An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vatican Priest Reginald Foster Interviewed By Bill Maher In Religulous

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1813000' date='Mar 21 2009, 01:15 AM']Why is it hard?

He is not infallible. Just because he is a priest and just because he did at one time hold a job in the Vatican does not make everything he says right or worth listening too. He has it wrong.[/quote]

I loved that Priest, if I ever go back to Itally I'm hanging out with him. Not for the heterodox claims, he just seemed like a really fun guy :P

Why is he so adament (sp?) on there being no hell and insinuating (sp?) that it's old catholic teaching and many agree with him ? I just find it hard to discredit someone who has spent their whole life serving the chruch and write them off. He must have a reason to say what he is saying. I would really like to hear his explanation. Or at least someone with authority to speak out against him.

Edited by Guest

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Hassan' post='1813005' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:19 AM']I loved that Priest, if I ever go back to Itally I'm hanging out with him. Not for the heterodox claims, he just seemed like a really fun guy :P[/quote]

:rolleyes: :yawn:

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1813006' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:19 AM']Why is he so adament (sp?) on there being no hell and insinuating (sp?) that it's old catholic teaching and many agree with him ? I just find it hard to discredit someone who has spent their whole life serving the chruch and write them off. He must have a reason to say what he is saying. I would really like to hear his explanation. Or at least someone with authority to speak out against him.[/quote]

Lots of people spend their lives in the Church and end up having it wrong... like all of those sisters who dance around the altar and sing to Sophia...

There are a lot of people who are supposedly "in" the Church and have supposedly served the church but who just have it wrong. No one else besides the Pope in the Church is infallible and when priests and religious say and do things contrary to the Church it is sad, but we have to brush it off as they are not infallible.

He is older... many priests and religious who worked in the church during Vatican II have some things confused... yeah, it would be interesting to hear his explanation.

It sorta reminds me of when Jesus was talking about the pharassies (sp) and saying listen to what they preach to you but dont do what they do. Something about how they set the bar so high but yet dont do anyting to help lift the weight off the sinners.

Sorta like with mortal sin. It's a mortal sin to miss mass, it's a motal sin to masturbate, it's a mortal sin to do alot of things. What other church teaches that it's a mortal sin to miss church one week ? Now i'm not saying one should miss church but it also seems extreme to say one goes to hell if they miss church.

This is just me rambling at 230 am but it was a conncetion I sorta made. Again I know masturbation and all these sins are bad sins and to be avoided. Yet it just seems sometimes as if really harsh rules and consequences have been put on cathoilcs and it reminded me of that verse where Jesus was talking about the pharassies (sp)

And I sorta tied that into what Father Foster was saying on a few things.

ALTHOUGHHHHHHH

I agree with you and that he is wrong and the gates of hell will not prevail.

Edited by Guest

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1813016' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:28 AM']Lots of people spend their lives in the Church and end up having it wrong... like all of those sisters who dance around the altar and sing to Sophia...

There are a lot of people who are supposedly "in" the Church and have supposedly served the church but who just have it wrong. No one else besides the Pope in the Church is infallible and when priests and religious say and do things contrary to the Church it is sad, but we have to brush it off as they are not infallible.

He is older... many priests and religious who worked in the church during Vatican II have some things confused... yeah, it would be interesting to hear his explanation.[/quote]

Ya I see what you are saying. So a question, the pope is infallible in that he could never be wrong on anything ?

[quote name='kafka' post='1813004' date='Mar 21 2009, 01:18 AM']you are reading it already? Wow. How far are you?[/quote]

just starting it. I skimmed through it a little bit but am going to read it start to finish as well.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Hassan' post='1813034' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:36 AM']just starting it. I skimmed through it a little bit but am going to read it start to finish as well.[/quote]

:yawn: so you haven't been reading it? :rolleyes:

more lies from the pretender...

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1813032' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:36 AM']Ya I see what you are saying. So a question, the pope is infallible in that he could never be wrong on anything ?[/quote]

He is infallible on matters of faith and morals alone.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1813034' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:36 AM']just starting it. I skimmed through it a little bit but am going to read it start to finish as well.[/quote]
I dont agree with him on every point, yet I must admit he does come up with many good and original insights. I also like his style. He is reverant, honest, and serious, and not pietistic, naive or obtrusive. He is supposedly notoriously difficult to read, but I actually enjoy his long sentences.

The first 100 pages or so are a bit difficult, perhaps a bit strenuous yet they are his foundation concepts for the rest of his theology/philosophy which by Chapter Three launches into some (in my opinion) breathtaking and exciting insights. I hope you enjoy and benefit from it.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1813044' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:42 AM']He is infallible on matters of faith and morals alone.[/quote]

gotcha

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1813028' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:34 AM']Sorta like with mortal sin. It's a mortal sin to miss mass, it's a motal sin to masturbate, it's a mortal sin to do alot of things. What other church teaches that it's a mortal sin to miss church one week ? Now i'm not saying one should miss church but it also seems extreme to say one goes to hell if they miss church.[/quote]

It is not just missing church though. It is turning your back on our Lord in the most Holy Eucharist. It is choosing not to participate and take part in the New Covenant. It goes against a direct command from our Lord to "do this in remembrance of me." It is not just missing Church... I am sure if we really understood the magnitude of the Mass, the Eucharist, and what the Mass means to us as Christians then we would not think it extreme for hell itself to be the consequence of our turning our backs on God in this instance.

As for masturbation... it defiles us. Our bodies do not belong to ourselves. They belong to Christ. He has purchased them at a very high price. To commit the sin is to take back something that is God's and to defile it while also mocking God's will regarding sexuality.

Missing mass and masturbation are very very grave matters. We just don't always understand why and maybe that makes us think the consequences are a bit extreme... really they are not.

[quote]This is just me rambling at 230 am but it was a conncetion I sorta made. Again I know masturbation and all these sins are bad sins and to be avoided. Yet it just seems sometimes as if really harsh rules and consequences have been put on cathoilcs and it reminded me of that verse where Jesus was talking about the pharassies (sp)

And I sorta tied that into what Father Foster was saying on a few things.[/quote]

yeah... :console:

:sign:

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1813051' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:50 AM']It is not just missing church though. It is turning your back on our Lord in the most Holy Eucharist. It is choosing not to participate and take part in the New Covenant. It goes against a direct command from our Lord to "do this in remembrance of me." It is not just missing Church... I am sure if we really understood the magnitude of the Mass, the Eucharist, and what the Mass means to us as Christians then we would not think it extreme for hell itself to be the consequence of our turning our backs on God in this instance.

As for masturbation... it defiles us. Our bodies do not belong to ourselves. They belong to Christ. He has purchased them at a very high price. To commit the sin is to take back something that is God's and to defile it while also mocking God's will regarding sexuality.

Missing mass and masturbation are very very grave matters. We just don't always understand why and maybe that makes us think the consequences are a bit extreme... really they are not.

yeah... :console:

:sign:[/quote]

Here's the the thing I know you are right and there is no arguing with you or the points you made. I'm just saying I don't think everyone deserves to be burdened with mortal sin. Some people are really good people and they dont need it shoved down their throat that missing mass now and then is a motal sin/ ( I am not one of those people I deserve it shoved down my throat)

The same goes with a sin like masturbation. I know it's awful but some people dont need to hear it's mortal sin and going to send them to hell when it's coming from a person who abuses young children or is not living a life of chastiy themselives.

I say this because it's only a mortal sin when one is fully aware and even then though it might not be. Only God knows.

But anyways Godbless you and I agree with you.

Edited by Guest

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1813053' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:55 AM']Here's the the thing I know you are right and there is no arguing with you or the points you made. I'm just saying I don't think everyone deserves to be burdened with mortal sin. Some people are really good people and they dont need it shoved down their throat that missing mass now and then is a motal sin/ ( I am not one of those people I deserve it shoved down my throat)

The same goes with a sin like masturbation. I know it's awful but some people dont need to hear it's mortal sin and going to send them to hell when it's coming from a person who abuses young children or is not living a life of chastiy themselives.

I say this because it's only a mortal sin when one is fully aware and even then though it might not be. Only God knows.

But anyways Godbless you and I agree with you.[/quote]

I know you knew this already... I was just saying...

I don't think so though. We are all sinful. All of us... even those that appear to be "good," ... they too struggle with sins of impurity, selfishness, slothfulness... they plague us all. Some are more able to resist them, but that doesn't mean they are without them and it is not because they are "good" but because God has given them the grace to resist those temptations. They have turned to our Lord at those times. We all need to hear, because we are all sinful, that these things are sins and we should not give into them because they offend our Lord.

I don't think anyone at anytime needs to not hear that a sin is a sin.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1813061' date='Mar 21 2009, 03:02 AM']I know you knew this already... I was just saying...

I don't think so though. We are all sinful. All of us... even those that appear to be "good," ... they too struggle with sins of impurity, selfishness, slothfulness... they plague us all. Some are more able to resist them, but that doesn't mean they are without them and it is not because they are "good" but because God has given them the grace to resist those temptations. They have turned to our Lord at those times. We all need to hear, because we are all sinful, that these things are sins and we should not give into them because they offend our Lord.

I don't think anyone at anytime needs to not hear that a sin is a sin.[/quote]

But i'm talking about when telling them that they are mortal which leads people to be scripulous.(sp) There are good people who dont go to mass every week and love the lord. Now i'm not saing that it's right and I know the lukewarm will be spit out. But at the same time if mortal sin is really real and if you die in a state of mortal sin and go to hell I dont know why you want to put that extra burden on someone by telling them that a sin is mortal.

It is only going to make their burden that much tougher. Hence why it bothers me the way some people are always calling people out on mortal sins. It's only mortal if you know it's mortal.

Edited by Guest