An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Are You In Your Religious Discernment?

mariaassunta

On hold right now.  I've been working with the St Vincent DePaul conference at my parish and that seems to be my "vocation" for the present.  I'm starting with a spiritual director in January, so we'll see what happens there. 

I have been accepted into postulancy with the Sisters of Life. My entrance day is in 9 months on Saturday, September 6, 2014. :) Thank you for all your prayers!

Gloria in excelsis Deo!

Wonderful news!!!!  My prayers for your continued discernment and entrance :pray:

• 2 weeks later...
francisjourney

I'm new to Phatmass...so, I am in the aspirancy period with the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows. In the meantime, I am working and fundraising with The Labouré Society.

It's been interesting so far. The journey is long but I continue to persevere.

Pray for me.

OnlySunshine

I'm new to Phatmass...so, I am in the aspirancy period with the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows. In the meantime, I am working and fundraising with The Labouré Society.

It's been interesting so far. The journey is long but I continue to persevere.

Pray for me.

Not an order I hear of very often but VERY beautiful!  I'll keep you in my prayers!  :)

Hello everyone,

I feel called to religious life 1.5 years ago and said yes to Lord finally 9 months ago. Its been an interesting journey so far and today I've started properly speaking to our vocational director who is my spiritual director. Will be visiting religious communities here in Hong Kong, where I'm based now but really plan to visit the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in New York some time in the near future. Prayers would be greatly appreciated. and I'll be praying for all of you too.

God bless.

Hi! First post. You can call me chrys, or something. I guess I wanted to anonymously tell the internet that about 30 hours ago I realized I would say yes to the religious life and perhaps the priesthood, if God wills. No one in my family is Catholic (yet), and as I slowly align my life towards that goal and I break it to them at some point, it will be very hard, so I ask for your prayers for the future trial. I've only told a supportive Catholic friend and also contacted the vocations director of an order I am interested in. Due to college and other factors it will be 2.5-3.5 years before I am able to enter anywhere, in any case.

I can point to two reasons/factors in my recognition of my religious vocation. One was a conversation with a friar, in which he said that his discovery of religious vocation consisted principally in a recognition of the Church's need for religious and in his own availability to meet that need. That resounded strongly with me, because I had heard much said about more mystical ways of getting a vocation (hearing the voice of God or something similar) for which I had no reference point in my own experience. As a young, single Catholic man - to put it this way - the doors were objectively open wide to embracing the evangelical counsels as a way to perfection. Why not answer the call? The second factor was a desire for the Eucharist. I had access to a perpetual adoration room last week, and I was able to walk in at the dead of night, within mere feet of the Lord, and adore Him for hours - not saying much, but just looking and wordlessly loving. I realized I was looking at the form of Beauty Himself. To get married would be a wonderful thing, of course - I, personally, am a huge romantic - but to me I felt I would actually be giving up MORE, namely, the ability to contemplate the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar all the time, were I to get married and find myself busy with work and raising children. It felt almost selfish, but the Lord has already extended His invitation. Why not accept? Why not answer the call? There was, I realized, no reason to turn away.

And so I find myself here. You may call it a little hasty, but there's time enough to figure this out properly as I walk further with the Lord. I'm just a little excited, that's all. I'm like a guy who has found the girl of his dreams and realizes, just KNOWS, that he's going to marry her someday. Only this, for me, is even more monumental.

Deo Gratias!

Spem in alium

Still discerning with the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. My family is meeting them all in a couple of weeks, which is really exciting!

Welcome Chrys! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! I will pray for you as you continue this journey.

"God constantly surpises us, he bursts our categories, he wreaks havoc with our plans. And he tells us: Trust me, do not be afriad, let yourself be surpised, leave yourself behind and follow me!" - Pope Francis

Well God has done exactly that with a Dominican twist. ;)

All I am going to say for the moment. :hehe2:

I am discerning with a secular institute that unfortunately does not have a presence in my country. (My nearest members are in France.) The formation director can be a bit slack in her contact with me, and I don't know if what I'm going through is just a patch of frustration and isolation to be worked through, or a sign that I should be looking elsewhere. I think I need to persevere. It's just a bit tough being a lone ranger and unable to attend any meetings. ;) All in God's time.

Edited by beatitude

On hold right now.  I've been working with the St Vincent DePaul conference at my parish and that seems to be my "vocation" for the present.  I'm starting with a spiritual director in January, so we'll see what happens there. 

Yeah, so much for that one.  Back discerning. 

I just got off the phone with Sr. A, and she says they have a council meeting next week in which they will review my application. I should expect either a letter or a phone call about their decision in about 2 weeks. 

Prayers that I don't get too anxious about it. Fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum!

I'm sure they want you to be with them more than you want to share and experience their holy lifestyle ;)

I started feeling powerful anxiety before I even began to fill out the application!  I figured all my worry and fear came from the evil one because when it would occur, it would be so intense that it was almost paralyzing.  These feelings were not normal at all so I began to say the Hail Mary prayer over and over till I felt more at peace.  If it happened again, I'd begin to repeat it once more.  Eventually it stopped ;) 

I have been accepted into postulancy with the Sisters of Life. My entrance day is in 9 months on Saturday, September 6, 2014. :) Thank you for all your prayers!

Gloria in excelsis Deo!

Congratulations!  My apologies as I don't read further posts before I reply.