An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monastic Humour

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

Add yours here! I'll begin.

Click [url="http://www.farnboroughabbey.org/pictures.php"]here[/url] and have a browse through the photos. A few of the captions made me holler with laughter...but then I'm a frakzy European with a weird sense of humour :ninja:

osapientia

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1868896' date='May 16 2009, 06:07 PM']Add yours here! I'll begin.

Click [url="http://www.farnboroughabbey.org/pictures.php"]here[/url] and have a browse through the photos. A few of the captions made me holler with laughter...but then I'm a frakzy European with a weird sense of humour :ninja:[/quote]

The "stampede" is hysterical....the leader of the pack looks danged determined. I was charged (when I visited Our Lady of the Rock) by a Kerry bull named Seames so I know that LOOK. Fortunately he decided to stop about 25 feet from me. Very scary but now I laugh about it...especially since one of my favorite people in all my life was a man named Seames.

Oh and I love the peacocks....absolutely breathtaking beauty but about the dirtiest bird I've ever encountered. Messy doesn't even begin to describe them ;)

Maria_Faustina

Even without noticing they were Benedictines I probably would've known lol. I go to a college on the grounds of a Benedictine abbey (hence, Benedictine College...) and after a year of getting to know the monks, I swear....they're all crazy. I love them, and they all have such unique, great, and of course, holy, personalities, but they just make me laugh! Originally I thought maybe it was just this monastery...then I figured it was probably the whole Benedictine order. ^_^ This affirms it.

(My friend later pointed out to me that it's actually just all RELIGIOUS....but that's another story).

During recreation and during supper we always laugh at the cloister... :D These are mostly the situations that makes us laugh... I love being with the Sisters. :) :lol_roll:

oh, my favourite was (on phone, I had called them and they put the phone on the table so everybody could hear it) that:

Me: How are you?
Sister Esther: Fine, thanks!
Sister Gemma: And what was God's message for you today?
Sr. Esther: To love one another in all situations.
Sr. Gemma: And for you, Bettie?
Postulant Bettie: Fine, thanks...
Sisters: That was God message for you????!!!
Me+Sisters: :lol_roll:

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Noemi' post='1870150' date='May 18 2009, 05:21 PM']Me: How are you?
Me+Sisters: :lol_roll:[/quote]

rofl :biglol:

FiereMargriet

[quote name='Noemi' post='1870150' date='May 18 2009, 12:21 PM']Me: How are you?
Me+Sisters: :lol_roll:[/quote]

:lol_roll: I have a similar story. The very first time I visited a monastery (O.C.D.'s), the woman who is their extern along with her family (a laywoman) rang the bell at the turn and was telling the sister there that I had arrived to speak with their Mother Superior and Novice Mistress. Along came a visiting priest and he greeted the sister at the turn and asked, "And what are you all doing this afternoon?"

In the sweetest voice, the nun replied, "Oh, we're just moping around, Father!" I already knew that nuns could be some of the nicest people in the world, but it was a bit of a shock to me to hear a Discalced Carmelite--whom I had expected to be so serious--joking around like that! But it was a pleasant shock!

VeniteAdoremus

Bishop CRISPIAN?

As in - MY bishop Crispian?

And they have a Cavaille-Coll organ! If they haven't all overAnglified it it's bound to be totally insane registrations-wise... *feels a mission coming up*

And Marie-Faustina: it's definitely all religious, although I do think Benedictine men have a special place when it comes to insanity :) (<whisper>that'swhyPPgetsalongwiththem</whisper>)

VeniteAdoremus

And now that I've actually looked at ALL of them ;)
the "The Grounds" ones are definitely the funniest :D My father was getting concerned at the sounds I was making...

• 1 month later...

It doesn't happened in the convent but in a pilgrimage.

As we walked I started speaking about pockets. That a jeans has got so tiny pockets. And how jealous am I for the big pockets... like the cistercian monk walking in front of us. He has so huge pockets in his habit.
And he heared it!!! :rolleyes: He covered his pocket with his hand...
Then in a minute the sister who walked with me greeted him!! I realised that they know each other! I wanted to hide but I couldn't... he just smiled. :)

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

at prince of peace abbey they have a magician rattlesnake killing monk who plays guitar. Hes full of jokes aswell.