An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are You Call To Be A Sister, Nun, Or A Priest?

elizabeth09

elizabeth09

I have been call to become a either a sister or a nun, but there are more. I just want to know if anyone had a thinking that they are going to marry someone and then God pulls on you heart telling you to become a sister, nun or a priest soon? :blink:

In The Arms of The Lord

I am called to become a cloistered nun. Growing up I never knew what a religious vocation was. I always thought I would get married and have a family, like the people around me. Years later, after an experience, Our precious Lord had taught me such much. He still does everyday. I know more than ever that if He wasn't leading me and guiding me I would be lost. He is my all. Without Him I know my heart and soul would die. For so long my heart and soul were filled with so much pain, I believe it was because they were so longing for the Lord, but I wasn't paying any attention. Then I called on His sweet Name.

He didn't just pull at my heart, He pulled my heart right out of my chest and took it into His hands and said to me, "Your heart belongs to Me now, and I'm not giving it back. You are Mine."

Edited by In The Arms of The Lord

InHisLove726

Yes, I believed that I was destined to be married in my earlier years. I grew up wanting a large family (6 children). I always tried to imagine what my husband would look like, and I went through the phases of having crushes on young men and movie stars.

But all that changed for me when I started discerning in Dec. 2007. I discovered the mystical espousal of Christ to His brides in the Church. It was then that I discovered the beautiful vocation of a religious Sister and the Lord asked me to be His alone.

It hasn't been easy at all. There are days where I ask the Lord, "Why me?" I still desire children and a good husband, but I believe, ultimately, these desires will be fulfilled. Jesus will be my Spouse, and His children will become my own! The desire to be a mother will extend to all on earth through my prayers and the ministry of the religious order I will join.

I am applying to the religious order of the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee, WI. Their apostolates are taking care of the elderly and troubled children. I believe my motherly desires will come in handy so that I am an empathetic helper of God's children.

This is such a beautiful vocation. If you are called to be a religious, it's wonderful to have desires of motherhood and marriage. In fact, I think it's a bad thing to go into religious life not wanting children and a husband, relating to what I discussed above.

:D

Mari Therese

I never really thought much about God's will up until a few years ago. My upbringing never afforded me to learn that there was even such a thing as a vocation in the Church. I always assumed that I would end up getting married and have kids, a house, car, career and a dog and a cat. God has seen fit to offer me an invitation to religious life, something that totally wasn't on my radar.

elizabeth09

Guess that I am not the only one on this site that might become a sister, nun, or a priest (for men)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='elizabeth09' post='1794332' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:11 PM']Guess that I am not the only one on this site that might become a sister, nun, or a priest (for men)[/quote]

Not by a long shot ;)

InHisLove726

[quote name='elizabeth09' post='1794332' date='Mar 1 2009, 03:11 PM']Guess that I am not the only one on this site that might become a sister, nun, or a priest (for men)[/quote]

Nope, not at all. :P: :D :topsy: :lol_roll:

InHisLove726

[quote name='elizabeth09' post='1794557' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:07 PM']It is fine if you are not call.[/quote]

If you are not called to religious life, there are still the vocations of marriage and consecrated single life to be considered. Marriage is often looked at as a "regular" Sacrament, but within it, the two married persons CAN become saints. Look at St. Therese of Lisieux's parents, Louis and Zelie Martin. They were beatified together in October 2008, and are one step away from becoming canonized! :D

[quote name='elizabeth09' post='1794138' date='Mar 1 2009, 01:53 AM']I have been call to become a either a sister or a nun, but there are more. I just want to know if anyone had a thinking that they are going to marry someone and then God pulls on you heart telling you to become a sister, nun or a priest soon? :blink:[/quote]

Yes! Well, it wasn't to the extent that I was ready to marry someone. But I [i]thought[/i] I was called to be married. A few months ago I even met this great guy and was starting to get to know him. I wanted to get to know him better, because he had a lot of the qualities that I look for in a guy. Then when I met with my spiritual director, she asked me if I thought I was called to religious life, would I be willing to follow that. I said I hoped so. We then proceeded to discuss why I felt called to marriage. While I stated all my reasons, I realized they were so weak. She even commented later that I didn't sound like I believed myself. I was starting to get more confused, because I was starting to really like this guys. I was very confused and trying to do everything I could to justify my call to marriage. While on retreat, I realized so very clearly what God wants of me that I knew I couldn't do anything else. I realized that even though I did have feelings for this guy, God is calling me to something else, and I have to follow that. I've realized also that it's been a process that has been spread out over the last five years. It's only been about two weeks now since I finally realized it and even in the midst of the disbelief, I feel so much peace and joy.

Right now I know that I am being called to the seminary to investigate a potential call to the priesthood. If I discover that God truly is not calling me then I will be a better man for investigating what it is God is wanting me to do with my life. In my mind, it's all about doing God's will. Coming to know what His will is takes some hard prayer, but He always gives you an answer!

May God be with you during your time of discernment! :-)

[quote name='elizabeth09' post='1794138' date='Mar 1 2009, 12:53 AM']I have been call to become a either a sister or a nun, but there are more. I just want to know if anyone had a thinking that they are going to marry someone and then God pulls on you heart telling you to become a sister, nun or a priest soon? :blink:[/quote]

I am currently discerning right now...and yes, I had begun to plan for engagement to my girlfriend, but the the thought about vocation to priesthood came strongly and I had to decide to end the relatioship. I've thought of this vocation since I was 12 but never convinced myself to do anything about it until 2 1/2 years ago...and then...convinced myself out of it again. Finally, I had to do it. -- it had been hard to let go the relationship with my girlfriend until I talked to a priest.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='water' post='1803892' date='Mar 11 2009, 09:37 PM']I am currently discerning right now...and yes, I had begun to plan for engagement to my girlfriend, but the the thought about vocation to priesthood came strongly and I had to decide to end the relatioship. I've thought of this vocation since I was 12 but never convinced myself to do anything about it until 2 1/2 years ago...and then...convinced myself out of it again. Finally, I had to do it. -- it had been hard to let go the relationship with my girlfriend until I talked to a priest.[/quote]

I've been in similar situations myself and have some idea of how tough it can be. Well done for doing what you really believe to be right, even though it was difficult. Keep praying :sign: