An Old School Catholic Message Board

Unusual Personal Hygiene Practices

InHisLove726

johnnydigit

back on topic. there are communities that..

..take 1 or 3 minute showers.

..don't take showers. they take a sort of a "bird-bath" in a bucket.

..cover the mirrors, leaving only enough room at the top to shave your face. the covered spaces have quotes from Scripture and other writings.

all in all, very minor issues. some charisms require the disciple to be more in the world and more up to date with these things, while others are more austere and find many things unnecessary. they'll know what's best for you.

"you wear your clothes more than once before washing?" :lol_roll:

johnnydigit

[quote name='nunsense' post='1852901' date='Apr 29 2009, 10:48 PM']We bathed once a week (whether we needed it or not :rolleyes: )[/quote]

woah, i've been wondering this in the back of my mind. i would have thought it would be on the border of every 3 days or something, but a week.. i don't think i've ever done a week in my life! that will really take some adjustment, but i'm sure they know what works best.

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='TradMom' post='1852511' date='Apr 29 2009, 05:53 PM']There is nothing about us that is not absolutely miraculous!

I hope none of us feel ashamed of our bodies or our natural functions.[/quote]

This is so true, and I'm very glad you said it. It's easy to take for granted, or even complain about some of the things that happen naturally with our bodies. Even the functions that may seem 'disgusting' to some are pretty amazing, because of the purpose they serve.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1852916' date='Apr 30 2009, 07:06 AM']woah, i've been wondering this in the back of my mind. i would have thought it would be on the border of every 3 days or something, but a week.. i don't think i've ever done a week in my life! that will really take some adjustment, but i'm sure they know what works best.[/quote]

Do you know what an APC is? No, it’s not an armoured personnel carrier. An APC is Australian slang for a very quick shower (arm pits and crotch).
“Come on, mate, we’re going to the pub.”
“ Just give me five minutes to have an APC”.

So the concept of a quick wash off is not unique to Carmel :rolleyes: I used to take a bucket of hot water to our cell every evening after Compline, and give myself a really good wash all over using the water, our washbowl and a washcloth. Then I would stick my feet in the bowl and wash my feet - and boy did that feel good! Cleanliness is possible, even without running water!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='nunsense' post='1852929' date='Apr 30 2009, 07:19 AM']I used to take a bucket of hot water to our cell every evening after Compline....[/quote]

:offtopic:

So cool to note that another place also uses the [i]plural[/i] form of the first person possessive :clap: Did it take you long to get used to it? I'm (probably needlessly as when you're the newbie slip-ups are expected) a bit worried I'll never remember things like that properly!

InHisLove726

[quote name='cmariadiaz' post='1852788' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:42 PM']Actually you'd be surprized how you can survive *without* health insurance. Some communities depend on benefactors who provide free services; other communities have insurance, other simply both.

I was with one community which depended on benefactors, and one community who didn't have insurance (but was in a foreign country, so it was possible to get free basic care, especially in a habit).[/quote]

LOL, you're telling it to someone (me) who has been without insurance for over 2 years. I still go to the doctor when necessary for antibiotics or other stuff, but I just pay out of pocket. :) That's why I am thankful for places like Solantic or Urgent Care because they have a set price. :D

My community has health insurance (thank goodness), and I've been told that I have to get medical, dental, and eye exams before I enter. :wacko:

This topic has reminded me of my Uncle Jimmy. He entered a monastery in 1928. They asked him to leave because he wouldn't take showers.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Beatus' post='1852345' date='Apr 29 2009, 03:29 PM']I'm sorry, ladies, but this is disgusting and not chaste. Women are not the only people on this board. If you all want to discuss your intimate bodily functions, please for the sake of modesty, do it privately.

I ask Saint Padre Pio to guard my eyes.

Beatus[/quote]
Perhaps a thread titled "Unusual Personal Hygiene Practices" is one that you should avoid.

I cannot imagine anyone actually being led into an occasion of sin, particularly a sin against chastity, by a discussion of menses and monthlies. If anything I should think the subject would lead a fellow far, far away from the sin of chastity and have him saying, "thank you, thank you, Lord, that I am a man and need not deal with that stuff! And bless all women for having to!"

the lords sheep

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1853189' date='Apr 30 2009, 07:02 PM']I cannot imagine anyone actually being led into an occasion of sin, particularly a sin against chastity, by a discussion of menses and monthlies. If anything I should think the subject would lead a fellow far, far away from the sin of chastity and have him saying, "thank you, thank you, Lord, that I am a man and need not deal with that stuff! And bless all women for having to!"[/quote]
:lol_roll: :lol_roll: :lol_roll:

So true!

DevotedtoHim

I don't really think anything here could honestly be regarded as going against the virtue of chastity, however, I'm not sure that the majority of us would discuss these things as graphically as is found here in mixed company. What sort of products a woman uses during her time of the month is pretty personal, and I don't really feel comfortable discussing that in front of men/guys/boys. On my last visit to a cloistered monastery, I did ask personal questions to the novice mistress because these were things that I wanted to know just like you all do. I just asked her if I could expect that my personal care would be similar to what I have grown used to as an individual or were there specific customs I needed to prepare myself for? She laughed and took me to a closet where all the supplies are kept for the nuns. It looked like a mini pharmacy and they just leave up to the sisters to take what they need when they need it. There were a lot of things in there: aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, Midol, Soaps (scented and unscented - I think a lot were gifts), bath packets of salts (for sore muscles), Vicks Vapor rub, bandaids, neosporin, and personal items. They were neatly organized, medical stuff on one shelf, etc., obviously I am not listing everything there. There was also a sheet for the Extern who does the shopping. If you are the last to use something, you are supposed to write it down. While I wouldn't go as far as Beatus did in saying it is disgusting, I do think it is not very sensitive to use the forum to say things we wouldn't say in normal life. I seriously doubt any of us would talk about our preferences in front of men regarding personal care. Just my experience.
Katherine

homeschoolmom

True. However I doubt that most men/boys would, when stumbling upon a group of women discussing "girly" things (in real life), tell them they were disgusting. Most would politely excuse themselves and move on. Just because all of the threads are "open" to all does not mean that everyone must read and/or comment on them all.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1853369' date='Apr 30 2009, 03:57 PM']True. However I doubt that most men/boys would, when stumbling upon a group of women discussing "girly" things (in real life), tell them they were disgusting. Most would politely excuse themselves and move on. Just because all of the threads are "open" to all does not mean that everyone must read and/or comment on them all.[/quote]
Guarenteed the word tampon will make men run out of the room. :topsy:

If I don't shower enough I get itchy skin and eczema.

If I shower too often, I get itchy skin and eczema.

I hope I'd be able to shower how often I want if I'd be in an order.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1853379' date='Apr 30 2009, 02:12 PM']Guarenteed the word tampon will make men run out of the room. :topsy:[/quote]

I belong to an online weight loss support group, and guys last about a week before they get run off by us girls talking about being bloated, etc.