An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vatican Priest Reginald Foster Interviewed By Bill Maher In Religulous

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1813074' date='Mar 21 2009, 03:15 AM']But i'm talking about when telling them that they are mortal which leads people to be scripulous.(sp) There are good people who dont go to mass every week and love the lord. Now i'm not saing that it's right and I know the lukewarm will be spit out. But at the same time if mortal sin is really real and if you die in a state of mortal sin and go to hell I dont know why you want to put that extra burden on someone by telling them that a sin is mortal.

It is only going to make their burden that much tougher. Hence why it bothers me the way some people are always calling people out on mortal sins. It's only mortal if you know it's mortal.[/quote]

yeah, but its still grave. and everyone should be informed the sins are mortal/grave so that they may know that these sins deeply offend our Lord. Not knowing about a sin doesn't make it any less grave or offensive to our Lord. People should know what offends our Lord and they should be taught the Gospel so that they are able to be seek holiness and goodness and know what to stay away from.

scrupulous people don't need to be told that mortal sins are not mortal sins ... they just need to be told how to deal with being scrupulous.

The sad thing is a lot of us say we love Jesus, but our actions speak the truth that we must not. "If you love me, keep my commandments." If we love him we would do that. If we are not going to Church we are basically saying, "Yeah, I don't love you." :sadder:

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1813086' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:25 AM']yeah, but its still grave. and everyone should be informed the sins are mortal/grave so that they may know that these sins deeply offend our Lord. Not knowing about a sin doesn't make it any less grave or offensive to our Lord. People should know what offends our Lord and they should be taught the Gospel so that they are able to be seek holiness and goodness and know what to stay away from.

scrupulous people don't need to be told that mortal sins are not mortal sins ... they just need to be told how to deal with being scrupulous.[/quote]

Good points and again unargueable.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1813086' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:25 AM']The sad thing is a lot of us say we love Jesus, but our actions speak the truth that we must not. "If you love me, keep my commandments." If we love him we would do that. If we are not going to Church we are basically saying, "Yeah, I don't love you." :sadder:[/quote]

In some cases with some people yes.
In some cases with some people no.

Edited by Guest

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1813097' date='Mar 21 2009, 03:33 AM']In some cases with some people yes.
In some cases with some people no.[/quote]

They are saying, "I don't love you" when they refuse to go to Church and see our Lord for just one hour out of the entire week. :yes:

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1813100' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:34 AM']They are saying, "I don't love you" when they refuse to go to Church and see our Lord for just one hour out of the entire week. :yes:[/quote]

You dont know if they love the Lord or not. Only the Lord knows that.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1813102' date='Mar 21 2009, 03:36 AM']You dont know if they love the Lord or not. Only the Lord knows that.[/quote]

That is the only thing an action like that can say.

One can love the Lord very much and not go to chuch while someone can say they love the lord alot and go to church and not really love Him.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1813106' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:37 AM']That is the only thing an action like that can say.[/quote]

Are you talking just about catholics ?

Even so I think it's not fair to say that they dont love the lord.

God knows our every thought and intention.

Yes once one knows how sacred the mass is and that Christ is really there in the eucharist I can say you are right and agree with you though.

But there are people who Love the Lord and are not in Church.

Edited by Guest

TotusTuusMaria

I don't know about the first one. Not going to Church says, "I don't love you." So while they are professing one thing their actions are professing another. They obviously do not love him "enough" to do what he has asked them to do or even to go see him... which makes one wonder do they love him at all...

I agree with the second.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1813110' date='Mar 21 2009, 03:39 AM']Are you talking just about catholics ?[/quote]

I am only talking about Catholics.

[quote]Even so I think it's not fair to say that they dont love the lord.[/quote]

That is what their actions are saying...

[quote]God knows our every thought and intention.[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]Yes once one knows how sacred the mass is and that Christ is really there in the eucharist I can say you are right and agree with you though.[/quote]

Alright.

[quote]But there are people who love Love the Lord and are not in Church.[/quote]

If they are Catholic and are able then... well... I question that.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1813111' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:40 AM']I don't know about the first one. Not going to Church says, "I don't love you." So while they are professing one thing their actions are professing another. They obviously do not love him "enough" to do what he has asked them to do or even to go see him... which makes one wonder do they love him at all...[/quote]

Someone can live a live totally contrary to God yet go to mass everyweek and even recieve the eucharist. This person loves the lord ? The priest who is molesting kids loves the lord ?
I dont know only the Lord knows.

On the otherhand you can have someone who doesnt go to church yet talks to God everyday, repents of their sins but does not go to church. Now nonone can confidently say this person doesn't love the lord. What if you were to compare the two ? So the first one loves the Lord yet the second one doesn't ?

I dont agree with that. I do conclude most people who take the time to go to church love the Lord. If you are not making an effort to go to Church then you are right and there is a good chance you are not right with God. But this isn't always the case.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1813119' date='Mar 21 2009, 03:47 AM']Sorry I thought you were responding to both questions with that first post. Just read your second one.[/quote]

:D

• 8 years later...
Child of the child

I'm trying to say this in a lovely way. I don't understand why totus and others are ragging this priest. If your a practicing Catholic and know your faith them you should have no problem with this interview. The Priest is just being sarcastic on this. I guess it wasn't a good thing to do because obviously you guys seem upset and confused. 

Don't stress out to much and relax, take a chill pill and calm down. Nothing that Priest would've said will change the mind of Maher. Maher was looking for a fight/debate and the priest was just laughing at him in his own way. The Priest with respect is of age and is going to make a fool of himself by debating a Atheist at the Vatican. Sorry you guys took it wrong and feel stolen of an opportunity. I love you guys dearly and let's come together and pray for him and ourselves as well. Yes its an old video but i just want to reply for people who will read this. 

It's just a sarcasm not a reality teaching. Its just a priest having Fun. Glory be to the Father Son and Holy Spirit