An Old School Catholic Message Board

Unusual Personal Hygiene Practices

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

Has anyone ever heard anything unusual about religious orders practicing personal hygiene? I heard one order doesn't use razors (though, for privacy's sake, I won't reveal who) for underarm hair or leg hair. I'm just naturally curious about these things. You don't have to reveal the order. In fact, I would prefer that you didn't, in case someone gets nervous and decides the order isn't right for them based on unusual practices. :)

TotusTuusMaria

yes, i've heard of some practices that would be considered odd by our standards being practiced in some religious communities.

:mellow:

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1851837' date='Apr 28 2009, 11:37 PM']Has anyone ever heard anything unusual about religious orders practicing personal hygiene? I heard one order doesn't use razors (though, for privacy's sake, I won't reveal who) for underarm hair or leg hair. I'm just naturally curious about these things. You don't have to reveal the order. In fact, I would prefer that you didn't, in case someone gets nervous and decides the order isn't right for them based on unusual practices. :)[/quote]

Many communities don't shave, have scheduled showers (sometimes once a week), change the bed sheets only once a month, mirrors are generally unavailable, etc. It's not really about penance or 'hygiene', I would say, but more about balance. There is less emphasis on how one looks and also less 'giving in' to the senses. Who cares if you don't shave? No one's looking. As long as you're clean and healthy...

Edited by walburga

InHisLove726

[quote name='walburga' post='1851860' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:47 AM']Many communities don't shave, have scheduled showers (sometimes once a week), change the bed sheets only once a month, mirrors are generally unavailable, etc. It's not really about penance or 'hygiene', I would say, but more about balance. There is less emphasis on how one looks and also less 'giving in' to the senses. Who cares if you don't shave? No one's looking. As long as you're clean and healthy...[/quote]

I agree. :) I don't think nuns should focus on appearances. Vanity is not a good thing for someone to focus on in any walk of life, much less someone dedicating themselves to Jesus. Good answer, walburga.

I know of an order who would share all supplies in common ... shampoo, soap, conditioner (postulants only), deodorant (spray), foot powder, toothpaste (not of course razor, toothbrush). This rule changed if the sister was alergic to something (then she was allowed to have her own whatever).

Also I know of an order that limits showers to 10 minutes ... includes time for getting dressed in the bathroom. It is doable ... barely. Short hair helps.

InHisLove726

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1851984' date='Apr 29 2009, 01:44 AM']Can't use tampons.[/quote]

That I'm not so worried about...

:lol_roll:

FiereMargriet

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1851984' date='Apr 29 2009, 01:44 AM']Can't use tampons.[/quote]

I think that's kind of strange. Is there a reason why? Even if tampons are more expensive than other products (I don't really know if they are), they're necessary for some women.

Edited by FiereMargriet

[quote name='FiereMargriet' post='1852136' date='Apr 29 2009, 09:35 AM']I think that's kind of strange. Is there a reason why? Even if tampons are more expensive than other products (I don't really know if they are), they're necessary for some women.[/quote]

I don't know... women have been around a lot longer than tampons... they seemed to find a way to get along before...

AbsconditaInDeo

I know of a community that didn't allow tampons, or at least frowned upon the use of tampons, but then when younger sisters joined they eventually allowed it because it because they found that most women use them nowadays.

FiereMargriet

[quote name='walburga' post='1852137' date='Apr 29 2009, 10:43 AM']I don't know... women have been around a lot longer than tampons... they seemed to find a way to get along before...[/quote]

It's personal, of course, and some women may find not being able to use tampons not problematic, or a helpful thing to offer up. But because the necessity varies from woman to woman, I see no reason why such a helpful and hardly superfluous invention should be denied. I'm trying to put this delicately, but it seems like it would do more harm than good for a woman who really "needs" it.

As to the historical perspective, I'm under the impression, from reading historical novels, that women in the Dark Ages or what have you used as many cloth bandages as they needed, which personally sounds a lot better to me than modern sanitary napkins, which I find either too thin and ineffective or too thick and a hindrance.

I hope I don't come across as too snippy, I know you are entering soon and I have the highest respect for you and for the fact that you are answering Our Lord's call! I just, personally, don't feel comfortable with the prospect. Any suggestions for a tactful way to ask a community this? (I guess just asking what hygienic practices/policies they have!)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='FiereMargriet' post='1852258' date='Apr 29 2009, 07:06 PM']Any suggestions for a tactful way to ask a community this? (I guess just asking what hygienic practices/policies they have!)[/quote]

In a few weeks' I'm going for my long visit "inside". I suspect it'll go something like this (because I'm due whilst I'm there):

"Mother, do we use pads or tampons here? And where can I find them?"

Even though I'll probably bring my own things for this visit.

It's funny - my own mother and I never, ever had frank discussions about "sanitary matters" (unless you count being told to wash your hands a dozen times a day), and yet I don't have much of a problem just coming out and asking.

Mind you, at the moment I'm just [i]longing[/i] to enter this community, and I figure that if I'm going to live there - it's enclosed - for the rest of my days, I'd better get clued up on where those and other necessaries are kept.

the lords sheep

I didn't ask my community this... I don't know that I really care... I've lived in Africa and the backwoods of Argentina, I think I'll survive whatever hygiene practices the convent can throw at me.

Although, in a slightly more humorous note, I don't think my Sisters care. One of the Mothers said "We are preaching the Word of God to the world! And the word of God has to sound good, it has to appeal to people, it has to look good- so we can't look terribly miserable, and it has to SMELL good- because otherwise they won't want to hear the Word of God from you if they can't sit next to you!! :lol:

ps- I love calling them MY sisters :love:

InHisLove726

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1852330' date='Apr 29 2009, 04:09 PM']I didn't ask my community this... I don't know that I really care... I've lived in Africa and the backwoods of Argentina, I think I'll survive whatever hygiene practices the convent can throw at me.

Although, in a slightly more humorous note, I don't think my Sisters care. One of the Mothers said "We are preaching the Word of God to the world! And the word of God has to sound good, it has to appeal to people, it has to look good- so we can't look terribly miserable, and it has to SMELL good- because otherwise they won't want to hear the Word of God from you if they can't sit next to you!! :lol:

ps- I love calling them MY sisters :love:[/quote]

:lol_pound:

I nearly died laughing from reading what you wrote! LOL! That's too cute!!!

I'm sorry, ladies, but this is disgusting and not chaste. Women are not the only people on this board. If you all want to discuss your intimate bodily functions, please for the sake of modesty, do it privately.

I ask Saint Padre Pio to guard my eyes.

Beatus