An Old School Catholic Message Board

Visiting The Poor Clares...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

InHisLove726

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1794786' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:49 PM']I am back, and it was so beautiful. I could just stay there forever. I did lots of work, prayed a lot, and had such a holy time. It was amazing the grace this weekend was. The Novice Mistress gave me the most beautiful thing I have ever read about vocations [i]ever[/i]. It was so eloquent, simple, straightforward, and so [b]BEAUTIFUL[/b]! It made me want to drop everything and follow the call He has given me immediately and stop for no reason.
I also was there (but not at the chapter meeting where it was decided/announced) when Sister John Paul's petition was accepted and she will be making first vows on Divine Mercy Sunday! Please keep her in your prayers.
Why has it been so many years that I've been following this calling, and I still have not entered?

Also, nuns like to give you stuff. Lots and lots of stuff.

And, I went to the grocery store to get some food stuffs, and I got some golden potatoes and some onions (they were on sale and I wasn't sure what their restrictions are at lent). I meant to leave some money with them when I left, but I forgot!

Thank you for your prayers and...
THERE WAS A LIGHTER ON THE STOVE WHEN I GOT THERE, and I only used it once. Praised be Jesus Christ! :lol:

Please, if you would, continue praying for me, especially that I act on the grace that God has given me. Thank you so much! God bless you all![/quote]

Is there something that is preventing you from asking for an application? I know that fear drove me to believe that I wouldn't be ready when I met my Sisters for the first time, but all that fear was banished when God told me I was ready.

It seems to me that this place really moves your heart whenever you visit! I think it's time to get the ball rolling! I'll pray for you that you receive the grace to do what the Lord is asking of you. God bless!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1794786' date='Mar 2 2009, 05:49 AM']Why has it been so many years that I've been following this calling, and I still have not entered?[/quote]

Welcome to my life :lol_roll:

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1794786' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:49 AM']I am back, and it was so beautiful. I could just stay there forever. I did lots of work, prayed a lot, and had such a holy time. It was amazing the grace this weekend was. The Novice Mistress gave me the most beautiful thing I have ever read about vocations [i]ever[/i]. It was so eloquent, simple, straightforward, and so [b]BEAUTIFUL[/b]! It made me want to drop everything and follow the call He has given me immediately and stop for no reason.
I also was there (but not at the chapter meeting where it was decided/announced) when Sister John Paul's petition was accepted and she will be making first vows on Divine Mercy Sunday! Please keep her in your prayers.
Why has it been so many years that I've been following this calling, and I still have not entered?

Also, nuns like to give you stuff. Lots and lots of stuff.

And, I went to the grocery store to get some food stuffs, and I got some golden potatoes and some onions (they were on sale and I wasn't sure what their restrictions are at lent). I meant to leave some money with them when I left, but I forgot!

Thank you for your prayers and...
THERE WAS A LIGHTER ON THE STOVE WHEN I GOT THERE, and I only used it once. Praised be Jesus Christ! :lol:

Please, if you would, continue praying for me, especially that I act on the grace that God has given me. Thank you so much! God bless you all![/quote]

I am so happy and excited for you! :)

I pray that you will continue to hear the Lord's most gentle and loving voice speak to your heart, and that you will do all that He asks of you with love, patience, and faithfulness.

He will surely give you what you need to accomplish His most holy and perfect will! I will keep a prayer for you in my heart.

God bless you!

shadowedseraph

I'm glad you had such a holy time :) i hope that entering or not becomes easier on your soul with Gods loving help

Why do people think you have to run in and fill an application form out after one good visit. Slow down. You need time and space to make decisions, not in the afterglow where everything was wonderful. Take time to digest what really went on, how you reacted to the entire situation. The more you visit, the more places your visit will help cement your decision. I really do applaud your not coming to a rash decision, in time His will for you will become known to you.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='alicemary' post='1795072' date='Mar 2 2009, 06:05 PM']Why do people think you have to run in and fill an application form out after one good visit. Slow down. You need time and space to make decisions, not in the afterglow where everything was wonderful. Take time to digest what really went on, how you reacted to the entire situation. The more you visit, the more places your visit will help cement your decision. I really do applaud your not coming to a rash decision, in time His will for you will become known to you.[/quote]

For some people, God makes the journey pass at one pace. For others, he gives them something a little quicker. For others still, one yet slower. Why the constant pressure to go slow [i]all the time[/i]?

FutureNun has, I believe, been in contact with this community for a while (if I have my facts straight). It's hardly her rushing headlong and, at least in your eyes, foolishly, into a commitment. Sometimes if someone (not that I'm saying FN is doing this) is dallying more than Our Lord pleases, He might just give them encouragement to kick it up a bit.

Edited by puellapaschalis

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1795085' date='Mar 2 2009, 10:35 AM']For some people, God makes the journey pass at one pace. For others, he gives them something a little quicker. For others still, one yet slower. Why the constant pressure to just not do anything?

FutureNun has, I believe, been in contact with this community for a while (if I have my facts straight). It's hardly her rushing headlong and, at least in your eyes, foolishly, into a commitment. Sometimes if someone (not that I'm saying FN is doing this) is dallying more than Our Lord pleases, He might just give them encouragement to kick it up a bit.[/quote]

Yes, I have been in contact/visiting/discerning with them for just over 3 years! I felt that back while in college, I was to leave and seek entrance, but, I obeyed my mother and graduated. It was very difficult to remain in the world all those years. I even have an application! I just have not filled it out and gotten all the items needed (like a medical exam, etc.) and now I have a good portion of debt to pay off before I can do anything.
I have been wondering if I have been dallying as I have not been very active in seeking work to pay off that debt so I can enter soon (God willing!)
I started a Novena to St. Anthony while I was there for clarification as to where God wants me. I know that He still desires me to enter the religious life, but the grace of a vocation to the religious life can be lost! I was afraid at first that I had lost it, but He has shown me that it is still there, and He is still calling. But, He cannot wait forever. He knows that I am very weak, and quite often indecisive and He has great mercy on me. I am so grateful for that!
If you do not act on the grace given, He cannot give you more graces that build upon that grace, and like the parable of the talents, it can be taken away.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

If anyone has a chance and is willing, I would recommend reading [i]Vocations [/i]by Rev. William Doyle, S.J. It is from the beginning of the last century, but the words ring true, even today. I was given a 'copy' of it by the Sisters. It is what I read while I was visiting. [url="http://www.archive.org/stream/fatherwilliamdoy00orahuoft/fatherwilliamdoy00orahuoft_djvu.txt"]Here is a link[/url] to read it online if you wish. The Sisters did add some words of our Holy Father, Benedict XVI as well to their 'edition.' When I have some more time, I will post those as well.

Edited by FutureNunJMJ

InHisLove726

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1795092' date='Mar 2 2009, 11:48 AM']Yes, I have been in contact/visiting/discerning with them for just over 3 years! I felt that back while in college, I was to leave and seek entrance, but, I obeyed my mother and graduated. It was very difficult to remain in the world all those years. I even have an application! I just have not filled it out and gotten all the items needed (like a medical exam, etc.) and now I have a good portion of debt to pay off before I can do anything.
I have been wondering if I have been dallying as I have not been very active in seeking work to pay off that debt so I can enter soon (God willing!)
I started a Novena to St. Anthony while I was there for clarification as to where God wants me. I know that He still desires me to enter the religious life, but the grace of a vocation to the religious life can be lost! I was afraid at first that I had lost it, but He has shown me that it is still there, and He is still calling. But, He cannot wait forever. He knows that I am very weak, and quite often indecisive and He has great mercy on me. I am so grateful for that!
If you do not act on the grace given, He cannot give you more graces that build upon that grace, and like the parable of the talents, it can be taken away.[/quote]

I'm sure God appreciates you honoring your mother, but you must remember the story of Jesus asking His disciples to leave their father at that moment and follow Him. :D

It sounds like you made the decision to apply a while ago. I'm at the same step myself and I know how daunting it can be because you are afraid of not being accepted and being accepted all at the same time. I'm a little frightened but MOSTLY happy and joyful at being given an application. Somehow, for me, it means I took the step in the right direction.

I understand how confusing this is. I met a girl on retreat that was in the process of applying but decided she should check out a cloister first because she really wants to focus more on the contemplative aspect rather than balanced active/contemplative apostolates. Is this the first community you were ever in contact with? Sometimes it takes a few visits to other orders to realize that the one you like the most is the one you belong in. I have another friend that is applying after figuring this out. She went on a nun run and realized the only place she was the happiest was the one she had visited the most.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was pressing you. I know very little about your story, so you might have a very good reason for holding this off. If you don't have a spiritual director, I would recommend finding one! It sounds like you could use further help in your discernment.

One last thought from Pope John Paul II:

[quote]Believing and loving God means a consistent life, lived wholly in the light of the Gospel;…this is not easy. It often calls for great courage in going against the trends of fashion and the opinions of our world. But this-I repeat-is the one requirement for a truly successful and happy life.

If some of you hear the call to follow Christ more closely, to dedicate your entire heart to Him, like the apostles John and Paul, be generous, do not be afraid, because you have nothing to fear when the prize that you await is God himself, for whom, sometimes without ever knowing it, all young people are searching.

Take heart young people! Christ is calling you and the world awaits you! Remember that the Kingdom of God needs your generous and complete dedication. Every vocation, every path to which Christ calls us, ultimately leads to fulfillment and happiness, because it leads to God, to sharing in God's own life.

Know the greatness of this mission, let yourselves be completely caught up in this whirlpool at whose center God himself is at work. Be fully aware of carrying out a mission that cannot be replaced. Do not let tiredness or disappointment dull that freshness of self-giving that the priestly (or religious) vocation demands.

Be certain that, if you listen to His call and follow Him, you will find great joy and happiness. Be generous, take courage, and remember His promise: "My yoke is easy and My burden light" (Mt 11:30).[/quote]

May God bless you and give you His peace!

Edited by InHisLove726

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1795126' date='Mar 2 2009, 11:27 AM']I'm sure God appreciates you honoring your mother, but you must remember the story of Jesus asking His disciples to leave their father at that moment and follow Him. :D

It sounds like you made the decision to apply a while ago. I'm at the same step myself and I know how daunting it can be because you are afraid of not being accepted and being accepted all at the same time. I'm a little frightened but MOSTLY happy and joyful at being given an application. Somehow, for me, it means I took the step in the right direction.

I understand how confusing this is. I met a girl on retreat that was in the process of applying but decided she should check out a cloister first because she really wants to focus more on the contemplative aspect rather than balanced active/contemplative apostolates. Is this the first community you were ever in contact with? Sometimes it takes a few visits to other orders to realize that the one you like the most is the one you belong in. I have another friend that is applying after figuring this out. She went on a nun run and realized the only place she was the happiest was the one she had visited the most.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was pressing you. I know very little about your story, so you might have a very good reason for holding this off. If you don't have a spiritual director, I would recommend finding one! It sounds like you could use further help in your discernment.

One last thought from Pope John Paul II:

May God bless you and give you His peace![/quote]

No worries. I know that I haven't been around here in a long time and you would really have to dig I think to find my whole story! I don't imagine you have time for that. ;) I've visited a few other communities and have helped or attended events by others, so I think I have a rounded experience. My first visited community was the lovely Lockport Dominicans. My first visit to the Poor Clares felt like home though. I feel like I wish I could be there forever every time I have to leave. I feel very sure that this is it, but I want to make sure, which is the purpose of my novena. I have a wonderful habit of making things far more confusing than they need to be.
If this is not where I am to be, God will make that apparent in the postulancy/novitiate. I just need to trust, and dive into the heart of Our Lord and do what I need to do. I have not been acting on the grace of being called to the religious life. I don't think I am fearful of rejection or the uncertainties that it could hold, it's rather I am easily distracted and even quite lazy. I have begun to work on this for Lent. Thank you for all your advice and counsel. :) I appreciate it!

InHisLove726

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1795310' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:31 PM']No worries. I know that I haven't been around here in a long time and you would really have to dig I think to find my whole story! I don't imagine you have time for that. ;) I've visited a few other communities and have helped or attended events by others, so I think I have a rounded experience. My first visited community was the lovely Lockport Dominicans. My first visit to the Poor Clares felt like home though. I feel like I wish I could be there forever every time I have to leave. I feel very sure that this is it, but I want to make sure, which is the purpose of my novena. I have a wonderful habit of making things far more confusing than they need to be.
If this is not where I am to be, God will make that apparent in the postulancy/novitiate. I just need to trust, and dive into the heart of Our Lord and do what I need to do. I have not been acting on the grace of being called to the religious life. I don't think I am fearful of rejection or the uncertainties that it could hold, it's rather I am easily distracted and even quite lazy. I have begun to work on this for Lent. Thank you for all your advice and counsel. :) I appreciate it![/quote]

I am happy to help in any way that I can. ;)