An Old School Catholic Message Board

Habits

DevotedtoHim

InHisLove726

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' post='1798244' date='Mar 5 2009, 03:44 PM']I am starting this thread from another one.

Have any of you ever worn a habit (or religious dress/outfit/uniform - whatever you want to call it?) out in public? Does anybody know what specifically are the real rules? (Also, did you make it yourself or did you buy it or did someone give it to you?)

Also, have you ever gone somewhere (like a retreat or even to Mass) and been mistaken for a religious because of what you wear? Such as a headscarf, long skirt, big Cross, etc. How did you feel and what did you say?

I think this is a very interesting subject!

Katherine[/quote]

No. I want to wait to wear the habit. I think that if I wore it before becoming a religious, it would lose at least some of its mystery and charm. :)

My mom often kids me that I am starting to appear like a Sister. I've changed my room a little because I wanted some devotional items in there to help me feel more surrounded by Christ's Passion. I've never had anyone on the street say I looked religious. :saint:

Edited by InHisLove726

AccountDeleted

I did wear a postulant outfit in public for awhile and I felt very conspicuous but it was a good witness as well.

I have concerns with people wearing garb that they aren't really entitled to, but I also don't know what the official stance is on this - so I guess I have to leave it up to the local Ordinary.

I know that when I was in Detroit, a deacon there would wear a priest's collar. He was asked why he did this since he wasn't a priest, and he said because it made the congregation show him respect. I just think this is wrong. But since his parish priest didn't say anything, what was anyone else to do??

People who are wearing clothes just so that others will treat them a certain way - well, it seems to me that if one wants to get the respect due to certain attire (whether it be police or army or religious), then they should actually do the job!

But I don't want to be uncharitable either, so I leave it up to the proper authorities to deal with this type of thing.

Edited by nunsense

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='nunsense' post='1799031' date='Mar 6 2009, 02:52 PM']People who are wearing clothes just so that others will treat them a certain way - well, it seems to me that if one wants to get the respect due to certain attire (whether it be police or army or religious), then they should actually do the job![/quote]

I agree.

I was an EMT and have all sorts of patches and my badge and my uniform from the amblance, but I don't even wear my jacket that only has a patch on it. Right now I am not an EMT and I am not with the ambulance, so why wear it?

[i]I usually wear a habit when I go to Mass. My priest knows and is fine with it, according to him it is fine because I am not impersonating a sister or an order, I don't ask for money (as in fraud), and religious women do not receive a sacrament when they become religious as opposed to men who receive Holy Orders if they become priests, and nuns/sisters don't have any special abilities (like hearing confessions). According to him, it is a sacramental (and he blessed mine) and as such can be used for the greater good in bringing God's grace to the one who uses it as well as the ones who come into contact with it. I feel a lot holier when I wear it and it helps me concentrate and I also think it helps me get ready for the day when I will wear one all the time.[/i]

This seems extremely odd to me. Perhaps I do not understand your situation. Are you a consecrated virgin, or something like that?

puellapaschalis

[quote name='nunsense' post='1799031' date='Mar 6 2009, 08:52 PM']I know that when I was in Detroit, a deacon there would wear a priest's collar. He was asked why he did this since he wasn't a priest, and he said because it made the congregation show him respect. I just think this is wrong. But since his parish priest didn't say anything, what was anyone else to do??[/quote]

The "clerical collar" is in fact proper dress not only for priests and bishops, but also for deacons and even seminarians. This also holds for the cassock, which (I believe) is the real "standard" dress for seminarians and clergy - the clerical suit is simply something that fits in more with the business-crazy West, I think.

Greeting Everyone,

As a Religious Brother, I had to respond to this thread.

I am sorry to say, I do not go for lay people wearing the habit in public. I am sorry to say, that yes you can give people the wrong impression. Please leave the habit for those of us who have gone through Postulancy, Novitiate, Temporary Vows and Life Profession. You can say it brings you closer to God. Well, your prayer and your love,devotion and just your witness as a person brings you closer to him. Please do not wear the habit unless you are a member in a Religious Community.

Also for the deacon who wears the collar in public for respect.. sorry that is the wrong reason to wear it. To begin with, most Bishops do not allow for the deacons to wear the collar unless they are in the Prison Ministry. Other than that, they have the deacons cross or pin.
If one wishes respect, one has to respect others as well. It will all come together on its own.

Sorry if I may have hurt someone by this, but I had to say my peace. This Brother is in habit most of the day except at night when I am relaxing.

Blessings to you all,
Bro. Ed

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Brother Ed' post='1799185' date='Mar 7 2009, 12:41 AM']Also for the deacon who wears the collar in public for respect.. sorry that is the wrong reason to wear it. To begin with, most Bishops do not allow for the deacons to wear the collar unless they are in the Prison Ministry. Other than that, they have the deacons cross or pin.
If one wishes respect, one has to respect others as well. It will all come together on its own.[/quote]

I won't disagree with you on the habit, but I know plenty of deacons (both permanent - especially those who are unmarried - and transitional) who wear clerics simply because they're deacons and it's appropriate in most situations. Whilst seminarians are or would be permitted to wear clerics, I don't think it's widespread outside Rome.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1799225' date='Mar 6 2009, 06:08 PM']I won't disagree with you on the habit, but I know plenty of deacons (both permanent - especially those who are unmarried - and transitional) who wear clerics simply because they're deacons and it's appropriate in most situations. Whilst seminarians are or would be permitted to wear clerics, I don't think it's widespread outside Rome.[/quote]
I agree that there's often a difference in practice vs. rules when it comes to seminarians and deacons wearing collars. I know some seminarians who are only allowed to wear cassocks and/or collars while they're on seminary property. I also know deacons who wear grey, white, or pale blue to distinguish themselves from priests.

truthfinder

The deacons that have been in my diocese, the transitional ones that is, have always worn their collar and wear black and look just like the priests. They do the same thing in the seminary which is in a different diocese. This is in Canada. We have to remember that deacon is the first part of holy orders, which is then followed by the priesthood, and for some culminates in the bishopric. And, if I'm not mistaken deacons are also required to do the Morning and Evening Prayers.

Edited: for spelling

Edited by truthfinder

kavalamyself

My priest (and by the way a pastor) blessed my "habit" and approves of my wearing of it. Someone asked which one I wear. I do not wear anything that identifies me as belonging to a particular order. The website that I suggested is very nice and you can have a particular style made with different materials/colors and also you can mix/match on your own. (A scapular in one color as example, a wimple from another.) As an example, you could pick out the Benedictine one and have it made in a light grey material. I am not recommending that you wear a habit of a particular order because then you could be misunderstood as representing that congregation. Also, if you can find someone who sews, you can make your own or sew it yourself. I think if you wear it in a pious fashion and don't do anything weird in it that would bring an upset to the church, nobody should have a problem with it. I called my priest today and asked him if he would check again to make sure there isn't anything against this practice and he said no. It's not for everybody, and maybe some people feel like the habit is a reward for making it through the process of religious life, but for others, it is a a sacramental, something tangible to bring them closer to God and also something to be a witness. But I do know that this does not apply to men, at least in the United States because of the reasons I already said. And thanks, Puella, for the correction. I'm sorry if this is something some of you object to, but until my priest tells me otherwise, I am going to keep wearing it on Sundays and other holy days.

InHisLove726

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1799291' date='Mar 6 2009, 07:19 PM']My priest (and by the way a pastor) blessed my "habit" and approves of my wearing of it. Someone asked which one I wear. I do not wear anything that identifies me as belonging to a particular order. The website that I suggested is very nice and you can have a particular style made with different materials/colors and also you can mix/match on your own. (A scapular in one color as example, a wimple from another.) As an example, you could pick out the Benedictine one and have it made in a light grey material. I am not recommending that you wear a habit of a particular order because then you could be misunderstood as representing that congregation. Also, if you can find someone who sews, you can make your own or sew it yourself. I think if you wear it in a pious fashion and don't do anything weird in it that would bring an upset to the church, nobody should have a problem with it. I called my priest today and asked him if he would check again to make sure there isn't anything against this practice and he said no. It's not for everybody, and maybe some people feel like the habit is a reward for making it through the process of religious life, but for others, it is a a sacramental, something tangible to bring them closer to God and also something to be a witness. But I do know that this does not apply to men, at least in the United States because of the reasons I already said. And thanks, Puella, for the correction. I'm sorry if this is something some of you object to, but until my priest tells me otherwise, I am going to keep wearing it on Sundays and other holy days.[/quote]

To each, his/her own. As long as you aren't breaking any rules, as it appears you aren't, then it isn't illicit, just maybe weird according to some people. May God bless you this Lenten and Easter season! :cool:

AccountDeleted

This deacon was not transitional - he was married. But I admit I don't know the rules about deacons. I was told this story by a priest who thought it was weird that this deacon was wearing the collar - but then as I said, the deacon's own priest had no problem with it - so I guess it must have been ok. I just thought the reasoning seemed a little strange. Wearing it to be a witness is good, but just to make the congregation respect him? Well, that's the story I was told, so I was just trying to get clarification, but it does seem there are a lot of different things going on in different places, so who am I to judge what is right? Not my place, that's for sure....

AccountDeleted

This deacon was not transitional - he was married. But I admit I don't know the rules about deacons. I was told this story by a priest who thought it was weird that this deacon was wearing the collar - but then as I said, the deacon's own priest had no problem with it - so I guess it must have been ok. I just thought the reasoning seemed a little strange. Wearing it to be a witness is good, but just to make the congregation respect him? Well, that's the story I was told, so I was just trying to get clarification, but it does seem there are a lot of different things going on in different places, so who am I to judge what is right? Not my place, that's for sure....

truthfinder

[quote name='nunsense' post='1799307' date='Mar 6 2009, 06:00 PM']This deacon was not transitional - he was married. But I admit I don't know the rules about deacons. I was told this story by a priest who thought it was weird that this deacon was wearing the collar - but then as I said, the deacon's own priest had no problem with it - so I guess it must have been ok. I just thought the reasoning seemed a little strange. Wearing it to be a witness is good, but just to make the congregation respect him? Well, that's the story I was told, so I was just trying to get clarification, but it does seem there are a lot of different things going on in different places, so who am I to judge what is right? Not my place, that's for sure....[/quote]
Yes, we had a permanent deacon (RIP) but I do not know if he wore a collar. I do not know if they could wear a collar. I believe they could all the time considering that they are deacons. (As Fr. Z says, a deacon's a deacon.) I think it would be weird for a permanent deacon to wear the collar all the time especially just to gain respect. I think it would be more apropriate if he was carrying out some liturgical or church business, but not other times just to get noticed. I do think though that transitional deacons should wear a collar, and a cassock if their bishop or seminary will allow for it :topsy: (just my opinion on the cassock.) They won't be able to hide so well when they are priests and it allows for practise on encountering people, and to giving witness.

Edited: for spelling

Edited by truthfinder

HisChildForever

If you are a lay person you should not be wearing the habit. I, for one, would find it terribly misleading- even if the habit is not modeled after a particular order, to the untrained eye it could very well appear legitimate. Also, even if one is not wearing the habit to "pass" as a sister or nun, one HAS to realize that they WILL be confused as a sister or nun - and I idly wonder if being identified as a sister or nun is in some way pleasing to the lay person in habit (at least unconsciously). Furthermore, there is a reason why lay people do not wear habits and why religious do, and that difference should be respected.