An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Want To Be A Carmelite?

carmelite15

InHisLove726

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1886956' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:31 AM'][size=3]I'm presently discering my vocation and I have to admit to being very interested in the Carmelites. There is a carmelite monastery not far from me (only a bus ride away) and I am hoping to pay them a visit within the next month :)[/size][/quote]

Which one is it? I have a friend who entered in the Quidenham monastery out in Norfolk, and she'll be made a novice this July! :) She entered in January, and they are taking a vote on whether or not she will be allowed to stay.

I have another friend in England who is discerning with the same order and she is doing a 3 week live-in as we speak. :D

InHisLove726

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1886952' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:22 AM']It must be almost time for Fieke to be clothed...[/quote]

I think she's going to be clothed on July 2nd! That's their normal day of transition from one stage of formation to another. :D

I believe Eunice will also be clothed the same time, unless their postulancy is longer in the Netherlands than the US.

Edited by InHisLove726

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1886963' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:41 AM']I think she's going to be clothed on July 2nd! That's their normal day of transition from one stage of formation to another. :D

I believe Eunice will also be clothed the same time, unless their postulancy is longer in the Netherlands than the US.[/quote]

Yes, i think Fieke will be clothed on 2 july and Eunice maybe too because she stays now there for 7 months.

The long time for postulancy in NL, dutch girls don't know all things about catholism. So, they will need that for the next station in formation. (A sister told me that)

VeniteAdoremus

Oh, that's great!

I will have to consider getting over there with ye olde digital camera. :)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Muus' post='1886971' date='Jun 9 2009, 09:31 AM']The long time for postulancy in NL, dutch girls don't know all things about catholism. So, they will need that for the next station in formation. (A sister told me that)[/quote]

I can well believe it. With the candidacy it all adds up, but it's definitely needed.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1886978' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:07 AM']Oh, that's great!

I will have to consider getting over there with ye olde digital camera. :)[/quote]

Take some for me ;)

WisdomSeeker

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1886961' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:40 AM']Which one is it? I have a friend who entered in the Quidenham monastery out in Norfolk, and she'll be made a novice this July! :) She entered in January, and they are taking a vote on whether or not she will be allowed to stay.

I have another friend in England who is discerning with the same order and she is doing a 3 week live-in as we speak. :D[/quote]

It is the Ware Carmel at Ware Park, Ware, Herts. I am in contact via email at the moment with one of the sisters there and I am in the process of finding out about the buses to get there :)

That's one of those orders I haven't looked into yet, because they're not nearby( they live very far north in Norway. They're also very strict, with fencing ).
But I'm definitely interested.;)

WisdomSeeker

[quote name='Hilde' post='1887026' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:15 PM']That's one of those orders I haven't looked into yet, because they're not nearby( they live very far north in Norway. They're also very strict, with fencing ).
But I'm definitely interested.;)[/quote]

I've seen a picture of the carmel and it is set in lovely countryside. According to the info that I was sent the community is only 14 strong, with 2 of the 14 in formation.

One more is professed now. That makes them 13 with eternal vows and a novice.
I wasn't there when it happened, but I have someone I know in Oslo who is having her eternal vows this fall if I remember right. So that will be my first time witnessing that.

Are all carmelites so supercontemplative? I have the feeling something apostolic, or a combination is the thing for me. But I haven't really tried it out yet.

WisdomSeeker

[quote name='Hilde' post='1887067' date='Jun 9 2009, 04:51 PM']One more is professed now. That makes them 13 with eternal vows and a novice.
I wasn't there when it happened, but I have someone I know in Oslo who is having her eternal vows this fall if I remember right. So that will be my first time witnessing that.

Are all carmelites so supercontemplative? I have the feeling something apostolic, or a combination is the thing for me. But I haven't really tried it out yet.[/quote]

I think it all depends on wether they are enclosed or semi-cloisted/active. My knowledge is rather limited on this aspect, I'm still finding all of this out.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Hilde' post='1887067' date='Jun 9 2009, 05:51 PM']Are all carmelites so supercontemplative? I have the feeling something apostolic, or a combination is the thing for me. But I haven't really tried it out yet.[/quote]

Most Carmelites are supercontemplative :) There are some congregations of Carmelite sisters, like the [url="http://www.carmelitedcj.org/"]Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus[/url] and the [url="http://www.carmel-msh.org/"]Carmelites of the Sacred Heart[/url]. Don't know of any in Norway, though... (Actually, I only know one religious institution in Norway, and that's a monastery of Trappist nuns.)

TeresaBenedicta

Hm. I have a great love for the great Carmelite saints and for Carmelite spirituality, but I don't think that I'm called in that direction.

I've only been visiting the apostolic Dominicans, the st.Elisabeth sisters( Both have arranged vocation weekends:)) and a short visit to the contemplative Dominicans. So I've only started out actually meeting orders and sisters.

For some reason I don't think being so enclosed as the carmelites is for me, but I might be wrong.

WisdomSeeker

[size=3]I am in contact with some other orders, the Dominicans and the Franciscan Sisters Minoress and I am hoing to visit them as well in the near future but at the moment I feel more and more drawn to the Carmelites :)[/size]

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1888359' date='Jun 11 2009, 12:14 PM'][size=3]I am in contact with some other orders, the Dominicans and the Franciscan Sisters Minoress and I am hoing to visit them as well in the near future but at the moment I feel more and more drawn to the Carmelites :)[/size][/quote]

[url="http://www.dominicansrs.co.uk/"]http://www.dominicansrs.co.uk/[/url]

Have you contacted them yet? :saint: