An Old School Catholic Message Board

Unusual Personal Hygiene Practices

InHisLove726

FiereMargriet

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' post='1853366' date='Apr 30 2009, 03:49 PM']I don't really think anything here could honestly be regarded as going against the virtue of chastity, however, I'm not sure that the majority of us would discuss these things as graphically as is found here in mixed company. What sort of products a woman uses during her time of the month is pretty personal, and I don't really feel comfortable discussing that in front of men/guys/boys. On my last visit to a cloistered monastery, I did ask personal questions to the novice mistress because these were things that I wanted to know just like you all do. I just asked her if I could expect that my personal care would be similar to what I have grown used to as an individual or were there specific customs I needed to prepare myself for? She laughed and took me to a closet where all the supplies are kept for the nuns. It looked like a mini pharmacy and they just leave up to the sisters to take what they need when they need it. There were a lot of things in there: aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, Midol, Soaps (scented and unscented - I think a lot were gifts), bath packets of salts (for sore muscles), Vicks Vapor rub, bandaids, neosporin, and personal items. They were neatly organized, medical stuff on one shelf, etc., obviously I am not listing everything there. There was also a sheet for the Extern who does the shopping. If you are the last to use something, you are supposed to write it down. While I wouldn't go as far as Beatus did in saying it is disgusting, I do think it is not very sensitive to use the forum to say things we wouldn't say in normal life. I seriously doubt any of us would talk about our preferences in front of men regarding personal care. Just my experience.
Katherine[/quote]

Believe me, in general I am VERY concerned with purity and almost too cautious in what I say/think/do/hear. Last night I really really wanted to watch a TV show I love but there are a couple of things in it that send me on the path to impure thoughts so the entire time I painted my nails and said the Rosary and barely looked at the screen. As I type this, my sister and mom are in the other room watching another excellent TV show which has, in my opinion, a little too much inappropriate subtext.

But I was told on the Q&A board that we are not culpable for what others imagine. We're talking about something natural (if uncomfortable) which is related to quotidian life in religious communities. Would I purposely bring up the subject in the middle of a group of men? Of course not. But like I said, I'm SO glad someone brought it up here. I had never thought about it before and it is somewhat important to me--not exactly what communities are doing, but the philosophy behind it. This is different than purposely bringing up the subject to be inappropriate, I feel. As someone else said, many men on this particular phorum (VS) are discerning the priesthood and will have to confront related subjects to advise their flock. We're not discussing it to tempt anyone to sin and I certainly don't think we're using graphic terms.

That said, I understand your hesitancy and I also would not be comfortable discussing it in front of men in general. However, I feel this phorum is a different case and it should be okay to discuss it here, with the pure intention of preparing for religious life, if we like.

DiscerningSoul

I never thought just posting that a community does'nt use tampons, would cause such a stir!

personally, I only use them for the shower or swimming.

homeschoolmom

I once posted (on another phorum) a question about whether people should wear shoes inside the house and/or ask their guests to remove them. You would not have believed the uproar THAT caused. :mellow:

Sojourner

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1853747' date='Apr 30 2009, 06:29 PM']I once posted (on another phorum) a question about whether people should wear shoes inside the house and/or ask their guests to remove them. You would not have believed the uproar THAT caused. :mellow:[/quote]
I would like my house to be a shoeless house. That's not really possible at the moment though.

Mary-Kathryn

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1852410' date='Apr 29 2009, 05:56 PM']I think others have replied to you much better than I could ever have. There is only one thing I'd like to add: menstruation is [b]not[/b] disgusting.[/quote]

You are so very right. It shows that the body is functioning normally. And may I add, as one who is unable to have more children, what I wouldn't have given to have had that "problem" every month. So perhaps instead of looking at it as something vile, it should be looked upon as a gift.

Also, as someone pointed out, women do converse with their priests on many issues, even delicate issues. So men need to be educated and able to deal with all things that God has created. And yes, God created the female human body to work wonderfully!

StColette

[quote name='Beatus' post='1852345' date='Apr 29 2009, 03:29 PM']I'm sorry, ladies, but this is disgusting and not chaste. Women are not the only people on this board. If you all want to discuss your intimate bodily functions, please for the sake of modesty, do it privately.

I ask Saint Padre Pio to guard my eyes.

Beatus[/quote]

Beatus,

If you are a guy and called to the priesthood you should prepare yourself. You are going to have to talk with many married couples or engaged couples about all sorts of topics regarding bodily functions. If you are are called to marriage you should prepare yourself as well. NFP classes during PreCana can be a real eye opener. Btw, bodily functions whether male or female are not disgusting. God made our bodies work that way and what God creates is always beautiful.

DameAgnes

Beata, if I could give you a word of advice - if you're going to become a priest - try cultivating a sense of humor. The light touch is always more attractive (and therefore effective) than the hammer.

Maria_Faustina

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1851837' date='Apr 28 2009, 11:37 PM']Has anyone ever heard anything unusual about religious orders practicing personal hygiene? I heard one order doesn't use razors (though, for privacy's sake, I won't reveal who) for underarm hair or leg hair. I'm just naturally curious about these things. You don't have to reveal the order. In fact, I would prefer that you didn't, in case someone gets nervous and decides the order isn't right for them based on unusual practices. :)[/quote]

I hope no one minds if I go back to the original post. :)

It's funny you would mention it. The order I am called to/community I am, God willing, entering soon! has "unusual" practices. I actually had some of these questions prepared before I went to talk to the Novice Mistress, and before I said any of them, she goes, "Showers, right? We take one twice a week during the winter, but every day during the summer [their habits are wool, so... Not to give the order away]. Our hair is only about this long [1" or so!]. You'd be surprised how much quicker it is to shower!" I can imagine! And am really glad! As much as I love my hair, it's so thick it takes half my shower to wash, and...you know how hair is. Can you imagine never having to brush it out, or put it up, or tuck it behind your ear again? I'll have withdrawal symptoms for a while, I know, but I think I'll be okay. :)
As far as shaving, they don't do their legs--grace of a full-length habit! I'm also extremely glad about that. It really is a vanity. Of course I do now, because I wear skirts shorter than ankle-length, and girls are required to be "clean-shaven" for the sake of looking put together and appropriate in today's society. But in a long habit, in a non-active order, it would be almost wrong to spend time on that--why, for your own sake of that smooth-leg feel? No.

And really...how many saints have gone before us without bathing daily, or even every other day (for us college students..), or shaving whatever parts of their body, or using conditioner or exfoliating body wash or etc., etc.? And they turned out fine!

CatherineM

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1853811' date='Apr 30 2009, 09:03 PM']I would like my house to be a shoeless house. That's not really possible at the moment though.[/quote]

All houses here are shoeless. Even gym locker rooms and dorms. We went into a dorm where there were shoe racks by the door, and I refused to leave my shoes. You take off your shoes in Florida, and someone will steal them. It's creepy.

FiereMargriet

[quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1855018' date='May 2 2009, 12:51 AM']It's funny you would mention it. The order I am called to/community I am, God willing, entering soon! has "unusual" practices. I actually had some of these questions prepared before I went to talk to the Novice Mistress, and before I said any of them, she goes, "Showers, right? We take one twice a week during the winter, but every day during the summer [their habits are wool, so... Not to give the order away]. Our hair is only about this long [1" or so!]. You'd be surprised how much quicker it is to shower!" I can imagine! And am really glad! As much as I love my hair, it's so thick it takes half my shower to wash, and...you know how hair is. Can you imagine never having to brush it out, or put it up, or tuck it behind your ear again? I'll have withdrawal symptoms for a while, I know, but I think I'll be okay. :)[/quote]

Yeah, I've got no problem with the short hair. Does seem like it would take a much faster time to clean and I'm guessing long hair would be uncomfortable under a veil. And I think their showering plan sounds practical.

Congratulations on your forthcoming entrance!

VeniteAdoremus

My community also has a supply closet with hygiene products, and [i]thank Heaven[/i] the Prioress has the same allergy issues as I do (I turn into a scratching red-polkadotted monster on casual deodorant contact ;) ) so I'm all set.

Most sisters have two habits (three if they recently made Final Profession, because you get a new one for that) and they wear it for a week before washing.

As a side note, I have never heard about shaving underarms from other Europeans. Seems to be an American thing :) I seriously doubt the sisters shave their legs. There wouldn't be much reason to with a floor-length habit.

mariaassunta

Just to add to this! From my experience in a religious commnity I can say that if a person needs something which is nessacary she will never be refused it. For Jesus said He will provide for us, but if its just because we want a brand or something, then Jesus can also let us reiceve no as an answer in order, to learn what our Master lived witht the Holy Family of Nazareth, which is Poverty and Obedience. The same with pratices, it is good to be clean, especially as religious, but in regards to a community, if you choose to enter a community, you also choose to pratice and live the way of life which you wish to embrace as a Spouse of Jesus. So these should be no problem. But nowadays many orders do have good programs for those in formation and encourage them to pratice good hygience pratices. So dont worry about these little things, Jesus said He will give us what we need, look at the birds they are provided for. And as mentioned before it is good to direct these questions towards the superior or novice mistress to ease your concerns and no question is stupid. Trust me i have asked many! God Bless you all in His Love.!! :clap:

tinytherese

[quote name='angelofmary' post='1856776' date='May 3 2009, 08:21 PM']Just to add to this! From my experience in a religious commnity I can say that if a person needs something which is nessacary she will never be refused it. For Jesus said He will provide for us, but if its just because we want a brand or something, then Jesus can also let us reiceve no as an answer in order, to learn what our Master lived witht the Holy Family of Nazareth, which is Poverty and Obedience. The same with pratices, it is good to be clean, especially as religious, but in regards to a community, if you choose to enter a community, you also choose to pratice and live the way of life which you wish to embrace as a Spouse of Jesus. So these should be no problem. But nowadays many orders do have good programs for those in formation and encourage them to pratice good hygience pratices. So dont worry about these little things, Jesus said He will give us what we need, look at the birds they are provided for. And as mentioned before it is good to direct these questions towards the superior or novice mistress to ease your concerns and no question is stupid. Trust me i have asked many! God Bless you all in His Love.!! :clap:[/quote]

:bigclap:

I don't necessarily consider any of these things to be "unusual practices" but rather, austerities and penances offered up to God in reparation for sin. I do know that not everyone is able to undertake some of these things though, so that is why it is so wonderful that there are so many different religious communities to choose from!
[/quote]

Are these austerities, or are they traditions? I think an awful lot of people used to live this way back before running water and water heaters were standard, before women felt compelled to shave their legs, (and pardon me) before tampons were marketed.

I just assumed that what are being termed "unusual personal hygiene practices" were the very usual practices back when these orders got up & running. So not everyone supports every tradition in the Church? Aggiornamento has a place, at least in personal hygiene?

TotusTuusMaria

They probably are practices handed down, but now they can rightly be considered austerities.

When Mother Teresa first began her congregation she chose some of these things, saying the Missionaries of Charity "would be more [i]austere[/i] then even the Carmelites." She too, even though starting the congregation in the 40s, considered the washing bucket and limited habits austerities.

Traditions... austerities... doesn't matter. I know, for me, it would be a penance.

All for Jesus. :love: