us:

{138:19} O God, if only you would cut down sinners. You men of blood: depart from me.
{138:20} For you say in thought: They will accept your cities in vain.
{138:21} [b]Have I not hated those who hated you, Lord, and wasted away because of your enemies?[/b]
{138:22} [b]I have hated them with a perfect hatred, and they have become enemies to me.[/b]
{138:23} Examine me, O God, and know my heart. Question me, and know my paths.
{138:24} And see if there might be in me the way of iniquity, and lead me in the way of eternity.[/quote]

kafka - Thank you. I would like to see more quotes from the New Testament in Our Lord's reported words, but I do get your point. My slant here though is that we need to focus on our love for God, not on any hatred for Satan. Not only did St Michael refuse to rebuke Satan, but we are also told that only God has the right to judge - not us.

St John the Apostle says [i]"This is what we have heard from him and are declaring to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. "[/i]

If God does hate (you say: "Yet here we are talking about a hate which stems from God hating the evil of sin."), then He does it in a way that we can't do, because in Him there is no darkness, whereas hatred in us is very dark indeed.

You say your way is more balanced, but to me, I think sometimes that Jesus' words are not taken literally enough (as unbalanced as this might seem)...

Jesus said, [i]"You have heard that it was said, `You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, [b]love your enemies[/b], bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for [u]He makes His sun to rise on the evil [/u]and on the good, and [u]sends rain on the just and on the unjust[/u]. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect"[/i] (Matthew 5:43-48).

So how can we follow Our Lord's teachings if we are spending our time hating, even Satan? When Jesus was with the Apostle's before His Passion, he told them that Satan was coming but He also said,
[i]"I shall not talk to you much longer, because the prince of this world is on his way. [b]He has no power over me, but the world must recognise that I love the Father [/b]and that I act just as the Father commanded. Come now, let us go. "[/i] (John:14:30-31)

He didn't focus on Satan or express any hatred towards him, he was more intent on letting everyone know that He loved the Father! This is my model, as much as is possible for me.