An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poll: Religious Names

AccountDeleted

Religious Names (fun poll)  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

AccountDeleted

My experience of this topic comes from the Carmelites, who give a religious name upon entry as a Postulant. I was wondering what other orders do, and/or what other people think should be done!

InHisLove726

My future community (God-willing), the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee, WI, allow the new novice to choose her name upon receiving the habit. I think this is the best time. It gives the Sister-to-be the chance to determine, in postulancy, whether or not she made the right decision by entering.

(P.S.--I know this has nothing to do with the question, but I was thrilled when I discovered that my province allows the novices to choose their own names! My friend's province doesn't do the same. She submits 3 names and the Superior chooses. It could be any one of the 3, or one that she hadn't chosen. :) )

Edited by InHisLove726

puellapaschalis

In the House where I (God willing) will enter, the name in religion is given at the same time as the habit, at the [i]beginning[/i] of the novitiate. Postulants may submit up to three names to Mother, who may choose one of them, or may not. I'm told some sisters don't even submit any names and are simply happy with that which Mother gives them ^_^

Haven't voted in the poll though, as I don't have much of an opinion and I'm [i]not[/i] a coward :P

I know Benedictine Communities who give the name upon entrance, some who do it at the time of investiture, and several communities (including the St. Walburga Community [url="http://www.walburga.org/Community.html#anchor_51"]http://www.walburga.org/Community.html#anchor_51[/url] and the Benedictine Sisters at Clyde [url="http://www.clydemonastery.org/index.php)"]http://www.clydemonastery.org/index.php)[/url] that gives it at First Vows.

I guess I understand why some houses give the name at first profession, but I think I prefer either the "novice" time or even upon entrance. To be given a new name upon entrance is an immediate mindset that one has "died" to the old life and become alive to the new - it makes the break with the old-self very cut-and-dried. But perhaps that doesn't work for some who are already adjusting to so much.

On the other hand, to be given a new name-in-religion at investiture is also very lovely. One is putting on the new clothes, receiving a new name, after having a bit of time to taste the life, learn "who one is" in this new way of living. I knew a young woman who - before she entered - was certain what name she would choose if given the chance. By the time she was invested, she had learned so much about herself, and had changed so much in her prayer life, that her three choices were entirely different from the name she'd always dreamed about.

InHisLove726

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1816085' date='Mar 25 2009, 06:35 AM']On the other hand, to be given a new name-in-religion at investiture is also very lovely. One is putting on the new clothes, receiving a new name, after having a bit of time to taste the life, learn "who one is" in this new way of living. I knew a young woman who - before she entered - was certain what name she would choose if given the chance. By the time she was invested, she had learned so much about herself, and had changed so much in her prayer life, that her three choices were entirely different from the name she'd always dreamed about.[/quote]

I rather wonder if that will happen to me... :P I've got a name picked out, but I've changed it several times.

Sr. M. Theresa Catherine of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

I originally wanted Therese for St. Therese of Lisieux, but I'm falling in love with St. Teresa of Avila because of reading "The Interior Castle" (one of my favorite books, to date!). I thought, "well, why don't I combine the two?" :D

I forgot to mention that the title "Sacred Heart of Jesus" will not be added until I profess first vows. :)

[font="Comic Sans MS"]All of the cloistered Carmelites where friends have entered (including Des Plaines, one of the most conservative) have given a religious name at investiture. Nunsense's monasteries are the only ones I've heard who have given one at entrance. Not sure I would like that. It is nice to have time to adjust to a new way of life during the time of postulancy.

I voted for investiture or if one does not receive a habit, then as a novice(which is. of course, the same time, just no habit ;) ).

Most of the Benedictines I know do it as novice, whereas Visitation does it at First Vows.

:) [/font]

Just an opinion here, I think religious name AND habit should be given at the end of the novitiate, when vows mark the first term of real commitment to religious life. I think there are a few communities that do that now.

InHisLove726

[quote name='stlmom' post='1816106' date='Mar 25 2009, 07:40 AM']Just an opinion here, I think religious name AND habit should be given at the end of the novitiate, when vows mark the first term of real commitment to religious life. I think there are a few communities that do that now.[/quote]

I could see how this could be a help, but I'm glad my community invests the novice in the habit. I don't know if I could wait until first vows ;) (kidding of course). LOL!

The ones I know of that wait until first vows are:

The Congregation of Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy
Cloistered Carmelite Nuns of Wahpeton, ND (o.carm.)
Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Los Angeles

Edited by InHisLove726

laetitia crucis

I voted for "upon clothing as a novice".

It would seem that when one is accepted into the Novitiate, she is taking a further step in her discernment with that order and is really becoming "one of them". And in this, she is becoming the "Bride of Christ" ("Spouse of Christ" at First Profession), and like all brides (well, at least traditionally speaking! ^_^ ) taking on a new name. :marriage:

I know some orders will add a title to the sisters' religious name at First Vows. (For example, the Sisters of Life do this if the sister believes this is what God is asking of her.)

Also, I tend to like the name choosing to be the superior's choice as God's will is best made known to religious through their superiors -- though, it's quite nice if the sister may suggest names; I'm sure that's very helpful for the Name Chooser! :D

From personal experience, before entering a community I knew without a doubt I wanted a specific name, and all throughout my postulancy I still felt the same; yet, through prayer God was asking something COMPLETELY different. I submitted what I wanted and what God was telling me through prayer. Guess who was right? :blush: :lol: :lol_pound: And some sisters submit what they want/like and hit the nail on the head!

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1816118' date='Mar 25 2009, 08:19 AM']I could see how this could be a help, but I'm glad my community invests the novice in the habit. I don't know if I could wait until first vows ;) (kidding of course). LOL!

The ones I know of that wait until first vows are:

The Congregation of Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy
Cloistered Carmelite Nuns of Wahpeton, ND (o.carm.)
Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Los Angeles[/quote]

The Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Los Angeles give new names upon entering the novitiate, but as novices they still wear the (rather ugh) blue postulant garb, but with a short white veil.

They receive the full Carmelite habit of a novice approx 4 mos before taking first vows, once the community has voted that they will in fact, be professed. So, they spend just a few months in the habit as novices, then get the black veil.

And they have something like a 97% rate of sisters making it from novitiate to first vows. Apparently their formation program is very good.

InHisLove726

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1816438' date='Mar 25 2009, 06:14 PM']The Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Los Angeles give new names upon entering the novitiate, but as novices they still wear the (rather ugh) blue postulant garb, but with a short white veil.

They receive the full Carmelite habit of a novice approx 4 mos before taking first vows, once the community has voted that they will in fact, be professed. So, they spend just a few months in the habit as novices, then get the black veil.

And they have something like a 97% rate of sisters making it from novitiate to first vows. Apparently their formation program is very good.[/quote]

That's really great! :) I don't like to hear about several young women going home all at the same time. There are some orders who rush into things.

AccountDeleted

I know this is all very personal, but I actually like having the religious name on entry because it does make one feel as if they have left the world. I also like getting the habit as a novice because becoming a novice is when one actually becomes part of the community, and the habit just reinforces this.

But that's why the poll - because we are all so different!

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='nunsense' post='1816774' date='Mar 26 2009, 12:48 AM']I know this is all very personal, but I actually like having the religious name on entry because it does make one feel as if they have left the world. I also like getting the habit as a novice because becoming a novice is when one actually becomes part of the community, and the habit just reinforces this.

But that's why the poll - because we are all so different![/quote]

I'm like you.

However, I voted name at investiture as it is when you become part of the community officially.

St. Teresa of the Andes received her name upon entry as well. :)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' post='1816282' date='Mar 25 2009, 04:48 PM']I voted for "upon clothing as a novice".

It would seem that when one is accepted into the Novitiate, she is taking a further step in her discernment with that order and is really becoming "one of them". And in this, she is becoming the "Bride of Christ" ("Spouse of Christ" at First Profession), and like all brides (well, at least traditionally speaking! ^_^ ) taking on a new name. :marriage:

I know some orders will add a title to the sisters' religious name at First Vows. (For example, the Sisters of Life do this if the sister believes this is what God is asking of her.)

Also, I tend to like the name choosing to be the superior's choice as God's will is best made known to religious through their superiors -- though, it's quite nice if the sister may suggest names; I'm sure that's very helpful for the Name Chooser! :D

From personal experience, before entering a community I knew without a doubt I wanted a specific name, and all throughout my postulancy I still felt the same; yet, through prayer God was asking something COMPLETELY different. I submitted what I wanted and what God was telling me through prayer. Guess who was right? :blush: :lol: :lol_pound: And some sisters submit what they want/like and hit the nail on the head![/quote]

Would you be kind enough to clarify the differece between bride and spouse?

Thanks
Pax