An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer/winter "come & See"s

laetitia crucis

kavalamyself

Well, I have been corresponding with them and they are very nice. I also know they are next door to the Franciscan headquarters in Santa Barbara so I think it would be great to never have to worry about having a priest say Holy Mass!

Has anybody here ever visited Roswell? I would kind of like to go there because that is where my favorite author lived, Mother Mary Francis. I would like to see the community and place where so much started.

Also, In His Love, how did your friend realize that she was not called to the cloister? Did they let her go inside? Thanks.

InHisLove726

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1865527' date='May 12 2009, 06:13 PM']Also, In His Love, how did your friend realize that she was not called to the cloister? Did they let her go inside? Thanks.[/quote]

Yes, my friend spent a week with them doing a live-in. I really don't know how she figured out, but she just told me it wasn't right for her. She feels more called to missionary work. :)

AbsconditaInDeo

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1865707' date='May 12 2009, 10:58 PM']Yes, my friend spent a week with them doing a live-in. I really don't know how she figured out, but she just told me it wasn't right for her. She feels more called to missionary work. :)[/quote]

Something very similar happened with my friend as well. She did a three month live-in with cloistered Dominican Nuns and figured out that she was called to be a missionary :)

Maria_Faustina

[quote name='laetitia crucis' post='1861936' date='May 8 2009, 04:13 PM']This summer (since I live in the western hemisphere :cool: ) I'll be visiting the [url="http://www.marymediatrix.com/religious-life/franciscan-sisters-of-the-immaculate/"]Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate[/url] in New Bedford, Mass. for about two weeks. :love: Also, if time and travel permits, I'm hoping to visit some contemplatives (Poor Clares, if possible).[/quote]

I also will be doing more than a "Come and See," :) but I'll be at the Poor Clares in St. Louis. Hopefully I can go down more than once, and hopefully, hopefully! be able to get my parents or at least my mom to go with me once too.
Which Poor Clares do you have in mind, if any specific communities? The ones in St. Louis are amazing.. *sigh*...of course I'm a little biased, but hey, they're cloistered and don't have a website (aka, no computer), so I think I'm allowed to shamelessly advertise for them. :)
(Overall, you have a Franciscan trend going, however, so that alone is good enough for me!)

littlesister

Sorry - added that reply too fast. It's at the Novitiate in New York. More info on the "Discernment Weekend" thread.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1867291' date='May 14 2009, 03:49 PM']I also will be doing more than a "Come and See," :) but I'll be at the Poor Clares in St. Louis. Hopefully I can go down more than once, and hopefully, hopefully! be able to get my parents or at least my mom to go with me once too.
Which Poor Clares do you have in mind, if any specific communities? The ones in St. Louis are amazing.. *sigh*...of course I'm a little biased, but hey, they're cloistered and don't have a website (aka, no computer), so I think I'm allowed to shamelessly advertise for them. :)
(Overall, you have a Franciscan trend going, however, so that alone is good enough for me!)[/quote]

I guess I don't really have any specific Poor Clare communities in mind since I'm relatively new in my serious discernment of cloistered orders. :blush: :) Well, except that I do want to visit the Poor Clares of the Immaculate, though they are not currently in the U.S. (Okay, so I had one in mind... :lol: ) Sooo... :whistle: perhaps eventually I may end up flying to Europe to visit them, if this is what God is asking me. :pray: (It's all about the Marian Vow, I tell you. Ah, my heart!)

If you don't mind, I'd love to hear about the Poor Clares in St. Louis as I know absolutely nothing about them! :D You can post here, or PM if you like.

Or perhaps, could you (or anyone else) recommend some Poor Clare communities in the U.S. to visit? Do [i]all[/i] Poor Clares sing/chant the entire Divine Office? :love: And live a life of austere poverty and penance?

Grazie!!

P.S. -- hope your parents will be able to make it to St. Louis will you!! :pray:

Edited by laetitia crucis

InHisLove726

[quote name='laetitia crucis' post='1867889' date='May 15 2009, 09:04 AM']Or perhaps, could you (or anyone else) recommend some Poor Clare communities in the U.S. to visit? Do [i]all[/i] Poor Clares sing/chant the entire Divine Office? :love: And live a life of austere poverty and penance?[/quote]

Have you looked into the Poor Clare Colettines of Belleville, IL? I watched their video on the website and it was AMAZING! So much so, that for a while, I looked into the possibility of a Franciscan vocation, but I'm a Carmelite. :love: Definitely look into them.

[url="http://www.poorclares-belleville.info/"]http://www.poorclares-belleville.info/[/url]

Click "Watch our video" on the main page. Trust me, you will want to be one too! ;)

There's also the Roswell, NM Poor Clare Colettines which have a book called "A Right To Be Merry" written by the former Mother Mary Francis. It was beautiful and very thorough on the life.

[url="http://www.poorclaresroswell.com/"]http://www.poorclaresroswell.com/[/url]

There's also the Rockford, IL Poor Clare Colettines:

[url="http://www.rockfordpoorclares.org/"]http://www.rockfordpoorclares.org/[/url]

I love what their profile says about them on the Religious Life website:

[quote]The Poor Clare Colettine Nuns of Corpus Christi Monastery in Rockford, Illinois, follow a tradition of eight centuries of enclosed monastic life of prayer and penance for the love of God and the salvation of souls.

The gift of their lives in the radical following of the Gospel is expressed in complete renunciation in a cloistered community united in ideals and charity nurtured by a family spirit. In the monastery, the nuns' entire lives are centered around the Eucharist privately exposed on the cloister altar. In offering their praises to God in the Liturgy of the Hours and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, the nuns stand in the name of the Church, so that the whole course of the worlds day and night is being consecrated to God.

Their monastic family fosters a true and tender devotion to Mary, and loyalty and obedience to the Vicar of Christ and Holy Mother Church. The community is composed of both cloistered nuns and extern sisters.[/quote]

:D

Edited by InHisLove726

InHisLove726

[quote name='shortnun' post='1867911' date='May 15 2009, 10:14 AM']I'll start pre-postulate in August. So it's kinda like a three month long come & see. :banana: :taco: :banana: :taco: :banana: :taco:[/quote]

The formation for your future order is very interesting. It's a little unusual that they have candidacy AND pre-postulate. In my future order (God-willing), we enter as candidates and then become postulants 3 months later, too. :D

When you get there, tell Katherine I said "hello"! :D She and I were friends on Facebook for a while before she left.

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1867915' date='May 15 2009, 10:21 AM']The formation for your future order is very interesting. It's a little unusual that they have candidacy AND pre-postulate. In my future order (God-willing), we enter as candidates and then become postulants 3 months later, too. :D

When you get there, tell Katherine I said "hello"! :D She and I were friends on Facebook for a while before she left.[/quote]
Their formation process has changed and been adapted over the past few years. Technically they just have a pre-postulate, and not a candidacy also. I know soon-to-be-Sister Katherine, too. I will tell her you said "hi"! Prayers for you on your journey also.

He is Risen!

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' post='1862554' date='May 9 2009, 07:17 AM']June 4th-8th i'll be in Buffalo NY at the Carmelite Monastery. I'm excited to find out what Jesus has planned for this visit. All I ask is that all will happen according to His will. I trust it will.

Blessings to you all! :)[/quote]

My friend Debbie will be receiving the habit there sometime in June. You'll have to tell her hi from her friends at LAMP. (she was here not long ago)

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='He is Risen!' post='1870331' date='May 18 2009, 04:56 PM']My friend Debbie will be receiving the habit there sometime in June. You'll have to tell her hi from her friends at LAMP. (she was here not long ago)[/quote]

How beautiful! So she is a postulant at the moment? I will surely let her know, and if I don't get to talk to her i'll ask Mother Miriam to give her the message. :)

God bless you!