An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poll: Religious Names

AccountDeleted

Religious Names (fun poll)  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1816118' date='Mar 25 2009, 09:19 AM']I could see how this could be a help, but I'm glad my community invests the novice in the habit. I don't know if I could wait until first vows ;) (kidding of course). LOL!

The ones I know of that wait until first vows are:

The Congregation of Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy
Cloistered Carmelite Nuns of Wahpeton, ND (o.carm.)
Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Los Angeles[/quote]
The Apostles of the Sacred Heart have the option of taking a new or additional (middle) name. This is usually done at entrance into the novitiate and reception of the habit, not at first vows.

InHisLove726

[quote name='shortnun' post='1819749' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:26 PM']The Apostles of the Sacred Heart have the option of taking a new or additional (middle) name. This is usually done at entrance into the novitiate and reception of the habit, not at first vows.[/quote]

I meant that they wait to invest the candidate in the religious habit until first vows. ;) Sorry, I didn't really clarify. I have a friend, Katherine, who entered as a pre-postulant in August 2008. She told me that they wear a kind of uniform that changes from each stage until First Vows. :D

littlesister

Religious name at reception into the novitiate. Novice have a black jumper, white bouse, and white veil. The habit comes with profession of first vows.

Trappistines have a change of garb at each step - postulant, novice, first profession, solemn profession.

truthfinder

I don't know which orders do it, by I know that there are some where one receives a name at entrance or when invested (usually invested I think) and then receives a title at first or solemn vows (not entirely sure). Does anyone know an order that follows this?
I selected at investiture because a postulant is just starting out. I think adding a name would add to the pressure. Leaving during the postulancy would be harder, I think, if a new name had been given on entrance.

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1819829' date='Mar 29 2009, 07:56 PM']I meant that they wait to invest the candidate in the religious habit until first vows. ;) Sorry, I didn't really clarify. I have a friend, Katherine, who entered as a pre-postulant in August 2008. She told me that they wear a kind of uniform that changes from each stage until First Vows. :D[/quote]
Ah, yes this does make a difference. Although, when the sisters enter novitiate they do receive the habit. It's just that it doesn't look like the habit of the professed sisters (which is a rule in canon law, I believe). And I know Katherine--we've met on retreat before! :topsy:

InHisLove726

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1821217' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:00 PM']I would like my name upon entrance. Does anybody know what the Lockport Dominicans do?[/quote]

There was an investiture video of Sr. Mary Agnes receiving the habit and name. They confer a new name at the beginning of the novitiate.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbWPoDYTfBc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbWPoDYTfBc[/url]