An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Are You In Your Religious Discernment?

mariaassunta

ForeverLillian

I have no idea where I am anymore. lol I THOUGHT I was done & decided it wasn't for me...But it was always still in the back of my mind & now it's bugging me all over again XD; I'm going to pray a lot more on it. I want to talk to my parents about it again but we already buried the hatchet on it so I'm nervous to bring it up again...I need to talk to the priest we know again & get a spiritual director...I can't decide whether to talk to someone about it or wait, pray & see if I should (other than a priest of course). But I am the type that's not good at keeping things bottled up & need to talk about it. Like my parents. I'm just afraid of saying it & feeling the pressure I have to live up to something somehow? Is that weird? Especially since I don't know what I am meant to do right now. I do know however no matter what I want to finish college, & that is religious life was meant for me I am not ready & need to grow my relationship with God more. So maybe I just need to chill & be quiet for now XD

Edited by ForeverLillian

That is wonderful, Anselm.  I remember when you were discerning between a few of them, and it sounds as if you and God have this settled.  

Prayers for you AND your new community!!!!

TheresaThoma

Anslem that is awesome! I'm so excited. Please let us know when your entrance day is so we can pray for you.

Phatmass phamily!  

It has been ages since I've been around, sooooo hi there!   :)  Hope all is well with people.

I just wanted to stop by and share some news.  My sister has been accepted into the community she wants to join :D  I am so happy for her, and glad that things have worked out as they have - all in God's time, of course, but this has been a long haul for her to reach this point.  

She enters in August, and has just received her ridiculous packing list.  Oh my, some of the things she has to buy....

OnlySunshine

Phatmass phamily!  

It has been ages since I've been around, sooooo hi there!   :)  Hope all is well with people.

I just wanted to stop by and share some news.  My sister has been accepted into the community she wants to join :D  I am so happy for her, and glad that things have worked out as they have - all in God's time, of course, but this has been a long haul for her to reach this point.  

She enters in August, and has just received her ridiculous packing list.  Oh my, some of the things she has to buy....

YAY!  MithLuin!  So happy to see you!

Congrats to your sister!  Tell her to use my website if she has trouble finding things!

http://nuntrunk.weebly.com/

That's great news Mithluin. All responses to vocation are great news!

I was surprised when I first joined Phatmass and heard just how much some people have to take with them to their communities; as far as I know I think I just need some lay clothes to work in, washing things, socks etc and shorts to wear under the tunic during postulancy. That's it!

A question for you, Anselm, that came out of reading the other thread about discernment:

What thought have you taken to re-entering the world should you end up leaving your community before final vows?  You don't have to disclose details, of course, but it would be interesting to know if you have made contingency plans.

Well, I am not required to dispose of my property until Solemn Vows, so it will all be stored until then and will be retrievable if I leave.

and in terms of employment, I have various contacts through which I would be able to find a similar job to the one I have at present, even if I would have to take something a little less ideal for a while.

That's great news Mithluin. All responses to vocation are great news!

I was surprised when I first joined Phatmass and heard just how much some people have to take with them to their communities; as far as I know I think I just need some lay clothes to work in, washing things, socks etc and shorts to wear under the tunic during postulancy. That's it!

Sounds about right Anselm. I think, in general,  most communities only expect you to take what's really necessary for the postulancy.  Enough clothes for regular use during the 3 to 6 months of postulancy for daily use; work and recreation. Once the novitiate starts the clothes under the habit don't matter very much. I'm told most religious wear their oldest clothes under the habit (often still using some they come with years before) as nobody really sees them, which seems fairly simple and practical.They then have enough suitable clothes for any manual work or outside recreation (sport, running etc) when they may not wear the full habit (unless they have work tunics or aprons).

I guess the only thing to check, which I've seen some communities stipulate, is that the clothes worn during postulancy should be of a specific colour -  usually to match the habit colours of the community. For others it may not be a major issue -  unless maybe someone wanted to wear something really outlandish. A spider man costume, sandals and comic character themed socks would perhaps draw the wrong type of attention on the first day :hehe2: