An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ash Wednesday, Fasting & Abstinence

Archaeology cat

Archaeology cat

Does abstinence on Ash Wednesday refer specifically to not eating meat, or can it be substituted by something else? I am asking because the parish newsletter this week said it could be giving up anything, not necessarily abstaining from eating meat, but I had been under the impression that it did mean to abstain from meat. All I can find from the Bishop's Conference here is [url="http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resources/Penance/Abstinence.pdf"]this[/url], which seems to be speaking more of Fridays outside of Lent. I didn't get a chance to speak with my priest after Mass this week, so any clarification is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

JMJ
2/23 - St. Polycarp (St. Peter Damian)

Archaeology cat,

When it comes to Ash Wednesday, the Fridays of Lent, and Good Friday, "abstinence" is to be taken in a strict sense, meaning abstaining from eating the meat of warm-blooded animals. Most seafood is legit, unless you're into eating dolphin or right whale. :P Hope this helps.

Yours,
Deacon Pio Nono

The Code of Canon Law says:

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

You would have to check with the USCCB site.In Australia the Aust Catholic Bishops conference has determined abstinence from meat is the norm, but it is only on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

From Canon Law:

Canon 1251: Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Canon 1252: The law of abstinence binds those who have completed their fourteenth year. The law of fasting binds those who have attained their majority, until the beginning of their sixtieth year. Pastors of souls and parents are to ensure that even those who by reason of their age are not bound by the law of fasting and abstinence, are taught the true meaning of penance.

The amendment that the USCCB has made for the US is changing the age from 18 to 60. In your jurisdiction, there may be other changes or additions. Individuals who would be adversely affected by fasting due to their jobs (no one wants a light-headed fireman responding to a fire), or due to health concerns are exempted. As an example, fishermen are specifically exempted in the Philippines.

In 1966 when Paenitemini was released, the thinking was that we had become so used to not eating meat on all Fridays, that it had lost if's meaning for us. By allowing us to do other penance instead, it was thought, it would put the meaning back into the practice for us. All it seemed to do was make Catholics think they didn't have to do it at all anymore. We have forgotten that penance isn't something we [i]have[/i] to do, it is something we have the privilege of doing.

"Through fasting and praying, we allow Him to come and satisfy the deepest hunger that we experience in the depths of our being: the hunger and thirst for God." — Pope Benedict XVI's 2009 Lenten Message.

[quote name='StColette' post='1789426' date='Feb 23 2009, 02:06 PM']Not to detract from the Q & A here, but Welcome Catherine to the Church Scholars!! I was getting kinda lonely being the only lady.[/quote]

Thanks, I just hope the powers that be won't end up regretting their decision.