An Old School Catholic Message Board

Scott Hahn

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

On our honeymoon I stopped at a Barnes And Noble in Harrisburg, VA looking for Rome Sweet Home. I found it and was very disappointed that the publisher decided to charge almost $20 for this slim trade mass paperback book.

Books of this size in paperback usually run for around 8.99 retail. But almost $20? I can't help but to think that is due possible because of greed. I can't imagine why else the book comes shrink wrapped so you can't see the contents and you would charge $20 for it if not for the bottom line.

Maybe someone could explain it to me? If it was a reasonable price I would have picked it up. But that is very discouraging.

Most of Scott Hahn's tapes and publications are put out by St. Joseph Communications. They're a little company out in California, but feature some really nice items.

If they were a big, profit-making company selling millions of books and tapes, I'm sure they'd be able to sell their items for less money. But, since they're little and their items are not high in demand, they must charge what they charge.

I agree, at times it's cost prohibitive.

Pax Christi <><

(And welcome back.)

well...

here at B&N, the book is on for $15.25....

Barns & Noble.com

here at borders, we have the same book for $10.36... about $5 less

Borders.com

i'm certain that the price you saw was due to the store...

try a small town Catholic store!! they usualy have all the books you want. and they'll ususaly order out for you if they don't have it!!

good luck!

Edited by IXpenguin21

Kilroy the Ninja

try half.com or ebay. Remember you were at Barnes and Noble. The place where you can sit around and read whatever books aren't shrink-wrapped while you sip your waaay overpriced cup of jo. I try not to buy anything there ever. Half.com.

Hmm, I useualy feel bad buying my books elsewhere than a Catholic store, but its true, catholic stores charge way to much for items when its cheaper in larger retail stores.. though its good to support the small stores, I can't afford to be handing away extra cash. I wouldn't pay that much for a book even if it was college, it better be beaver dam good.

Most I ever payed for a book was 28 dollars, called "Through the Eyes of Jesus" the trilogy edition by Alen Ames, book is WAY worth it!

WOW!!!

I just saw ADAM'S avatar and thought it was BROTHER ADAM'S!!!

I was about to jump up outta my seat!!!

hahaha...

Anyway...I hope your honeymoon went well even though the books were pricey! ;)

WHY WERE YOU READING ON YOUR HONEYMOON ANYWAY??? :P

Jk...much love, Brother...

Brother Adam

I wasn't reading on my honeymoon.... I was SHOPPING :P:)

What's sad is I like shopping more than my wife. B)

Anyways, it was about the principal of charging so much at retail- the retail price is the price that the publisher sets for the book. Nearly 20 for a slim paperback book is extreme. It doesn't matter what the content of a book is, the paper and the ink costs the same.

But its all good. I'm not really interested in reading Hahn anymore.

I haven't, I hear Scott Hahn has good stuff, but I can't read hard writeing much, like stuff with loads of big words, if its easy reading it be cool..

how is it?

littleflower+JMJ

I haven't, I hear Scott Hahn has good stuff, but I can't read hard writeing much, like stuff with loads of big words, if its easy reading it be cool..

how is it?

scott hahn doesn't write in hard words...

Brother Adam

Have you read Hahn?

No. Jay (Likos) tried to send me a book once in the mail but someone actually stole it out of the mail. :o

Bro Adam,

You should have asked, I would have mailed you Rome Sweet Home, its the book I loan most often to my Protestant friends who have questions. Another great book of his is "The Lambs High Feast" explaining the Catholic Theology of worship.

peace...