An Old School Catholic Message Board

Habits

DevotedtoHim

DevotedtoHim

I am starting this thread from another one.

Have any of you ever worn a habit (or religious dress/outfit/uniform - whatever you want to call it?) out in public? Does anybody know what specifically are the real rules? (Also, did you make it yourself or did you buy it or did someone give it to you?)

Also, have you ever gone somewhere (like a retreat or even to Mass) and been mistaken for a religious because of what you wear? Such as a headscarf, long skirt, big Cross, etc. How did you feel and what did you say?

I think this is a very interesting subject!

Katherine

Edited by DevotedtoHim

Mari Therese

I have never worn any kind of religious dress. Out of respect for religious life, I personally feel that only vowed brides of Christ, and those in formation should be allowed to wear any kind of habit or uniform. I wouldn't want to mislead people into thinking I was a religious.

I was told that the habit is a sacramental, and that when people see a sister in her habit they can receive grace. I think that it's really cool that a sister can instantly point a person to God by her visible witness.

Several times I've been mistaken for a postulant in a religious community that I've discerned with, the Mother just smiles and says no, but God willing, maybe yes someday soon. I always feel kind of flattered when this happens, and I do find it encouraging, but I try to stay humble and not let it get to my head which is big enough already. ;) It's all according to God's will.

puellapaschalis

I haven't, but I have been called "Sister" (other than when I was visiting and one of the community let it slip out). I think it's because I tend to wear a headscarf even when I'm not in church (which I do mainly for practical reasons - if it's not pinned to my hair I'm liable to lose it). But if someone asks me about it I make it clear that I'm not a sister.

I also have a small oblate scapular which, if I wear (oblates are permitted to wear a Benedictine medal or the like in place of it), I wear under my clothes.

elizabeth09

I have never worn a habit, but I will wear a habit in public. I was with a group of sisters and someone stop to know which order they were from. That was a cool witness to see it happen. :cool!:

kavalamyself

I usually wear a habit when I go to Mass. My priest knows and is fine with it, according to him it is fine because I am not impersonating a sister or an order, I don't ask for money (as in fraud), and religious women do not receive a sacrament when they become religious as opposed to men who receive Holy Orders if they become priests, and nuns/sisters don't have any special abilities (like hearing confessions). According to him, it is a sacramental (and he blessed mine) and as such can be used for the greater good in bringing God's grace to the one who uses it as well as the ones who come into contact with it. I feel a lot holier when I wear it and it helps me concentrate and I also think it helps me get ready for the day when I will wear one all the time. I recommend Gothic Garments: [url="http://www.gothicgarments.com/index.html"]http://www.gothicgarments.com/index.html[/url].

They sell men's habits, but I wouldn't advise wearing one. It is not only against church law (for the above reasons) but it is against the law to impersonate a priest.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1798340' date='Mar 6 2009, 12:11 AM']They sell men's habits, but I wouldn't advise wearing one. It is not only against church law (for the above reasons) but it is against the law to impersonate a priest.[/quote]

A habit for men is not the same as priestly garb.

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1798340' date='Mar 5 2009, 03:11 PM']They sell men's habits, but I wouldn't advise wearing one. It is not only against church law (for the above reasons) but it is against the law to impersonate a priest.[/quote]

[i]This could be the stupidest question ever, but is it against Church law, and/or the law everyone is supposed to abide by?[/i]

Nevermind--I just read your post a bit more carefully, and answered my own question. :rolleyes:

Maybe then, could you explain why it's against the law to impersonate a priest? I'd find it disrespectful to in the first place, but that doesn't seem like something that would stop people...

Edited by rhetoricfemme

People could hurt the church by dressing up as priests and doing crazy stuff.

I don\t know if we have those rules here, but it\s wrong to impersonate the police.

My apostrophes seem to morph into slashes today.

DiscerningSoul

Someone said I looked like a sister when I wore a white blouse and black skirt with the 'promise cross' & miraculous medal on. I do like wearing St.Dominic's colors. [url="http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul/photos/1a7c6204882498/"]http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul/photos/1a7c6204882498/[/url]

But I would never wear a habit if I wasn't part of a community.
I do wear long skirts to Mass and veil but it's a lace veil, tring to live more traditional.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1798340' date='Mar 5 2009, 06:11 PM']I usually wear a habit when I go to Mass. My priest knows and is fine with it, according to him it is fine because I am not impersonating a sister or an order, I don't ask for money (as in fraud), and religious women do not receive a sacrament when they become religious as opposed to men who receive Holy Orders if they become priests, and nuns/sisters don't have any special abilities (like hearing confessions). According to him, it is a sacramental (and he blessed mine) and as such can be used for the greater good in bringing God's grace to the one who uses it as well as the ones who come into contact with it. I feel a lot holier when I wear it and it helps me concentrate and I also think it helps me get ready for the day when I will wear one all the time. I recommend Gothic Garments: [url="http://www.gothicgarments.com/index.html"]http://www.gothicgarments.com/index.html[/url].

They sell men's habits, but I wouldn't advise wearing one. It is not only against church law (for the above reasons) but it is against the law to impersonate a priest.[/quote]
Which one do you wear?

Saint Therese

I don't think the habit has any meaning, apart from living a life as a consecrated religious.
Therefore I would not wear one.

Edited by Saint Therese

Maria Faustina

Well, the only thing that comes close is I wear a rosary on my belt on the left side of my hip to school. I go to a public school where we do have uniforms, but no teacher has ever asked me to remove it from my belt. I started wearing it because of a book I was reading called "Our Lady of Kibeho". (good book, you should definetly read it) The rosary leads to questions and interests about the Catholic faith, which I always welcome. It also reminds me of the Consecration I made to Mary (St. Louis deMonfort) a couple months ago.

But my friends do call me "Sister" a lot :)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1798634' date='Mar 6 2009, 05:06 AM']Well, the only thing that comes close is I wear a rosary on my belt on the left side of my hip to school. I go to a public school where we do have uniforms, but no teacher has ever asked me to remove it from my belt. I started wearing it because of a book I was reading called "Our Lady of Kibeho". (good book, you should definetly read it) The rosary leads to questions and interests about the Catholic faith, which I always welcome. It also reminds me of the Consecration I made to Mary (St. Louis deMonfort) a couple months ago.

But my friends do call me "Sister" a lot :)[/quote]

:duh: I also loop a rosary around a belt loop on the left side of my skirt. It's the only way I know for sure that I have a rosary with me!

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1798340' date='Mar 5 2009, 06:11 PM']I usually wear a habit when I go to Mass. My priest knows and is fine with it, according to him it is fine because I am not impersonating a sister or an order, I don't ask for money (as in fraud), and religious women do not receive a sacrament when they become religious as opposed to men who receive Holy Orders if they become priests, and nuns/sisters don't have any special abilities (like hearing confessions). According to him, it is a sacramental (and he blessed mine) and as such can be used for the greater good in bringing God's grace to the one who uses it as well as the ones who come into contact with it. I feel a lot holier when I wear it and it helps me concentrate and I also think it helps me get ready for the day when I will wear one all the time. I recommend Gothic Garments: [url="http://www.gothicgarments.com/index.html"]http://www.gothicgarments.com/index.html[/url].[/quote]

Almost sounds like a Beguine.

Blessings,
Gemma