An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Are You In Your Religious Discernment?

mariaassunta

AccountDeleted

[quote name='AbsconditaInDeo' post='1809380' date='Mar 16 2009, 08:05 PM']Congratulations on your acceptance into Carmel! I've heard many good things about Sheffield Carmel!

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how long did you have to wait before you could enter a different carmelite monastery when you left your former one? And, in your experience between these carmels, what would you say are the differences between them?[/quote]

I don't know that there is any official waiting period between leaving one community and being accepted into another - it all depends on the individual community, I would think, and on the candidate (and what their previous Prioress has to say about them). I left WV over a year ago and worked for three months and then spent about six weeks with Rosalind Moss' new community, then two months with the Hermits of Bethlehem. Then I worked for another two months before going to Edmonton Carmel last November. I left them in January but Mother did tell me that I would probably end up back in another Carmel again! I also went for a very brief visit to another new active community in Detroit but it just wasn't at all what I felt called to. I haven't had any luck at all trying to enter a cloistered community in the US because of my age (56) so I am going back to England, where this doesn't seem to be an issue for them.

I haven't actually been accepted into Sheffield yet. I am going for a live-in (inside the enclosure), during which time the community and I will both discern my possible entry, and if I ask to enter, the community will vote on my request. Because I am living in the US, they are prepared to let me leave the enclosure after my visit for only a brief time (instead of returning home, as is usual after a live-in visit), so I hope to go to Wolverhampton to visit the sisters there (we are still close and stay in touch) and perhaps to a couple of other places. If I feel that I am not being called to Sheffield after the visit, then I will ask God what He wants me to do next :rolleyes:

All Carmels are slightly different, because they are autonomous, but they also have a lot of similarities because of their tradition and structure. The two in England will no doubt be very similar because they had the same (French) foundress but they will also be different because WV is a 1991 Constitution and Sheffield is a 1990 Constitution. Edmonton felt very familiar in many ways, but there were also noticeable differences from the English Carmels because they were originally from a community in Macau that had been founded by Belgian nuns. It reminds me a little of the differences between Australia and the US -- both speak English and have many things in common, but are also very different in feeling. I am used to change, so that will be ok -- it is only my self-will that ever gives me the problems -- and the nagging interior dialogue that is very difficult to shut up!! :topsy: God has His work cut out for Him trying to humble me -- but I am a willing participant (usually), and nothing is impossible for Him! All for love, all for love. :love:

Edited by nunsense

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1809408' date='Mar 16 2009, 10:22 PM']WONDERFUL!!!!!! Which community, if I may ask???

:thumbsup: :taco: :dance: :twothumbsup: :woot: :yahoo:[/quote]
Thanks for your encouragement (especially the dancing mexican food :P). For now, I will just say a Sacred Heart community for reasons of privacy. A few people on the boards know (or could piece together), but I'll leave it like that for now.

Edit: b/c typing "t-a-c-o-s" also inserts "so yummy and good for you". (Thank you dUSt)

Edited by shortnun

InHisLove726

[quote name='shortnun' post='1809813' date='Mar 17 2009, 12:33 PM']Thanks for your encouragement (especially the dancing mexican food :P). For now, I will just say a Sacred Heart community for reasons of privacy. A few people on the boards know (or could piece together), but I'll leave it like that for now.

Edit: b/c typing "t-a-c-o-s" also inserts "so yummy and good for you". (Thank you dUSt)[/quote]

LOL, that's ok. I figured it out in one of your other posts. I have a friend that entered last August in your future community. :) I haven't heard from her but I've been praying about her. I will offer prayers up for you, too!!! :sign:

DeoOptimoMaximo

Trying to get back on the track!

Possibly, Hogar de La Madre order, FFI's, MFVAs or Knights of the Holy Eucharist...

AbsconditaInDeo

[quote name='nunsense' post='1809516' date='Mar 17 2009, 12:59 AM']I don't know that there is any official waiting period between leaving one community and being accepted into another - it all depends on the individual community, I would think, and on the candidate (and what their previous Prioress has to say about them). I left WV over a year ago and worked for three months and then spent about six weeks with Rosalind Moss' new community, then two months with the Hermits of Bethlehem. Then I worked for another two months before going to Edmonton Carmel last November. I left them in January but Mother did tell me that I would probably end up back in another Carmel again! I also went for a very brief visit to another new active community in Detroit but it just wasn't at all what I felt called to. I haven't had any luck at all trying to enter a cloistered community in the US because of my age (56) so I am going back to England, where this doesn't seem to be an issue for them.

I haven't actually been accepted into Sheffield yet. I am going for a live-in (inside the enclosure), during which time the community and I will both discern my possible entry, and if I ask to enter, the community will vote on my request. Because I am living in the US, they are prepared to let me leave the enclosure after my visit for only a brief time (instead of returning home, as is usual after a live-in visit), so I hope to go to Wolverhampton to visit the sisters there (we are still close and stay in touch) and perhaps to a couple of other places. If I feel that I am not being called to Sheffield after the visit, then I will ask God what He wants me to do next :rolleyes:

All Carmels are slightly different, because they are autonomous, but they also have a lot of similarities because of their tradition and structure. The two in England will no doubt be very similar because they had the same (French) foundress but they will also be different because WV is a 1991 Constitution and Sheffield is a 1990 Constitution. Edmonton felt very familiar in many ways, but there were also noticeable differences from the English Carmels because they were originally from a community in Macau that had been founded by Belgian nuns. It reminds me a little of the differences between Australia and the US -- both speak English and have many things in common, but are also very different in feeling. I am used to change, so that will be ok -- it is only my self-will that ever gives me the problems -- and the nagging interior dialogue that is very difficult to shut up!! :topsy: God has His work cut out for Him trying to humble me -- but I am a willing participant (usually), and nothing is impossible for Him! All for love, all for love. :love:[/quote]

Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I'm discerning whether or not I have a call to Carmel. I'm not really sure if I do. I have a great love the carmelite saints and I love the writings and spirituality of the carmelites, but then again, that could just be a devotion that I have and that may not mean that I actually have a call to be a carmelite. Please keep me in your prayers. I have contacted two carmelite communities, the one in Ada Parnell (1991) and one in Colorado (1990). I stopped corresponding with the on in CO once I found out they weren't in full communion in Rome. What a pity that they aren't in communion with the Church! They seem like a beautiful community and I love how they pray the divine office in Latin and also have the extraordinary form of the mass! I have sent a letter to the Carmel of Jesus, Mary and Joseph in Valparaiso (1990), but I know that their carmel is over capacity. Do you know if they're opening up a foundation any time soon?

Please keep me in your prayers that I may be open to whatever God calls me to. You're in my prayers as well! I hope all goes well with Sheffield!

InHisLove726

[quote name='AbsconditaInDeo' post='1810500' date='Mar 18 2009, 09:27 AM']Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I'm discerning whether or not I have a call to Carmel. I'm not really sure if I do. I have a great love the carmelite saints and I love the writings and spirituality of the carmelites, but then again, that could just be a devotion that I have and that may not mean that I actually have a call to be a carmelite. Please keep me in your prayers. I have contacted two carmelite communities, the one in Ada Parnell (1991) and one in Colorado (1990). I stopped corresponding with the on in CO once I found out they weren't in full communion in Rome. What a pity that they aren't in communion with the Church! They seem like a beautiful community and I love how they pray the divine office in Latin and also have the extraordinary form of the mass! I have sent a letter to the Carmel of Jesus, Mary and Joseph in Valparaiso (1990), but I know that their carmel is over capacity. Do you know if they're opening up a foundation any time soon?

Please keep me in your prayers that I may be open to whatever God calls me to. You're in my prayers as well! I hope all goes well with Sheffield![/quote]

You sound like me. I wrote to the Colorado one as well, but discovered that they are not in full communion. They don't take anyone that is not a member of the SSPX. Maybe, one day, they will return to Rome, but we must pray for them

One Carmel that I would like to suggest for you is the one in Arlington, TX. I thought I had a calling to be cloistered, and I was looking at them, but found my call elsewhere. Mother Maria, their Prioress, is so nice. I would suggest writing letters to her by snailmail as she doesn't read her email that much at all. I've waited months at a time to hear back from her. Here's their website:

[url="http://www.carmelnuns.com/"]http://www.carmelnuns.com/[/url]

You can find their address there too. :)

I also considered writing Valaparaiso and Iron Mountain, MI. Are you looking specifically for 1990 Constitutions?? Arlington is 1991, but Valaparaiso and Iron Mountain are 1990. Brooklyn and Buffalo are 1990 as well.

While I know nothing specific about Valaparaiso, I did hear that they were making a new foundation somewhere, but I don't know where. Perhaps [b]Margaret Clare[/b] can tell you?? Or maybe [b]Nunsense[/b] knows. :) God bless!

AbsconditaInDeo

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1810612' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:35 PM']You sound like me. I wrote to the Colorado one as well, but discovered that they are not in full communion. They don't take anyone that is not a member of the SSPX. Maybe, one day, they will return to Rome, but we must pray for them

One Carmel that I would like to suggest for you is the one in Arlington, TX. I thought I had a calling to be cloistered, and I was looking at them, but found my call elsewhere. Mother Maria, their Prioress, is so nice. I would suggest writing letters to her by snailmail as she doesn't read her email that much at all. I've waited months at a time to hear back from her. Here's their website:

[url="http://www.carmelnuns.com/"]http://www.carmelnuns.com/[/url]

You can find their address there too. :)

I also considered writing Valaparaiso and Iron Mountain, MI. Are you looking specifically for 1990 Constitutions?? Arlington is 1991, but Valaparaiso and Iron Mountain are 1990. Brooklyn and Buffalo are 1990 as well.

While I know nothing specific about Valaparaiso, I did hear that they were making a new foundation somewhere, but I don't know where. Perhaps [b]Margaret Clare[/b] can tell you?? Or maybe [b]Nunsense[/b] knows. :) God bless![/quote]

Thank you so much for your suggestions! :) I am certainly keeping the CO Carmel in my prayers as well as all other religious communities that are away from the Church. It would be nice to be able to consider those beautiful communities during discernment!

If I do have a call to be a carmelite, I think I would most likely look into those that follow the 1990s constitutions. I'm looking for carmels that are more traditional and have kept the spirit of St. Teresa and live in the way she intended for them. Know what I mean? In general when I look at any religious community I try and find out if they use Latin in the liturgy whether it's in the mass or the divine office. Do all 1990 Carmel's say the divine office in Latin or have mass in the extraordinary form or have Latin in the mass? How are all 1990s carmels the same and how are they differ from each other than there are different sisters in each convent? I have heard that carmels have certain traditions based on if they came from a french or spanish carmel. Is this true and what are the differences between them?

I guess I had more questions about carmel than I thought I did! Would anyone be able to answer them? :topsy:

Saint Therese

I didn't say discernment was a bad thing.

I know where God is calling me. Without a doubt.
Why keep looking?
Some discern forever.

InHisLove726

[quote name='AbsconditaInDeo' post='1811037' date='Mar 18 2009, 08:51 PM']Thank you so much for your suggestions! :) I am certainly keeping the CO Carmel in my prayers as well as all other religious communities that are away from the Church. It would be nice to be able to consider those beautiful communities during discernment!

If I do have a call to be a carmelite, I think I would most likely look into those that follow the 1990s constitutions. I'm looking for carmels that are more traditional and have kept the spirit of St. Teresa and live in the way she intended for them. Know what I mean? In general when I look at any religious community I try and find out if they use Latin in the liturgy whether it's in the mass or the divine office. Do all 1990 Carmel's say the divine office in Latin or have mass in the extraordinary form or have Latin in the mass? How are all 1990s carmels the same and how are they differ from each other than there are different sisters in each convent? I have heard that carmels have certain traditions based on if they came from a french or spanish carmel. Is this true and what are the differences between them?

I guess I had more questions about carmel than I thought I did! Would anyone be able to answer them? :topsy:[/quote]

Most likely, [b]Margaret Clare[/b] would be your best bet in getting your questions answered. She posted about 1990 and 1991 Constitution Carmels a few years ago:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=58540&hl=1990+carmel"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...;hl=1990+carmel[/url]

As far as the liturgy, I've heard that Brooklyn and Philadelphia both have Latin, but I've never been to either, so I can't say for certain. Valaparaiso, I am certain, because I have heard it from NUMEROUS sources, but as you said, they are full.

Here is the listing of monasteries that are members of the St. Joseph Association. I've heard they all follow 1990:

[url="http://www.carmelitenunsstjoseph.org/monastery.htm"]http://www.carmelitenunsstjoseph.org/monastery.htm[/url]

It's been a while since I looked into the cloistered convents. I am called to the contemplative/active life, but I have an attraction to the cloister. :)

InHisLove726

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1811208' date='Mar 18 2009, 10:51 PM']I didn't say discernment was a bad thing.

Why keep looking?
Some discern forever.[/quote]

The religious order I've applied to calls the formation process a "period of discernment." That's not a bad thing. I think it's important to continue discerning with the order to make sure that God is calling you there before you profess final vows. :cool:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1811208' date='Mar 18 2009, 09:51 PM']I didn't say discernment was a bad thing.

Why keep looking?

You are very blessed to have such a surety in your heart - but please be careful that it doesn't lead to smugness towards others who are not as fortunate. Not everyone is as clear as you are about where God wants them, so they take longer to discern His voice - but this can be a blessing as well because it creates a humble heart.

The longer a person takes to discern, the harder it can be sometimes, and the greater the temptation can be to despair - asking oneself all the time what is wrong with themselves, and if God really does want them to be in religious life, etc.

We need to support each other, no matter how long the discernment process for each of us -- because as St Paul says...

[i]If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.[/i]
1 Cor 13:1

I might be misinterpreting you, and I apologize if I have done so. I am one of those who is taking a long time to discern, so I might be a little sensitive to this topic -- I hope you will understand that I am not writing this to condemn but to inform. :unsure:

Saint Therese

I"m not smug.

And I"ve been discerning for ten years. I don't know why I come in here anymore. Anytime anyone in VS makes a comment everyone has to nitpick and criticize.

Edited by Saint Therese

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1809880' date='Mar 17 2009, 02:46 PM']LOL, that's ok. I figured it out in one of your other posts. I have a friend that entered last August in your future community. :) I haven't heard from her but I've been praying about her. I will offer prayers up for you, too!!! :sign:[/quote]
Thanks!!! :lol_roll:

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1811208' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:51 PM']I didn't say discernment was a bad thing.

Why keep looking?
That's true. Some do discern (in a non-helpful way) forever. I'm glad God has blessed you with the conviction of heart to know where he is truly calling you. I think I'm the one that sort of started this ball rolling and I apologize. I didn't know exactly what you meant by your original post and merely tried to see where it was you were coming from. Please know that I didn't mean anything negative or nit-picky by it (nor do I think nunsense did in her post).

• 4 months later...

I'm Noémi and I am discerning to the Servants of Mary, Mother of Sorrows. (the so-called servitas).

Please pray for me as I will participate in a vocation retreat in a Dominican convent (5 days) then I will go "home" (servita convent). I will be away from my family for 2 weeks which is a huge period for me (not because I miss them just I haven't been in a situ like this yet.).

Maybe I can switch on the Internet in the servita convent. :)

I got my call 2 and a half yrs ago. (I was 15 years old at that time, now I'm 17.)

I still have 2 years still the school-leaving exam...

Sorry if my post wasn't gramatically correct enough, I'm Hungarian (in the heart of Europe)