An Old School Catholic Message Board

So, My Neighbors House

Lilllabettt

Lilllabettt

Not my next door neighbors .. down the street. I heard a bunch of sirens and looked up from my computer and saw big black smoke billowing up in the window. Now I can smell it, its a terrible stink.

Should I go and see if the people are okay? I don't think so ... wanna let firemen/ambulance people do their jobs.

Say a prayer ...

Really thick black smoke.

icelandic_iceskater

Apparently there was a house fire in my town last night. The fire trucks were just heading out as we went to mass this morning. Everything's pretty much gone except for half a wall and the swing set in the backyard. :ohno:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1825112' date='Apr 5 2009, 01:33 PM']Not my next door neighbors .. down the street. I heard a bunch of sirens and looked up from my computer and saw big black smoke billowing up in the window. Now I can smell it, its a terrible stink.

Should I go and see if the people are okay? I don't think so ... wanna let firemen/ambulance people do their jobs.

Say a prayer ...

Really thick black smoke.[/quote]
If you know the people that might be a kindness, they are probably in shock.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1825125' date='Apr 5 2009, 02:08 PM']I'd say its a perfect time to buy some marshmallows.[/quote]
Somehow thats not very funny when people could be losing everything they have.

Don't go unless you do know the people involved. We never want to just be gawkers at someones pain. We also want to stay out of the firemen's way. Smoke some certain kinds of fires can also be toxic, so be careful. We had a fire downtown at a wood cabinet factory, and the entire neighborhood had to be evacuated for safety, including a friend of my husband's. Be prepared with an overnight bag just in case.

Lilllabettt

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1825185' date='Apr 5 2009, 03:12 PM']If you know the people that might be a kindness, they are probably in shock.[/quote]

Okay its out. It was actually a house around the corner and down another street from mine but for some reason the firemen were pumping water from the hydrants on our street. That is a problem around here, there is not a lot of water pressure.

I don't know them, so I think I will hold off for now.

elizabeth09

I call 911, if you know the address. You never know who will be calling in. Of it is a car, then give the plate number and the address it is at about.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1825125' date='Apr 5 2009, 02:08 PM']I'd say its a perfect time to buy some marshmallows.[/quote]

WhatwhatWHAT???? Is this funny to you???

Lilllabettt

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1825643' date='Apr 5 2009, 09:41 PM']WhatwhatWHAT???? Is this funny to you???[/quote]

Take the drama elsewhere, friend. Parties involved were chastised earlier, further piling on is not required.

My Dad did take pictures of the smoke. He is kind of strange that way.

Lilllabettt

update: turns out the house did burn all the way down. The guy who owned it was being foreclosed on, and he got mad, so he set it on fire.

Very sad.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1830285' date='Apr 9 2009, 06:52 PM']update: turns out the house did burn all the way down. The guy who owned it was being foreclosed on, and he got mad, so he set it on fire.

Very sad.[/quote]

There is a lot of that happening. I was reading an article in the St. Pete Times a few weeks ago about the damage being done to foreclosed properties. Some people are completely cleaning the places out, and some are just trashing the places. There was a story on the news today about a mansion, I think they said California, that was completely cleaned out a few days ago. They took windows, doors and all the fixtures and faucets and stuff, even the toilet seat. I guess that means they left the toilet. They are questioning the former owner thinking she may have done it.

If I had taken out a home improvement loan, and invested in expensive appliances, I guess it would be hard to leave them behind if I was being foreclosed on. Tearing up the walls and carpeting is bizarre. I don't get that. I guess it is anger and they only have the house to lash out against. I'm glad no one got hurt in the fire.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1830285' date='Apr 9 2009, 06:52 PM']update: turns out the house did burn all the way down. The guy who owned it was being foreclosed on, and he got mad, so he set it on fire.

Very sad.[/quote]
It is sad. One of my brothers-in-law started a business securing foreclosed homes, and he says quite often former owners do damage to houses on their way out. The woman who did photography for our wedding said the people who owned the condo behind her did something like that before they moved out. They turned on all the faucets before they left, then things gradually flooded for almost two weeks. By the time someone discovered what was happening it had caused massive water damage to the condo and several surrounding condoes, including our photographer's. Apparently lots of us are passive-aggressive toward banks.