An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters

InHisLove726

This Poor Clare Nun says "if it's noisy, you can't hear him."

[url="http://www.cleveland.com/religion/index.ssf/2006/12/a_secluded_path_inside_the_cha.html"]http://www.cleveland.com/religion/index.ss...de_the_cha.html[/url]

That's very true in discernment, too, I think. If one cannot settle down and be a little quiet, one will have a difficult time hearing what, exactly, the Lord is saying to them. One must create a space for interior silence; internal chatter is as loud and distracting and ultimately misleading, as external chatter.

Edited by DameAgnes

InHisLove726

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1874158' date='May 23 2009, 11:00 PM']This Poor Clare Nun says "if it's noisy, you can't hear him."

[url="http://www.cleveland.com/religion/index.ssf/2006/12/a_secluded_path_inside_the_cha.html"]http://www.cleveland.com/religion/index.ss...de_the_cha.html[/url]

That's very true in discernment, too, I think. If one cannot settle down and be a little quiet, one will have a difficult time hearing what, exactly, the Lord is saying to them. One must create a space for interior silence; internal chatter is as loud and distracting and ultimately misleading, as external chatter.[/quote]

Thank you for posting that article. :) I love the spirituality of the Poor Clares.

I think silence is very necessary in today's world. With cell phones and constant chatter, it's really difficult to hear Him. That's why I love Adoration so much. I need the silence in order to calm down and really pray and communicate with Our Lord. :D

tnavarro61

i love silence too. one time the whole city experienced a blackout (brownout?) and there was silence everywhere! i visit a nearby Carmelite monastery and it is very quiet there, especially at the adoration chapel. I also visit the minim nuns' monastery and silence is eveyrwhere, too. these nuns lent us their breviaries so that we can join them in their prayers. they pray behind the grilles near the altars. they let us site near the grills so thatwe can become closer to them in praying. their voices are very angelic.. very angelic, then silence still remains when they pause. ah. if only i have my own room (i never experienced having a bedroom to call my own. my whole family shares one bedroom.)!

by the way, does the pink sisters allow visits from people they don't know? do they also have the parlor?

i saw a sspsap website and found out that most of SSpSAP monasteries are in our country! No wonder they are very "popular" in our country.

Edited by tnavarro61

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1873989' date='May 23 2009, 05:44 PM']I'll keep you updated. :) You have to promise to write about your experiences with Buffalo Carmel next month, though! I really want to know more about them. :D[/quote]

I'll let you know everything. :)

I'll be there around noon on June 4th and i'll be back at the house June 8th around 5 in the evening. I'm thinking about taking a digital camera so that I can post some pictures online. I won't be in the enclosure, but possibly I can get some pictures of the public Chapel, the room i'll be in, and the Monastery grounds. That would be nice, we'll see what happens! :)

[quote name='tnavarro61' post='1874709' date='May 25 2009, 08:09 AM']I also visit the minim nuns' monastery and silence is eveyrwhere, too. these nuns lent us their breviaries so that we can join them in their prayers. they pray behind the grilles near the altars. they let us site near the grills so thatwe can become closer to them in praying. their voices are very angelic.. very angelic, then silence still remains when they pause.[/quote]

Minim nuns? Can you write down the Congregation's whole name? I have a clue which order can it be... (Suore Minime Addolorata????)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Noemi' post='1875569' date='May 26 2009, 05:27 PM']Minim nuns? Can you write down the Congregation's whole name? I have a clue which order can it be... (Suore Minime Addolorata????)[/quote]

Probably [url="http://www.minimas.org/"]these[/url].

tnavarro61

This is the order i am refering too: Order of the Minim Nuns of St. Francis of Paola. VeniteAdoremus gave the website. Charism: perpetual lenten observance.

God bless!

julielizabet

I visited a lot of different communities, mostly cloistered. But this was the one I would have entered. I even filled out the application and had it sitting on my coffee table (hadn't mailed it yet, it was quite long) at the time I met my husband. Now we're married and have two children, 3 and 5.

In any case, I've visited both Mt. Grace in St. Louis and the convent in Philly, the Convent of Divine Love. I live less than an hour from Philly. Right now I'm trying to find out what time mass is for tomorrow (Pentecost), their big feast but no one's answering!

As far as I know, if you were to enter you'd have to enter in St. Louis, not in Philly or any other location. They changed that some years back as I recall. When I went to Mt. Grace in St. Louis, I was able to spend a weekend in their guest room, which is just off the parlor near the grill. It was a wonderful retreat, having the Blessed Sacrament exposed all the time (something I'd never experienced before) and being able to talk to the sisters.

There's this stereotype that cloistered contemplative nuns are somehow withdrawn, shy sort of creatures and let me tell you, they were very outgoing, talkative, sociable, and funny. They were great. The grill, at least the one in the parlor in St. Louis, is made of a thick acrylic that is clear so you can actually see them a little more easily than other grills.

I will never forget one of the sisters saying that as long as the child is small enough to fit in the turn, they can come in! (With regard to family members.) So one of them had a sister who had a baby and they just stuck the baby in the turn and passed him/her through! How cool is that?

What also makes them different is their international nature. They have convents around the world, in India, the Philippines, and elsewhere. Unlike some orders, such as the Benedictines or Carmelites, you do not promise to remain at a particular monastery. You [i][/i]may [i][/i] actually be transferred somewhere else. Of course, it didn't seem like this happened all that frequently, but it is a possibility you should be open to.

Also partly due to the international nature of the congregation you have sisters from so many different backgrounds, which is neat, in my opinion.

After you submit an application and they accept you on some level, you may be permitted to do a "live in." That is what I was going to do as I'd been encouraged as a "next step." They give you a sort of postulant dress and veil to wear. As I understood it this could last at least month, possibly 2. I can't quite remember the exact duration. At a live in, it is not postulancy, but a chance to live inside the cloister with the sisters and "try out" The Life. My impression was that it was a sort of pre-postulancy.

I would encourage you to explore this community. It's a beautiful and unique one with a tremendous spirituality and a fabulous spirit. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by julielizabet

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

After you submit an application and they accept you on some level, you may be permitted to do a "live in." That is what I was going to do as I'd been encouraged as a "next step." They give you a sort of postulant dress and veil to wear. As I understood it this could last at least month, possibly 2. I can't quite remember the exact duration. At a live in, it is not postulancy, but a chance to live inside the cloister with the sisters and "try out" The Life. My impression was that it was a sort of pre-postulancy.

I would encourage you to explore this community. It's a beautiful and unique one with a tremendous spirituality and a fabulous spirit. Let us know how it goes.
[/quote]

Very good :) ... I feel strong though about 1st and second year noviciations for orders in that people sometimes need a bit more than a couple of months to decide and infact if not suited for the ordered life have a far greater experience and recieving of gifts for there future laity lives by being able to stay for a year or 2, i'm led to believe carmelites in australia have this option and so do the missionaries of GODS love and is very good i believe.

julielizabet

I can't think of a single community I visited that didn't have "temporary professions." In many communities you have as much as 5 years before final profession. At any time during those years you are free to leave. In a couple communities I remember counting as much as 7 years before final profession.

In the case of the HSAS, you'd do a live in (if they still offer that option), then presumably go home and take care of business, so to speak, after which time you'd officially enter as a postulant. You'd be a postulant for 6 months to a year and then after that a novice for about 2 years, if I remember correctly.

Most communities will allow you to renew your temporary vows, too, and postulancy and novitiate time periods vary from community to community, and to some extent from individual to individual. But they were ll of the impression that God lets you know well before time comes for perpetual vows whether or not you're in the right place, the place He wants you.

I know a little about the Holy Spirit Sisters of Perpetual Adoration.

They were founded in the 1800s by Bl. Arnold Janssen in either Holland or Germany; Janssen also founded the Society of the Divine Word, and the Pink Sisters are a sort of parallel women's branch so they pray especially for the SVDs. The have perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, as their name clearly indicates. They chant the divine office in the local language, and I think they do all seven offices, but I don't guarantee that. One unique part of their charism is JOY - that's what the pink of the habit represents. I think their emphasis on the Holy Spirit was also somewhat unusual at the time of their founding, and even though its not unusual these days, it is still an important part of their charism. They make altar bread and hand-lettered prayer enrollments by way of supporting themselves.

They do NOT take a vow of stability - this is somewhat different from most of the the older monastic orders. The mother general (or superior, or whatever her proper title is) can move nuns from house to house as she deems necessary, perhaps based on skills needed at a particular house, declining numbers due to deaths, or when making a new foundation, for instance. I don't think the assignments are arbitrary or abrupt; since the office is prayed in the local language, a sister would need to be prepared to move to another country.

They have monasteries in Philadelphia, St. Louis, Lincoln or Omaha, and one in Texas - Corpus Christi? - as well as Holland, Philippines, Argentina, and India, and maybe one or two other places. The Philadelphia monastery has a web page that lists them all. The monasteries in Nebraska & Texas are fairly small - I think there are eight nuns in Nebraska - and the monasteries in Philadelphia & St. Louis are fairly large - more like twenty nuns. I think the houses in Philadelphia & St. Louis are "formation stations" (to badly paraphrase "vocation station") - the postulants do their formation in one house and the novices do their formation in the other, but I'm not sure which one is which. I suppose the vowed juniors are stationed according to mother superior's wishes.

InHisLove726

Thank you, Luigi, for that short history of the order. :) However, at this time, I'm focusing on the Community of the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal.

[url="http://www.franciscansisterscfr.com/"]http://www.franciscansisterscfr.com/[/url]

God bless! :saint:

kavalamyself

I was a "pink sister" or as I like to call it - an Adoration nun! I didn't make it past being a postulant. I think they are for sure a beautiful order, but I was asked to leave. At the time I was there, the novice mistress was going through issues, as was the superior. Very bad timing. If I had been older, I could have handled I'd. I have kept in touch and I think they are back on track. God bless, Mary keep!

the lords sheep

[quote name='julielizabet' post='1879212' date='May 31 2009, 05:54 PM']I can't think of a single community I visited that didn't have "temporary professions." In many communities you have as much as 5 years before final profession. At any time during those years you are free to leave. In a couple communities I remember counting as much as 7 years before final profession.[/quote]

By Canon Law an order must have at least 3 years in temporary profession before you can profess final vows.
There can be exceptions to the 3 year minimum but they are extremely rare. In my future order, there was a Sister who was temp. professed for 2 years and diagnosed with a non-cancerous operable brain tumor. She was allowed- with permission from the Holy See- to profess final vows just before the operation, so that if she were to die, she would die a perpetually professed bride of Christ.
From my understanding, however, baring a life or death situation, there usually isn't an exception.

Sorry- Off Topic. Back to regularly scheduled programing...