An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sheffield Carmel - One Week To Go!

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

Well, phatmass phamily - update time. God has come through again (was there any doubt?).

First, I want to thank the silent benefactors from phatmass who sent contributions to me, anonymously or via email - which will be used for expenses in England. Thank you and God bless you. Please let me know of any special intentions you have before I leave as I want to remember you in my prayers.

As for my plane ticket to Sheffield Carmel - this has been paid for by a Chaldean family who have "adopted" me into their hearts. I met the father of this family on a plane trip only a few months ago and we prayed the rosary together on the plane. He asked me to stay in touch so I emailed him and asked if he knew of any jobs in his area, as I was looking for work to get my fare together. He invited me to their house and said that his family wanted to take care of the plane ticket! I visited them recently and we spent time together praying the Rosary and getting to know each other.

In this very holy family there are two young daughters, a 10 year old and a 2 year old. The 10 year old told me that she is open to receiving her "calling" from God to the religious life, whatever He wants! The 2 year old saw the picture of Jesus on my Rosary (the Sacred Heart) and she cried out "Isha!" and kissed Him! (Their native language is Aramaic and Isha means Jesus.) I felt so blessed to meet and get to know these people. Even their extended family (in-laws) contributed to the total - people who have never met me - so I know that they have done this because of their love of God and the special devotion they have for the Blessed Virgin. If I ever needed a sign that this is God's will for me, I have had it beyond imagining. Thanks be to God.

I leave Friday morning very early and fly to Vancouver, where I change planes for Manchester. Then I catch a bus to Sheffield, and a taxi to the convent. I will spend five days in the extern flat and only pray the Office and have meals with the sisters. After that time, I can ask to come inside - they have already voted to allow me to enter as a postulant, if I feel this is God's will for me.

I will probably not get down to visit Wolverhampton or Oulton now since I don't have any spare money and travel inside England is very expensive. But that's ok. I will try to get to the public library in Sheffield before I enter, just to post one last time. After that, I will be allowed to write to family once a month so I might get my sister-in-law to post anything of significance occasionally (like my clothing!) on phatmass.

So, if anyone has special prayer intentions they want - please let me know before Friday. And do please keep me in your prayers again. I feel different this time - and my sister-in-law says that this time seems different to her as well. So, please God, let it be for life now. But I DO need all your prayers, and you can all be assured of mine. God bless. :pray:

InHisLove726

Annie! I'm so excited for you! What an amazing step in your vocation journey, and to have people adopt you and help you out! I really believe that God is speaking to you, and I'm praying that Sheffield is IT for you! You have really kept yourself open to God's will, and what an amazing journey it's been. I will miss your postings on here very much. You have given me so much courage and love. I'm proud to call you my Carmelite sister in Christ! May God bless you and give you peace.

The only thing that I ask that you pray for is that I am granted permission to enter the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Wauwatosa, WI (Milwaukee). Since I am leaving in 3 weeks (YAY!) to work with them, I've really been praying about this, and I feel that it's going to happen, but the more prayers, the better. :D

God bless you, Annie! You are in my prayers!

Wow, I ought to keep up with all of the wonderful stories here more often.

Nunsense, may God be with you. And may the grace and peace of Jesus Christ be with you all the days of your life.

AccountDeleted

Thank you everyone for all your kind comments. I will answer them all together here to avoid the "flood control" on the forum! :rolleyes:

CatherineM - Fish and chips - yumm, you can be sure I will enjoy one last meal of these (with a Diet Coke) before I enter!

DiscerningSoul - Yes, still a lot to do and packing etc. I don't have a lot to take with me, but it is always fiddly getting ready for a trip.

In His Love726 - you sound like you are well on your way to entering your community - but rest assured you are in my prayers as well!

kafka - Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Also, if anyone wants to write, feel free to do so, remembering that I can only write to non-relatives twice a year! The contact details are

Sister Michael Maria of God
Carmelite Monastery
Kirk Edge, High Bradfield
Sheffield S66LJ
England UK

Can you tell that I have every intention of entering? (God willing)

Bless you all.

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='nunsense' post='1848495' date='Apr 26 2009, 01:08 AM']Can you tell that I have every intention of entering? (God willing)[/quote]

Even thou I am going on a discernment retreat, I pray if it's God's will to enter also.

Many prayers. :saint:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1848545' date='Apr 25 2009, 10:32 PM']Even thou I am going on a discernment retreat, I pray if it's God's will to enter also.

Many prayers. :saint:[/quote]

:pray: :pray: :pray: prayers for you!

FiereMargriet

Thank you for responding to God's call so courageously, and thank you for the advice and kind posts you have given us here. :) The family who donated your airplane ticket sounds so wonderful, I will keep them in my prayers!

The contemplative life is a beautiful one, and I know that you will help our troubled world so much with your prayers! I hope we can hear about your clothing and other milestones. Please pray that I may make the right decision about college (which I have to do by Friday!) and that I will come to know and accept Our Lord's will for my life, that I may be pure of heart and not fall into sin.

I will certainly keep you in my prayers! May God Bless and Mary keep you! :sign:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FiereMargriet' post='1848805' date='Apr 26 2009, 10:42 AM']Thank you for responding to God's call so courageously, and thank you for the advice and kind posts you have given us here. :) The family who donated your airplane ticket sounds so wonderful, I will keep them in my prayers!

The contemplative life is a beautiful one, and I know that you will help our troubled world so much with your prayers! I hope we can hear about your clothing and other milestones. Please pray that I may make the right decision about college (which I have to do by Friday!) and that I will come to know and accept Our Lord's will for my life, that I may be pure of heart and not fall into sin.

I will certainly keep you in my prayers! May God Bless and Mary keep you! :sign:[/quote]

Ah - prayers for Friday's decision! :pray: And thank you for the kind words.

By this time next week your decision will have been made. And you mustn't start second guessing yourself then - just enjoy whatever choice you have made!

shadowedseraph

You'll be in my prayers :) I hope that all goes well for you here in England please pray for me as i discern my vocation.

:bigpray:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='shadowedseraph' post='1848991' date='Apr 26 2009, 02:20 PM']You'll be in my prayers :) I hope that all goes well for you here in England please pray for me as i discern my vocation.

:bigpray:[/quote]

Yes, of course, I will pray for your discernment. Phatmass will be a wonderful help for you - I have felt such love and support here over the past two years. I will keep you and all phatmassers in my prayers. :pray:

she_who_is_not

I am so happy for you!!!
Please pray for me as I discern God's will. My prayers will be with you!!!
God bless
SWIN

AbsconditaInDeo

Congratulations nunsense!

May God be with you on your journey! What a blessing to have been adopted by a Chaldean family! I have Chaldean friends and they're generous people. How amazing is it for God to send people our way to help us carry out His will in our lives.

:sign: You're in my prayers and I hope all goes well :)

Please also keep me in your prayers as I discern what God's will for me in my life and that all may go according to His plan and not my own.

God bless you and may Our Lady protect you on your journey!

Edited by AbsconditaInDeo

puellapaschalis

Take along my vocation and the removal of obstacles in its way (including my pesky ego!) as an intention with you, please :)