An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tell A Little About Your Visits

ladybuggirl84

ladybuggirl84

I know there are quite a few people out there wondering what it is like to visit a convent or monastery. If you have visited these places please share your exprience.

Some questions to get you going.

What was the building and area like?
What were the people like?
What was the schedule of each day?
What was morning prayer like?
How were the meals?
What were some of your discussions?
What did you do during the day?
Where did you sleep and what was it like?
Did you have a lot of time to spend praying?
What was the chapel like?
What kinds of ministries and work do the Religious do?
What kind of stuff did you take with you when you went to visit?
What was your most moving moment?
Did you like or dislike the experience and why?

I thought this might be interesting and I will answer it when I get back. I am visiting the Little Servant Sisters of the Immaculate Conception in New Jersey tomorrow. I'll be spending the week with them. I would totally welcome any prayers you feel like shooting my way!

Blessings,
Kristina

DevotedtoHim

I have visited a lot of different convents and monasteries. I went to a Carmelite Monastery and here are my answers for that one:

What was the building and area like? The area was a residential area. I think if you drove by, you would thinkt that it was a church or maybe a school. It was quiet. The building was old fashioned. I only saw the chapel and the parlor, which had a grille. The parlor was very big, and depending upon who was visiting with me, they would bring out different chairs. There were only two chairs on my side. The art on the wall was all religious and some of it was quotes in calligraphy. I would guess maybe the sisters did them. There was a little gift shop on the other side of the entrance, mostly an assortment of things laid out with a trust box. Things like cards, rosaries and medals. Oh, they also had a lawn in the front which I think someone else mowed for them. You could not see into the cloistered garden at all.

What were the people like? The sisters were really nice and really sweet. They spoke very softly and kindly. I was picked up at the airport by one of their benefactors. It was a man which sort of scared me a little bit, but he is a retired doctor and was nice. It took about an hour from the airport to get to the convent. Everybody was nice. The nuns had really nice manners.

What was the schedule of each day? They gave me a printed out schedule of their schedule of prayers so I could go to the chapel when they were in there. Sometimes they opened their grille that faced the altar, sometimes not. But I could always hear them. They used a lot of bells to indicate different things like phone calls, or meals or whatever. I got my meals from the turn and I ate in the parlor by myself. I forgot to say that they have a little tiny guest room that was originally built for priests. I stayed in there. When the sisters weren't at prayer, I was meeting with the Mother Prioress. I also met some of the other sisters. We stuck to their schedule pretty much because I didn't meet with anyone while they were at prayer. Also, I got rest time in the afternoon which was great because I needed a nap!

What was morning prayer like? They chant and I tried to follow but it was hard using the book and flipping back and forth. If I enter, I will need a lot of help!

How were the meals? Fantastic! Vegeterian. The Mother said that she believed the sisters should have good food because their life is so difficult and that food can make things easier. They weren't fancy but you could tell a lot of care went into how they were made and also the way that it was placed on the plate. Like a restaurant, so nice!

What were some of your discussions? Mostly about the life, getting through the hard times, struggles I still am facing regarding finances and family, them trying to discern along with me if I would be a good fit there.

What did you do during the day? Visited the parlor, spent time in the chapel, read, wrote in my diary and cleaned the public part of the chapel for the sisters. (Not hard just dusted, swept, etc.)

Where did you sleep and what was it like? In the little guest room. Very quiet and very nice. There was a nice bookshelf and I looked at a lot of the books there.

Did you have a lot of time to spend praying? Yes. More than I could imagine.

What was the chapel like? It was very gorgeous. It was also fantastic that I could be alone in there.

What kinds of ministries and work do the Religious do? Contemplative Carmelite Nuns.

What kind of stuff did you take with you when you went to visit? Diary, clothes (no pants), my Bible, Rosary, box of chocolate for the nuns.

What was your most moving moment? When the sub-prioress told me her vocation story. I think she almost cried and I definitely wanted to cry!

Did you like or dislike the experience and why? I loved the experience. I want to go back. I felt at home, I felt happy and I felt at peace. I feel like it might be the place for me to enter.

I hope other people will answer this because these are always the questions that I wonder about, too!

In HIM,
Katherine

Edited by DevotedtoHim

InHisLove726

I'll describe my experience with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee (the order I have applied to). I went last month, so it's fresh in my mind. :D

The building was unusual. It was down a residential street in Wauwatosa, which is a sub-section of Milwaukee. The area was GORGEOUS! I was picked up by two Sisters, one was the novice mistress, Sr. Immaculata, and the other was Sr. Mary Zachary. They told me that they normally take the visitors to the back of the convent, but since I had never been there before, she wanted to show me the main street. The street is lined with trees that make a canopy above. What we found rather ironic was that there is a Lutheran church right by the convent, and Mother Foundress was Lutheran before her conversion! If I had gone down that street myself, I probably would have missed the convent completely. It was built on to a house in the 1930s, so it blends in, really well.

The Sisters were lovely. I respect them very much, and I never met one that I didn't like that weekend. They made me feel at home, and I felt very comfortable there.

I got a printed out schedule of the day to day events. Saturday was the only full day I had there, so I here is the schedule:

[quote]6:30 Morning and Daytime Prayer
7:00 Meditation
7:30 Mass
8:00 Office of Readings followed by Breakfast
8:30 Cleanup (the retreatants--me and one other girl--and a sister who was transferring
watched a video about the order)
10:00-11:00 Conference with a seminarian
Questions/Chat-time
12:00 Dinner
After dinner, visit Boy's Home (one of their apostolates)
1:15 Vocation story hour
2:30 Rosary and Mercy Chaplet
3:00 Snack
3:15 Information on the Brown Scapular
Information on the Rosary
Quiet time or talk to the Sisters and novices
4:30 Way of the Cross
5:15 Evening Prayer and Meditation
6:00 Monastic Supper (no talking; we listened to a beautiful tape recording)
7:15 Recreation
8:15 Night Prayer
Retire (maintain Profound Silence)[/quote]

Morning prayer was nice. I was a little groggy from having just woken up, but it really set the day aside for the Lord and His work. We prayed from the Liturgy of the Hours and then had meditation and examen of conscience to prepare for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Meals were excellent. Normally, the Sisters eat in their refectory, but since there were only two retreatants, they ate dinner and supper with us. Breakfast was still in Grand Silence so they ate separate. I had no meat while I was there, though they are not vegetarians. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday are their days of abstinence from meat, but I didn't miss it. I was there from Friday-Sunday, and I left Sunday morning after Mass. The first night, I was so tired, I don't remember what I had! LOL! The breakfast had many choices (too many, LOL), but I ate cereal. They put out toast, grapefruit, cereal, milk, orange juice, waffles, syrup, and muffins. It was just me and another girl, so a lot of food was reused the next day. Dinner (or lunch) consisted of Cousin's tuna fish sandwiches (because of the guests), chopped vegetables with ranch dip, and potato chips. Grape juice and water were available to drink. They had a snack about 3 hours later which consisted of coffee, cookies and peaches in syrup. I normally don't drink coffee, but I had some since I wanted to stay awake. :wacko:

The monastic supper was a great experience. There is no talking between the Sisters and a tape was put on. We ate rice noodles mixed with veggies and hard-boiled eggs (YUM) thanks to the Filipino Sisters in the order, bread with butter and salad. There was herbal tea and water to drink (the herbal tea was so good it didn't need sugar!). Food never was dull and you never went hungry. One of the Sisters came around and served those who desired a second helping.

The discussions were mostly about vocations and the stories of the Sisters. I learned a lot from the Vocation Story Hour. :)

I slept in one of the nice guestrooms. There was no TV, but I brought my iPod along to listen to on the plane, so I listen to some music if I couldn't sleep (which only happened once). There was a bed, desk and chair, a crucifix, a nightstand, and two padded chairs in the room (which is bigger than my bedroom at home). The other girl and I got our own rooms so it was easy to sleep.

The Carmelite vocation revolves around prayer, and there was certainly enough time for it. If you didn't feel you had enough time during the day, you got absolute silence at night in your room, which was very conducive to prayer.

The chapel was very humble and simple, but it was fit for a King. The Tabernacle was unusual. It was round, and had a crown on top. They just recently renovated the Chapel. It has the 14 Stations of the Cross (which we used) and religious statues (one of St. John of the Cross, one of St. Joseph and the Infant Jesus, and one of the Mother Foundress with prayer candles). The altar area was lovely. It had a nice, large crucifix with two angels beneath in genuflection. On the sides of the altar, there was a statue of the Sacred Heart (left side) and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (right).

The Sisters have a boys and girls home (separate) for delinquent children, a Holy Innocents Center for emergency cases (for orphaned, neglected, or abused children), and two elderly homes. The Sister took us on a tour of the boys home. :)

I took enough clothes for the weekend. I brought warm clothes, and I'm glad I did because it snowed all of Saturday (very beautiful). I brought boots too. I brought my rosary, bible, and prayer book, though I only used the rosary. The prayer books were provided and so were the LOTH books. They provided towels and washcloths so I just brought toiletries. I brought my iPod to listen to on the plane and a few magazines.

I had two very moving experiences. I got shivers when the Carmelites put on their mantles to prepare for Mass on Sunday morning. It was so beautiful, seeing them in their mantles! I had to restrain the tears! I also spent a few minutes in Adoration before I left Sunday morning. I could hear Jesus calling me to a life with the Sisters, and again, I about cried. :) It also snowed there and I haven't seen snow since 1989. :D

I loved everything about the experience. I found my true calling and began the application process. The part I disliked the most was having to leave! I had to leave too soon! :D

dauntingknight

I happen to work at a Monastery and the Poor Clare nuns never run out of things for you to do.
The work I do is that I trim around the property, cut grapes when they need grapes to be cut(Delicious grapes, better than store bought), pick up branches that have fallen and fix objects that need fixing.
Even though I work their once or twice a week during the summer, I still don't know everything that goes on, but all I know is that they are always having visitors and meetings, so on and so forth.

On time I spent a good half hour telling a sister what a GPS system, laptop computers, cell phones that take pictures and digital TV.

Edited by dauntingknight

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='dauntingknight' post='1818209' date='Mar 27 2009, 10:17 PM']I happen to work at a Monastery and the Poor Clare nuns never run out of things for you to do.
The work I do is that I trim around the property, cut grapes when they need grapes to be cut(Delicious grapes, better than store bought), pick up branches that have fallen and fix objects that need fixing.
Even though I work their once or twice a week during the summer, I still don't know everything that goes on, but all I know is that they are always having visitors and meetings, so on and so forth.

On time I spent a good half hour telling a sister what a GPS system, laptop computers, cell phones that take pictures and digital TV.[/quote]

:lol_roll:

im impressed dauntingknight that you help in that way. ^_^

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

He is Risen!

I have visited the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal several times and they are the freshest in my mind. I've gone a few times where there's been a batch of girls there, and sometimes just by myself.

What was the building and area like? I got to visit all three of their convents. They are all in poor urban areas in the Bronx and Harlem. Two of them had a little garden area. The insides of the convents are very simple with a few icons on the walls. They always smelled like a combination of incense and food cooking. The streets outside are loud with car stereos, buses, and ice cream sirens.

What were the people like? The sisters excelled at hospitality, dinner would go on for a while because we were all talking and laughing so much. (dinner there is recreation time) They were characterized by their joy and their prayerfulness.

What was the schedule of each day? Office of Readings, quiet prayer (you can get coffee and go to your room if you like) morning prayer, mass, class/work, midday prayer, lunch, work, free time, evening prayer, supper/recreation, rosary, night prayer, bed. I can't remember when adoration was, but there is at least one holy hour, 2 in the novitiate.

What was morning prayer like? Early. It was beautiful, mostly chanted, said slowly and meditatively.

How were the meals? Meals were fine. Meal was always followed by tea, fruit, and nuts. Lots of talking and joking. Opened with a reading from the life of St. Francis and on Fri. the sisters renew their vows.

What were some of your discussions? We talked about listening to God, ways that God communicates with us, some of the sisters shared their vocation stories, and just logistical questions about being a sister.

What did you do during the day? I got to tag along and follow the sisters' schedule. As far as chores went, I got to help a lot at the house that they are still moving into, painting walls, cleaning out the basement, etc. At the other houses, chores were simpler, got to sit in on postulant and novice classes.

Where did you sleep and what was it like? At one of their convents, I slept in a big room with lots of beds(with mattresses), at the other ones, I got my own cell that was more like the sisters' (wooden bed with no mattress) The radiator made lots of crazy noises!

Did you have a lot of time to spend praying? When I looked at the schedule at first, I thought that it would be impossible to pray that much each day. As the time went on, I really found myself looking forward to the prayer times. I think we totaled about 5 hours in prayer each day in the chapel not counting any extra you might do on your own.

What was the chapel like? Lovely. Very simple wood floors and off white walls. Tabernacle was front and center flanked by Our Lady of Guadalupe and the San Damiano crucifix. There are no kneelers, you kneel on the floor and instead of pews, there are wooden chairs. You don't wear shoes in the chapel and kiss the floor as you come and go.

What kinds of ministries and work do the Religious do? They work with the poor doing a food give out and a soup kitchen with a heavy emphasis on evangelization. They also do have a youth group/class that comes to their convent once a week, and do more with kids during the summer when school is out. Some things they do with the friars like parish missions youth 2000, and a little bit in their shelter/ kitchen.

What kind of stuff did you take with you when you went to visit? Some clothes, (no pants, just skirts/dresses) Notebook for taking down thoughts, info, etc, food donation for sisters. Most everything is provided that you would need: towel, breviary, bible, soap, alarm clock, etc.

What was your most moving moment? I was most moved by being around so many peaceful, joyful people, and getting to spend so much time in prayer. Some of the sisters' witnesses were also very moving.

Did you like or dislike the experience and why? Yes. It was nice to step out of my regular routine and enter into such a peaceful place. I really had a sense of the sacredness of even everyday activities, that was something that I could take home and try to implement. Prayer came very easily, even when I wasn't in the chapel, I found myself praying through out the day.

I'll answer this question about the convent I visit(ed) most. [b][url="http://www.ascjus.org/u_s_province/qa.asp"]HERE[/url][/b]. Though I have also been to the sisters' motherhouse in Connecticut.

[b]What was the building and area like?[/b]
It's an old YMCA camp. So it's two houses which have been connected together. The bottom floor are a few retreat rooms of various sizes, the chapel, and the big kitchen. The guest rooms are upstairs on one floor. There are about 8 rooms, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchen. And the sisters' rooms, kitchen, and small chapel are on the other side.

[b]What were the people like?[/b]
There are 5 sisters who live there, though in the summer all the sisters from the area come for recreation on weekends. Because this is the largest convent in the area, these sisters often host holidays. The sisters are great! Very, warm, friendly and welcoming.

[b]What was the schedule of each day?[/b]
I've been there on a women's retreat (with a group unaffiliated with the sisters), a discernment weekend-long retreat, as well as day retreats. Each time the format has varied. But for discernment retreats, we follow a modified version of the sisters' day (morning prayer and night prayer is later than usual). We also went to Mass, ate a lot!, had recreation, and heard talks.

[b]How were the meals?[/b]
Fabulous! The Italian heritage of these sisters is not lost. Each time I've been there for retreat, another sister from the area has come in to volunteer and cook for us all weekend. Each convent sends breakfast goodies or snacks, too. They do not eat meat on Fridays year round. And they are very accommodating to vegetarians.

[b]What were some of your discussions?[/b]
Gosh, I can't recall all of them. We usually hear talks on scripture, sometimes doing lectio divina. We also hear talks on discernment (sometimes with Q&A with the sisters in formation) and the history of the community.

[b]Where did you sleep and what was it like?[/b]
Everyone has a private room and a shared bath down the hall. The sisters are next to a train track and it's very peaceful to fall asleep to train whistles.

[b]Did you have a lot of time to spend praying?[/b]
Yuppers--morning prayer (20-30 mins), Mass (45 mins), adoration (30-60 mins), evening prayer and reading (30-40 mins), and night prayer (20-30 mins). These times were approximate because the format of the day often varied. Sometimes a priest could come early in the day for Mass, so morning prayers would immediately precede Mass. Other times, those would be two separate events.

[b]What was the chapel like?[/b]
Lovely. Small. Two rows of four pews. Blue stained glass and [b][url="http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs028.snc1/2654_592694418527_5606285_36886308_6445981_n.jpg"]the most amazing tabernacle you've ever seen [/url][/b]in your life. (Forgive the grainy picture.) The sacred heart opens to reveal the monstrance. Very lovely.

[b]What kinds of ministries and work do the Religious do?[/b]
It various by part of the world. Education pretty much runs across the board. In the USA, the sisters are also involved in parish work, diocesan offices, and healthcare support to their own sisters.

[b]What kind of stuff did you take with you when you went to visit?[/b]
Regular clothes. Skirt for Mass. Walking shoes. Sweaters b/c the sisters house can be finicky with the hot/cold.

[b]What was your most moving moment?[/b]
Most moving? How about most fun! That would be when a group of 12 sisters and 4 retreatants played charades until 10pm! The sisters were hilarious and we all had a great time.

[b]Did you like or dislike the experience and why?[/b]
I loved every minute of it. :love:

kavalamyself

The most recent visit I made was to a Poor Clare monastery. It did not go that well, so I am not going to say which one. But here is what happened:

Very plain. Looked like a school.

They were ok but the Mother Abbess asked me about my weight, which I thought was rude and they hurt my feelings. She told me if I wanted to enter I would have to lose a lot of weight.

12:20 a.m. Rise for Matins (I was expected to get up and listen in the chapel)
4:50 a.m.. Rise for Lauds (Also I was expected to get up and listen)
5:50 Coffee (I got a cup of coffee through the turn)
6:30 - 7:30 Lectio (I went back to bed)
7:30 Terce (I listened)
8:00 Holy Mass (I attended and there were a lot of people in the Chapel with me)
9:00 Morning work begins (I met with the Mother Abbess and the Mother Vicaress - interview)
11:25 Sext (I listened)
12:00 Dinner (Disgusting food, nothing fresh, no salt or seasonings for penance)
1:30 p.m. Rosary & None (I did it and listened)
2:15 Work (I had a class on the history of Poor Clares by the Vocation Mistress)
4:20 Vespers & Adoration (I listened and did it)
5:25 Collation (A piece of bread, coagulated milk and water)
6:30 Recreation (I met with the Mother Abbess with the Mother Vicaressagain)
7:30 Compline (I listened)
8:45 Retire (I was exhausted and fell asleep immediately)

I couldn't understand it, I didn't get a book and it was the first time I had been in that situation. Nobody helped me.

How were the meals?
The only real meal I had was dinner and that was honestly disgusting. This Poor Clare monastery sees food as a penance, only to keep the body going, so there is no seasoning allowed. No salt.

The Mother Abbess and Mother Vicaress told me mostly about how hard the life is, how penance-like it is, and how I needed to lose weight. They asked me a lot of personal questions about my background, my family, my purity, my education, etc. I like to garden. I like dogs. They asked me if I would be willing to give everything I like up as a sacrifice for the Lord. The class on the history of the Poor Clares that the Vocation sister gave was interesting and she had a lot of pictures that she passed through the turn so I could look at them. She gave me a holy card of St. Clare dead in her grave that has a see through cover.

I did whatever I was told, I kept to their schedule, I couldn't really follow the praying but I did my best and I used that time to listen to their chant (it was really high) but it was kind of weird because I couldn't see them. I said my rosary a lot. Once I wrote in my journal during one of the prayer times. I think it was after my class because I took notes while the Novice sister was speaking. (She told me to take notes.)

I slept in a small room that was in their church. It is over the church, on the same floor as the choir loft. It had a sink in it and the bathroom was off the choir loft. It was not "in" the monastery.

Did you have a lot of time to spend praying? Yes.

Plainer than I thought it would be. Modern.

They pray all day and also do a lot of penance, including a cross prayer where you stick your arms out like you are on a cross. I tried it and it hurts. They also garden, make holy cards (with a printing press), answer the phone and keep the place clean.

They gave me a list:
BIBLE, ONE NOTEBOOK WITH ONE PEN AND ONE PENCIL, TWO JUMPERS BLACK, GREY OR BROWN, WHITE LONG SLEEVE SHIRTS, SENSIBLE SHOES OR TENNIS SHOES CLOSED TOES, PERSONAL ITEMS, WHITE UNDERWEAR AND BRA, ONE TOWEL, ONE WASHCLOTH. Also, my pastor told me to bring them a gift. He suggested a basket of fruit, which I brought.

Honestly it was when they talked about my weight because that is something that I have struggled with and I didn't think nuns would be so into looks. I cried.

I disliked it. My pastor seems to think this was an unusual experience and he wants me to keep looking. He keeps saying that I should try to find another one to visit so at least I can get this out of my memory and believe there are kind nuns out there.

mariaassunta

Hi I was a Second year novice with a religious community and have to say my time there was wonderful and I would not change any of it for the world. If He is calling you to the Religious life, please Do not be afraid for His love is more than the world can offer.

God Bless.

puellapaschalis

kavalamyself - if I can ask, what about the prayers didn't you understand?

There has been a discussion here about weight (and other physical changes) and religious life; have you read it? I'll see if I can find it.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I’ve visited a few different communities, but my most recent (and frequent) visit was the Poor Clare Colettines in Rockford.

[b] What was the building and area like? [/b]

The monastery is in a residential area toward the outskirts of the city. The neighborhood is particularly poor, although nothing bad has ever happened to the Sisters. The chapel was built in the 20’s or the 30’s (I can’t recall right now, but the community was founded in 1916) and is simple, but so beautiful. It was actually built much bigger than they intended it to be! The rest of the monastery was built much later, much of it from the 60’s. It is very simple and humble and true to a Franciscan Charism. It isn’t always quiet as there is a main road on the chapel side of the monastery and you can frequently hear sirens and in the warmer months loud music! It is still a very quiet place in the midst of all the noise. They have a tall brick wall that surrounds the enclosure and they also have an acre of land that has trees and a tall chain link fence around it. I don’t know what the inside of the enclosure looks like, although from pictures and stories, the sisters used everything they could to build shelves and other things they needed.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/LausTibiChriste/Catholic/overhead.jpg[/img]

[b] What were the people like? [/b]

Uber generous! They were very kind, compassionate and also very wise women! Some of them are so funny and delightful. I haven’t met one that I didn’t like! I always find it easy to talk with the Sisters, but I usually either run out of things to say or questions to ask. I’m not so good with carrying on conversations, but some of the Sisters are more than happy to help :) They are full of joy and peace at all times and have a great sense of humor to boot!

[b] What was the schedule of each day? [/b]

12:30 a.m. - Rise
12:45 a.m. - Matins (Office of Readings) Meditation
1:45 a.m. - Retire
5:00 a.m. - Rise Dusting charge
5:30 a.m. - Lauds (Morning Prayer)
6:00 a.m. - Meditation
7:00 a.m. - Rosary
7:30 a.m. - Holy Sacrifice of the Mass Thanksgiving Breakfast Work period
9:30 a.m. - The Abbess’ blessing Terce (Midmorning Prayer) Work period
11:45 a.m. - Sext (Midday Prayer)
12:00 p.m. - Angelus & Examen Dinner
1:00 p.m. - General work
1:30 p.m. - Quiet time
2:00 p.m. - None (Midafternoon Prayer) Work period
4:30 p.m. - Vespers (Evening Prayer) Scripture reading
5:30 p.m. - Angelus Collation (Supper)
6:30 p.m. - Recreation
7:30 p.m. - Compline (Night Prayer) Free time
9:00 p.m. - Retire

The Sisters would ask if I was coming to Matins and were very considerate of other needs (like if I had to drive home the next day!) and understood that not everyone is ready for Matins the minute they step in the door! There was usually an hour for adoration each day while I visited. The above schedule is what the Sisters follow and basically what I was able to do as well. They served only dinner and collation and breakfast was on my own, however they have a readily supplied guest/extern kitchen. Occasionally the schedule would change from day to day, but not by much and usually Fridays are a little rearranged because the Rosary is before Benediction in the afternoon. They have adoration from after Mass in the morning until Benediction in the afternoon on Fridays. Their monstrance is monstrous!

[b] What was morning prayer like? [/b]

Tired! I like sleep too much for my own good. It was very beautiful. Each office was chanted and because it was lent at my last visit, they do not use the organ unless it was Sunday or a Holy Day/Solemnity. During the colder times of year, I would have a kneeler in the Sacristy to listen to the Sisters in the cloister chapel so I could follow along. They supplied me a book and a card where they would write the pages for the psalms and such. There was also a little booklet with the prayers that they say at each office and the order in which everything happens. In the warmer months I would be in the Sanctuary near the grille and they would leave a door open so I could hear from there!

This is the door in the Sacristy.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/LausTibiChriste/Catholic/Picturas061.jpg[/img]

[b] How were the meals? [/b]

Amazing. I guess I live a somewhat penitential life already considering we rarely use salt in our house, so everything tasted so good! They only thing they have served me that I didn’t like was beets, but that is because I have hated them since I was little! I ate some anyways, and they weren’t bad at all. As I mentioned before, I was only served dinner by the Sisters and they are VERY generous with their portions. Next time I go, I have to remember not to eat it all in one sitting and save some for collation later that night! There is always a variety of food in their kitchen and there is always the staples (eggs, milk, cheeze, bread..). I’ve never met a meal I didn’t like. I’m not very picky when it comes to food, so this may or may not be helpful. :)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/LausTibiChriste/Catholic/Picturas035.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/LausTibiChriste/100_4056.jpg[/img]

[b] What were some of your discussions? [/b]

Goodness. We’ve talked about a lot of things. Somethings that are happening in the Church, things at home, how the elderly sisters are doing, the good things they are working on, information about the rate of abortion in the city and what they have been doing to help the pro-life efforts, animals, saints, Scripture, and many other good and holy things. At my recent visit, we talked more about my vocation and if I am really called to be a Poor Clare there. It was a little distressing to think I could have lost my vocation! But, with lots of prayer and discernment I am pretty sure it is still there! Most of my last visit was either with Mother Abbess or the Novice Mistress, and recreation was with the novitiate. In the past (when it wasn’t a penitential season, I spent recreation with all the Sisters! It was a very crowded parlor!).

[b] What did you do during the day? [/b]

If you weren’t working, eating, or sleeping, you were praying. My last visit I cleaned, varnished, sanded, and painted some benches that are used on the property. I cut out little badges for the Sisters to crochet a border on. I cut out 360 of those little suckers! I also prepared some silk flowers for Mother Abbess to use in making Communion veils.

[b] Where did you sleep and what was it like? [/b]

In the basement which is actually right underneath the Chapel! :) It was a little room with two beds, a desk, dresser, and rocking chair. There were a few books for reading or reflection as well. When it is cold, the basement is cold but the little room can get nice and warm with a little heater and you can close the door. It’s very nice in the summer time though. It was rather fun to wake up about 5am to the banging of the pipes when the furnace was turned on in the morning. They still have radiator heating and those pipes can cause quite the ruckus! At least the basement has a built in alarm clock to wake up for morning prayer! There was also a conventual alarm clock so that you could set a time and really know what time it is when you get up!

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/LausTibiChriste/Catholic/Picturas028.jpg[/img]

[b] Did you have a lot of time to spend praying? [/b]

Very much so. My latest visit I felt was just infused with prayer! When I arrived early for office, I would be able to sit and meditate on a beautiful Crucifix in the Sacristy. I would say a Hail Mary when returning from work. There is also an hour of free time in the afternoon to rest, pray or work as well.

[b] What was the chapel like? [/b]

Stunning. I did talk about it before a bit. I love the stained glass windows and the high altar though and they have the most intriguing statues of Mary and St. Joseph. I think they look very Jewish, but they are beautiful! I think pictures would do it more justice than my words!

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/LausTibiChriste/100_4088.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/LausTibiChriste/Catholic/chapels.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/LausTibiChriste/Catholic/Picturas062.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/LausTibiChriste/Catholic/Picturas065marycrop.jpg[/img]

[b] What kinds of ministries and work do the Religious do? [/b]

They make altar breads for the nearby churches and they have a little shop where they sell some things. They make Job’s Tears rosaries and chaplets, copes for the Infant of Prague statues, Communion veils, and some other crocheted goods. Other than that, they do maintainance and upkeep of the monastery, lots of gardening (although the garden has shrunk in the past), printing holy/prayer cards and materials, and sometimes getting books together to be published! Their latest was a book on Bl. Marie Celine who was just beatified recently! They have some lovely photos at the end of the book.

[b] What kind of stuff did you take with you when you went to visit? [/b]

Layers of clothes because I know it gets cold! If I could have found my Bible and mantilla, those would have came with, but I could not find them! I had my Rosary, some books to do research for Theology of the Body and some devotional books for prayers and such. In the past I have brought homework, but never found the time to do it! I like to sit and doodle/draw as well, so I bring a sketch book or a notebook. I brought some food items as well as a thank you. Other than that, it was just the basic stuff.

[b] What was your most moving moment? [/b]

I remember my first visit when I went to Matins for the first time. The chapel was so quiet and dark. After the office, I left the sanctuary and kneeled at the altar rail and just gushed to Jesus about how beautiful this all was and that it felt so right--it felt like home. I spent some time there before my tiredness caught up with me and it was back to bed for four more hours.
Goodness, I think the next visit I arrived on a Friday right at the end of the Rosary before Benediction and I remember feeling like a fish caught on a line. A line that was coming from Our Eucharistic King and sunk deep into my heart and constantly tugging me. It was beautiful :)

[b]Did you like or dislike the experience and why? [/b]

I have loved every minute of my time there. Even when I was locked out and nearly missed dinner! I have been received as a guest very graciously and very generously provided for. I find that I am most at peace there, even when I am tired and I find it so hard to pray. Every moment there is joy to be found. It just isn’t always there on the surface.

Goodness, I think I went on a little long. Sorry about that... :blush:

kavalamyself

I didn't understand how to follow the liturgy of the hours. I did bring my own prayer book of the hours, but it is shortened and I didn't have a copy of what they were saying. I think they use the four volume book set. You probably know what I mean. Anyway, the priest that counsels me thinks they had made up their mind asap after seeing me and didn't want to encourage me further. He said monastics usually mark the pages (and give the person a book) so they can follow along. I think he was right.

I have seen the weight thread and I can say that I am overweight but I do hold down a job, I do not have bad habits (except I do eat too much) and I am capable of living normally. I do see some of their points like - am I glutton? will I be able to get into the food being a penance thing and other food related issues, but to be honest, I felt their questions were very harsh. If I were them, would have mentioned the weight in regards to legitimate concerns as opposed to the way they acted. I have read other things here and I think I would be happier in a community that didn't see food as a penance. I would like to enjoy it. Especially since I will be in penance in other areas of my life. The priest/pastor says this is a sign that this community was not for me.

I know most experiences are good. I just wanted to give an example of one that wasn't so maybe other people out there who are also having a hard time but too embarrassed to say anything would know it is not always great.

Thomist-in-Training

The Poor Clares of the Immaculate.
Pietravairano, Caserta, Italy.

What was the building and area like? Gorgeous, in a falling down sort of way. The monastery is several centuries old, the church is several centuries older than that, and the shrine in the crypt part of the church is, according to legend, a few centuries older than that. The monastery has a traditional setup around a square cloister, though the center is paved, with lots of potted plants instead of a garden in the soil. Outside, there is a garden within the enclosure with vegetables and a small orchard with different fruit trees. The Poor Clares have only recently moved there (since November 2008), so they were still cleaning and setting up as of December and January 2008-9 when I was there.

Where there any other strange circumstances when you were there?
Since they had just moved, they were all exclaustrated; there was no grille or separate guest quarters yet. (Though the monastery at Pietravairano has been a monastery for centuries, they are the first women to occupy it; it used to be Dominican friars, then Franciscan ones.) For this reason, they allowed me to stay in the guest rooms and also to pray in choir between two nuns, eat in the refectory between two nuns, dry dishes with the nuns. Usually they do not have visits inside the enclosure. So it was a great privilege and helped me very much to understand what the life is like.

What were the people like? The nuns were mostly in their thirties, some in their twenties, probably some in their forties though I didn't ask :) and the Mother Abbess older, around sixty. They are all very kind and were happy to meet me. They have a great sense of humor but also know that life is serious business.

This is the Poor Clares' schedule. They wouldn't let me get up for Matins, and usually the Mother Abbess wanted me to rest in the afternoon after lunch instead of praying None and the second rosary, and they didn't have the processions when I was there because they'd just moved in and were still organizing the house.

Midnight – 1:00am Matins and Holy Rosary (with Blessed Sacrament exposed); sleep
5:45 Rising
6:00 Morning prayers; Lauds; Meditation
7:30 Holy Mass
8:05 circa Thanksgiving after Mass, Holy Rosary, Terce
8:45 Breakfast (with recorded spiritual reading)
9:00-Noon Turns of Eucharistic Adoration; work
Noon: Sext & Holy Rosary (with Blessed Sacrament exposed)
12:50pm Refectory: Lunch with brief reading, recreation at table
2:00pm Choir: thanksgiving prayers; retire to cell for siesta
3:00pm None, Holy Rosary (procession with statue of O.L. of Fatima), Spiritual Reading
4:00pm Study time in cells
6:00pm Choir: Meditation (with Blessed Sacrament exposed)
7:00pm Vespers. [Friday: Rosary of 7 Sorrows, Saturday: Franciscan Crown, Sunday: Rosary of 7 Glories]
7:30 Supper with recreation
9:00 Night prayers, Compline
10:00pm Sleep

How were the meals? TASTY! I was pretty pleased to notice the difference between an Italian religious house and an American one (at least this Italian Poor Clare house and the Carmelites I know): the Carmelites can't have caffeine; the Poor Clares have a bowl of coffee-and-milk (in proportion so that the milk is a light tan) for breakfast and also a small cup of [i]caffe[/i] (we'd call it espresso) in the afternoon as a pick-me-up on days they're working particularly hard. They also had table wine that people had given them (people have vineyards in their yards in certain parts of Italy, the way you might have zucchini plants) which you could choose to drink if you wanted with some meals. I imagine this varies depending on the season, but I don't remember for certain.
As for the food, it was simple but delicious. An example of one meal--the midday meal, which was the main one. A nun comes out and gives each person a plate of tagliatelle in tomato sauce. There is a basket of bread on the table and water or wine to drink. As people finish eating, she picks up the plates again and brings out another plate. This one has a portion of salad, three halves of hard-boiled egg with a little mayonnaise, and cooked fennel bulb with coagulated milk sauce. After you finish this, you may want one or two pieces of fruit which you can choose from a basket on the table: oranges, apples, kiwis and bananas were the most common. (The refectory tables seat three and are arranged in a U shape.) There was no salt on the table or anything, but I never even thought of it. Everything was well-seasoned but not over-seasoned, and filling. (The evening meal would consist of just one plate, pasta or soup or rice, plus bread and fruit in the same way.) The main penances involving food are that usually on Fridays breakfast is eaten kneeling; the bread is kept on the table even if it is stale, so sometimes the choice was stale bread or no bread; and the same for the fruit, it might be mushy, although nothing moldy was ever seen on the table. In Lent they have more penances, obviously; I think breakfast is optional then and there was something else which I don't remember.

My family; the sisters' vocations; whether I felt at home (this was with the Mother Abbess); guardian angels; Gerard Manley Hopkins...

Went to five or six hours of prayers with the sisters; in the afternoon I had two or three hours when I was supposed to take a nap, ideally. Sometimes I did, sometimes I read and sometimes I sent emails to my family via BlackBerry. After a few days I started helping dry dishes after lunch and dinner, and about three days before I left I knew enough to put some of them away. I helped a tiny bit in the kitchen just once or twice. I had two private conversations with the Abbess over two and a half weeks (she would also ask me how I was doing after lunch and so on, I mean longer, twenty-minute conversations); it took me a while to be able to understand her Italian. One of the postulants was mostly in charge of taking care of me: walking with me to the bathroom for the first week so I didn't get lost in the house, translating quick conversations for me at dinner, heating up my room before siesta and in the evening, showing me how to wash my clothes... I told her she was half guardian angel and half baby sitter! She answered tons and tons of questions about everything.

A guest room--that wing may be used for a novitiate when they are done renovating the monastery. There was a nice window with curtains, two beds (since right then they were using the guest rooms to offer to their relatives who were helping with renovations), two nightstands, a closet with about five hangers, and a desk; bathroom next door.

When I was there, it was REALLY, REALLY cold, because they didn't have any heating and it was December. They lent me sweaters, a warm nightgown, a scarf, and slippers to keep me warm and were always checking whether I was warm enough. They wore sweaters under their habits and long scarves that matched the habits on top of their habits. (The habits are grey-blue, sort of rough-looking fabric, with cord with five knots, a rosary, sandals, a capelet or manteletta, whatever it's called, a wimple tucked into it, and a blue veil--fairly close to the grey-blue of the habit. Postulants wear a dress that looks similar to the habit but a cloth belt instead of the cord, a smoother fabric, and they wear a brighter blue veil in the "modified" style.)

Yes, one hour of Adoration plus half an hour or so of Meditation usually.

There was the Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Vine (Santuario Madonna della Vigna) where they had Mass, which is in the Baroque style with yellow marble and side-altars to Franciscan and Dominican Saints. The choir space was actually behind the high altar; there was also a choir loft where the nuns sang for most of Mass, coming downstairs to receive Holy Communion. This setup may change, though, as they put in the grilles.
There was also a small adoration chapel near the nuns' cells with a beautiful statue of Our Lady of Fatima, and another of St. Clare painted in the colors of their habit.

They're Poor Clares; they sing and pray. They have sold a few CDs as well, actually.

Lots of books, warm clothes but not enough, chapel veil.

It's interesting how people are different. Some of the nuns I talked to daily and others I only talked to four or five times but they would say something that was packed with meaning and always smile at me sweetly. One or two days into my stay, one of the nuns walked into the room where I was doing some chore and held up her hand with the Rosary around it. "I'm praying for you!"
I like symbolism, so I was also impressed when I got to go down into the garden with two sisters from the novitiate. Having just moved in and it being winter, the nuns hadn't done any work on it yet. Walking among the trees, though, we could tell that they were different kinds of fruit trees: here, a fig; there, a lemon; there, an olive; here, a wandering grapevine. It had a lot of potential now that there were people living in the monastery to care for it again.

It was fantastic. I was fully convinced that the nuns really are "real people," who have had a difficult time getting there like I have, have a good sense of humor, but they are also serious about being holy. I was reassured through experience that, although it won't be easy, with God's grace I can live that life as well. I'm working on my visa now. :))

puellapaschalis

I don't feel comfortable answering all the questions other than this one:

[b]What was your most moving moment?[/b]

During my last visit there were a few, but the one that sticks out in my memory is washing up after supper. The novitiate wash up in a separate kitchen, but then take everything back to the "service kitchen" and help get things ready for breakfast. Now monasteries are, I think, peculiar things in some respects: things are laid out just [i]so[/i]. Likely no-one knows why, and it's perfectly practical, so there's no good reason to change it. But sometimes getting all of this down pat is a task and a half.

Anyway. One evening I was helping clean up; I had gotten the two ginormous (but not quite equally-sized) teapots ready (and in the right place), [i]with[/i] the correct size teabags (XXL and XXXL); after which I took the two even bigger kettles and put them over by the sink (XXXXL nearest the wall and XXXL further forward). And Sr. E, who was doing something at the sink next to me, looked over, saw that I'd got it right, and [b]beamed[/b] at me.

I know that it's just a small thing, and the professed (whom I wouldn't normally talk to) will always try to be encouraging to a visitor. Of course there was silence, but to me that gesture spoke volumes.

Edited by puellapaschalis

ladybuggirl84

So I'm back! I visited the Little Servant Sisters of the Immaculate Conception during my spring break this last week. They are located in Cherry Hill New Jersey. This was the first time I had flown on a plane by myself and also a blind leap to be spending a week at my first real experience with the Religious life.

I was picked up at the airport by two of the younger sisters. They didn't know what I looked like and were worried I wouldn't find them (it's not like they'd stand out being sisters and all) I thought the car ride (45min) would be akward and hard, but they made me feel right at home. They both had very distinct polish accents. (Later I found out that there is only one sister who is not originally from Poland!)

When we reached the convent I was amazing at the amount of land they owned. They had a mini forest around their convent! The grounds were beautiful and is home to at least 18 deer. They have gotten used to the movements of the sisters. Praying as the sun comes up and the birds wake up is such an amazing experience!

The building was recently renovated and is 3 stories high and forms a U with a garden in the middle. There are many rooms and I had almost a floor to myself. My room number was 50, so that is a lot of rooms! I was sleeping on the 3rd floor while the sisters (about 20 of them) slept in the other wing. My room was cozy and had an attatched bathroom with a shower-tub. Our heaters were a little old and made funny noises, but they did the job! When I walked into by room to unpack they had set out fruit, drinks, and prayer cards for me.

On the main floor is the chapel, offices, dining room, and kitchen. The dining room has long tables that seat all the sisters at once. This room also has a TV and a little stereo system. The offices look like offices and they have a copy room where they store their paper work. The chapel is AMAZING! It is a long narrow room with stain glass windows going down each wall. Front and center is a beautiful life sized Christ on a cross. At his feet is a circular tabernacle. Mary and Joseph statues are on either side of Jesus. Above the cross is a triangle (representing God the Father) and a beautiful statue of a dove decending on Christ. I am totally in love with this chapel!

I have never met more giving people in my life. From the moment I entered they were asking me what I needed and anticipating my needs. They fed me up very well, offering me a banana or string coagulated milk any time they saw me! (and I thought I'd starve)

I didn't know that English was the second language of every sister in the convent! It was weird at first, but I got used to their accents and even helped them with their English as the days went on. One sister took me under her wing. Sister Joanna took me for walks and let me follow along with her during prayer. She felt akward trying to tell me her life story in English, but I could understand it perfectly. I was amazed at how quickly I could understand what they were trying to say.

Every day they reached out to me more and more. One thing I was amazed at is that they never pressured me or asked me if this seemed like the place for me. As I grew to know them better they shared their life stories with me and offered me little bits of their lives.

The bell would chime at 5:15 and morning prayer was at 5:35. After this would be a half hour of silent meditation, followed by mass. After mass we would pray the Chaplet of Love (recieved by one of the Blessed Sisters) and then have breakfast. Sometimes this was silent with someone reading, other times it was full of talking and laughing. After breakfast the sisters would go off to their jobs. Some taught at the convent's preschool, went to nursing classes, worked in a nearby city at a nursing home, or taught in one of the few remaining catholic schools in the area. Lunch was served for about an hour and a half and sisters would come and go depending on their lunch breaks. Evening prayers were at 4:30 and after a little time with Jesus we would have dinner. The younger sisters would clean up after dinner while the other one would pray, nap, talk with eachother, or finish working or planning for the next day. Bed was around 9pm.

It was so beautiful! I do not have too much expeience with litergy of the hours, but the prayers are amazingly beautiful and hearing it spoken with a polish accent just adds so much. I sat with Sister Joanna who shared her books with me. There is so much history and suffering in their polish heritage that their prayers and petitions seem to be so much deeper. I found it funny that each sister has a special spot in the chapel. This is where they sit all the time.

How were the meals?

I've never eaten so well! I don't know how to cook myself, so any homecooked meal is amazing, but there were so many choices of rich flavor filled foods! I am a picky eater and I found plenty to each during every meal I had. They always have fresh fruit on the table. Eating is a very important thing and much laughter and energy comes from it.

The sisters, each in turn, spent time getting to know me. I loved that instead of putting me on the spot, they would share their life story and open up to me first. These people have been through so much, my problems seem so simple compared to consetration camps and shooting and communism. They are truly blessed and holy people. We also discussed what it was like for them to serve in the missions (Africa, Philippines, Siberia, Russia) One sister served in Africa for 15 years, but for medical reasons had to come home. She shared so much with me and before I left gave me two of her original pictures of her serving in Africa.

The younger sisters talked with me about what it was like for them to enter and some of the struggles they went through. They missed their families, they felt like they were the only young ones. they had to get used to a slower and simpler life, etc. It was greatly helpful in answering my questions about entering a convent.

I was lucky to have the chance to sight see. Mother Jadwiga and I went to visit the other convents, the nursing homes, and the amazing churches in the area. I got to see an uncruptible! Saint John Newman at St Peter's church in Phili! I've never seen one before!

When I arrived I didn't have much to do because the weekends are less structured. I arrived around noon on Saturday, and by Sunday afternoon I felt like it had been a whole week! I missed my family greatly and wanted to go home. It wasn't until Monday that I let myself relax and sit before Jesus. There is much time to pray during the day (less for those who teach or work in the nursing home, but I loved every minute of prayer I had. I finally was forced to sit down and catch up with God.

The Little Servant Sisters of the Immaculate Conception work as teachers in catholic schools and the convent preschool, nurses in nursing homes and retired priests' homes, students, and as missionaries in Zambia, South Africa, the Philippiens, Siberia, Russia, Poland, and the US.

I am totally not a skirt person. I actually could find my skirt to take so I took dress pants instead. I mostly wore jeans and a sweatshirt, but dressed up for Sunday mass. I brought normal personal stuff like shampoo and facewash, and a journal, book, bible, and rosary. I also brought my ipod to help me fall alseep at night. (I never needed it though)

I started to get sad when it got close to time to leave. During breakfast on the day I left they sang me a blessing in polish. It was so beautiful that it made me cry. I only had a few days to get to know the sisters, but I love them so much already. It was hard hugging and saying goodbye. One of the sisters who talked to me about her mission in Africa came up and pushed a little box into my hand. On the plane I looked at it and it was a beautiful blue rosary. They are only alowed to bring one rosary with them and she might have recieved another as a gift, but I have a funny feeling this was one of two rosaries she owned. This touched me more than anything else. All of these sisters gave me things, which I know where their own treasured possessions. Never will I forget this selfless act!

This was one of the best experiences of my life. I have been deeply changed by this experience and had discovered that the religious life is something I am called to. The deep polish heritage, which is so important to the Sisters, is something that is not so important to me. This would be the one thing that would draw me away from this order. I love the life and the people, but I am not polish enough (I think)

I will be going back to do a pilgrimage with them in August. I can't wait to see them again! I might even get to stay and see Sister Joanna take her final vows! Overall it was a wonderful experience. I learned and lived the life of a Sister for a week, I connected peacefully again with Jesus, I met saints on earth, I realized how attatched to my family I am, and that love comes in all shapes and sizes!

If you have the chance to visit or have any questions about the Little Servant Sisters of the Immaculate conception please send me a message!