An Old School Catholic Message Board

Coming Out Of The Vocation Closet

tinytherese

tinytherese

Has anyone else ever experienced this haven't come out of the closet about my vocation to everybody stage? I mean some people in my family know and a few of my friends do but it's not something that I go around telling everyone. Not necessarily ashamed of discerning but want to choose if someone should know or not and if so when. Though for me, sometimes it's just I won't tell if you won't ask sort of thing.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1832670' date='Apr 12 2009, 01:22 AM']Has anyone else ever experienced this haven't come out of the closet about my vocation to everybody stage? I mean some people in my family know and a few of my friends do but it's not something that I go around telling everyone. Not necessarily ashamed of discerning but want to choose if someone should know or not and if so when. Though for me, sometimes it's just I won't tell if you won't ask sort of thing.[/quote]

A vocation is a is a very intimate and personal thing - a precious gift. In the beginning it is like a tiny seed that needs to be protected and encouraged to grow.

There may come a time when you feel a desire to tell everyone about it (kind of like when you announce your wedding plans) but until then, hold it close to your heart and share it only with those who will have respect for this gift and help you to nurture it.

the lords sheep

Yup, and even when you're excited about things, it's hard to tell people sometimes. (Part of it for me is that I'm such a people pleaser and I'm having a hard time facing other's rejection. Part is that I'm still not accepted.)
Like nunsense said, protect and nourish your gift. When it's time for you to let everyone know, you'll know, and God will give you the grace to do so.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='nunsense' post='1832675' date='Apr 12 2009, 03:46 AM']A vocation is a is a very intimate and personal thing - a precious gift. In the beginning it is like a tiny seed that needs to be protected and encouraged to grow.

There may come a time when you feel a desire to tell everyone about it (kind of like when you announce your wedding plans) but until then, hold it close to your heart and share it only with those who will have respect for this gift and help you to nurture it.[/quote]

:yes:

Thomist-in-Training

Yes, it's definitely been gradual. I don't really like the title of the thread but anyways...

tinytherese

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1835769' date='Apr 14 2009, 11:01 PM']I don't really like the title of the thread but anyways...[/quote]

:lol_roll:

Thought it would grab everyone's attention and didn't know how to phrase it another way.

Thomist-in-Training

Speaking of which, I'm graduating next month and just got a slip of paper in school mailbox. "Please list any awards, title of senior thesis, future employment or study plans, good news etc. To be announced at senior awards ceremony." I guess I should put down "Nun at __" right? Just feel a little shy.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1837553' date='Apr 16 2009, 03:13 PM']Speaking of which, I'm graduating next month and just got a slip of paper in school mailbox. "Please list any awards, title of senior thesis, future employment or study plans, good news etc. To be announced at senior awards ceremony." I guess I should put down "Nun at __" right? Just feel a little shy.[/quote]

Well, if you are at a Catholic school, it should be fine - but if not --- well, be prepared for some negative feedback!

tinytherese

What I get annoyed by is when people who I have told about discerning tell other people about it without my consent.

tinytherese

I thought of something funny but weird to do. On facebook you can list your relationship status and to put "in a relationships with Jesus" would be interesting, especially to those who don't know that nuns and religious sisters become the brides of Christ. I still feel it bizarre though to call Jesus a "boyfriend." I prefer the term unofficial- fiance.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1844222' date='Apr 23 2009, 12:22 AM']I thought of something funny but weird to do. On facebook you can list your relationship status and to put "in a relationships with Jesus" would be interesting, especially to those who don't know that nuns and religious sisters become the brides of Christ. I still feel it bizarre though to call Jesus a "boyfriend." I prefer the term unofficial- fiance.[/quote]

Can't you also list your relationship as "it's complicated" ??

tinytherese

[quote name='nunsense' post='1844225' date='Apr 23 2009, 02:54 AM']Can't you also list your relationship as "it's complicated" ??[/quote]

Yes you can. Still sounds funny though. :lol_roll:

puellapaschalis

[quote name='nunsense' post='1844225' date='Apr 23 2009, 08:54 AM']Can't you also list your relationship as "it's complicated" ??[/quote]

That's what my facebook relationship status is :)

My sister would definitely be able to relate to what you're saying. Of course, in her case there were people guessing that she was discerning a vocation even if we didn't tell, even if we weren't around to hint.