An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could You Help Me A Little?

agnes88

laetitia crucis

[quote name='agnes88' post='1874344' date='May 24 2009, 02:56 PM']Have any of you done the little vocations test on this website? [url="http://www.vocationsplacement.org/NewApplicant.asp?fromWeb=true&TYC=true&Interest=Monastic"]http://www.vocationsplacement.org/NewAppli...terest=Monastic[/url]

I'm interested in doing it, but it says communities may call you or mail you things. I'm fine with emails, but I haven't talked to my parents or roommates about my discernment, so I don't really want phone calls or mail.[/quote]

I did that vocation test a few years ago, and yep, various orders definitely called me and/or sent mail to me. I can't remember if they had an e-mail option, but I think they may have... perhaps that's something you'd be able to specify? :think:

VeniteAdoremus, I have been thinking about starting a spiritual journal! God must be nudging me to do so. ;) You're right that it's so easy to judge an order based on the website! I've been trying not to do that, but it's so natural.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, Toservelove. I have a wonderful spiritual director now. He doesn't know too much about women's orders, but he certainly knows [i]me[/i] very well! Unfortunately, he's being transferred, so I'm going to need to find a new SD in a few months. I'll try to be patient in my discernment. I was looking at some cloistered Dominican orders. My SD told me he thought I should look at cloistered orders and shouldn't be so scared of them. lol :unsure: I didn't know cloistered religious could go on the internet. How does that work?

toservelove

We're hooked up on the internet in the novitiate, but some cloistered orders are very firm and strict about usage. I try to limit my overall computer time, so you may not hear from me again. I just happened to have some extra time today, because it's Sunday.

Actually, I jumped back on because you said you were sort of making your way back to the Church. I thought you might be interested in this website:
[url="http://www.catholicscomehome.org/"]http://www.catholicscomehome.org/[/url]
and I would also recommend the book on this website: [u]Rediscovering Catholocism [/u]by Matthew Kelly. He is a young man, I don't think he's in his 30s yet, and he writes compassionately, clearly and also challenges you a bit.

Anyway, I will pray for you.

PS I didn't think I wanted to be in a cloister either, but I'm really enjoying it. But God took some time to prepare the way, and He may do that with you too, or He may lead you in a completely different direction.

loveletslive

i spent the past 2 weekends with Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist. if you are worried about nuns being old and not fun, don't worry! many convents are growing and have very young sisters (mary mother of the eucharist, sisters of life, nashville dominicans). the average age of both dominican orders is like 24 or something and let me tell you, i had SO MUCH FUN hanging out with the sisters! they are normal people too who like to have fun :) i even danced with one sister :)

jwingert72

Take the leap of faith. My dear friend and former mentor, who is a Bishop, by the way gave me these wonderful words. "God will never leave you astray, give everything you have." I know that when I entered a community, he sent me too, I was extremely happy most of the time. There were struggles because being a young sister is always a challenge when the life is "outside" the world we know. I didn't leave because I wasn't called to consecrated life or because I was unhappy. It is because God said no! Even though it was a painful process for me , my former community, and my bishop for me to leave, it was so obvious to the sisters, to me, and to my Bishop that I belonged in Wyoming. (See my profile for more info.)

There were things happening behind the scenes that I didn't know about, and when decissions were made that I had no control over, God uprooted me and replanted me back in my diocese. What will be, will be, and it is all in his hands. Though I have so many crooked paths, I wouldn't change them. Each journey and turn in the road has taught me things about myself, or God, or community life, or my particular charism, or etc. that I needed to learn at that particular time and place. The ride of Christ's divine providence is beyond my imagination and well worth the journey.

You need to contact sisters and visit them. Every opportunity is a chance for Christ to stretch us and to grow closer to him. To learn to depend on him more. God Bless you for your enthusiaism to say YES! Fiat! Fiat! Fiat!

jwingert72

Oh, a little note. I didn't tell my family first (years ago.) and I sent in a postcard from the vocations guidebook. Oh my! Imagine my father's surprise when he went home early to pick up his golfclubs and found 20+ big brown envelopes stuffed in the screen door from all these religious vocation directors. When I mailed it I figured I could waylay the letters (not knowing they would be so big.) before anyone got home. I also made the mistake of checking off that I was interested in everything. So you can imagine the mail we got at home for several months. Actually I feel sorry for the mailman. I was in college and living at home. What a family story that is. My father couldn't speak to me for two weeks. But, it wasn't because he was angry or non supportive. He would choke up and just pat me on the head. He was afraid to speak, because for the first time I had left him speachless, and he was afraid he would ball like a baby. Just a little comic relief for everyone.

Thank you so much, everyone!

I admit, I'm quite scared. I know I shouldn't be afraid, so I am trying to keep strong faith in Christ. :)

I was contacted out of the blue a couple of days ago by a Dominican nun. I have been trying to decide how to respond. I do not want to rush anything.

I will probably be meeting with my spiritual director tomorrow or the next day. I hope I don't unload too much stuff on him!

[quote name='jwingert72' post='1876266' date='May 26 2009, 11:48 PM']Oh, a little note. I didn't tell my family first (years ago.) and I sent in a postcard from the vocations guidebook. Oh my! Imagine my father's surprise when he went home early to pick up his golfclubs and found 20+ big brown envelopes stuffed in the screen door from all these religious vocation directors. When I mailed it I figured I could waylay the letters (not knowing they would be so big.) before anyone got home. I also made the mistake of checking off that I was interested in everything. So you can imagine the mail we got at home for several months. Actually I feel sorry for the mailman. I was in college and living at home. What a family story that is. My father couldn't speak to me for two weeks. But, it wasn't because he was angry or non supportive. He would choke up and just pat me on the head. He was afraid to speak, because for the first time I had left him speachless, and he was afraid he would ball like a baby. Just a little comic relief for everyone.[/quote]
I've been thinking about this! My parents know I go to daily Mass and such, but they are not religious. I don't think they would be very happy to learn about my discernment! I think I'm going to keep it quiet for now until I learn more. I think with time they would be OK with more apostolic orders, but I can't imagine my parents supporting a contemplative vocation! I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

InHisLove726

[quote name='agnes88' post='1876279' date='May 27 2009, 12:00 AM']I've been thinking about this! My parents know I go to daily Mass and such, but they are not religious. I don't think they would be very happy to learn about my discernment! I think I'm going to keep it quiet for now until I learn more. I think with time they would be OK with more apostolic orders, but I can't imagine my parents supporting a contemplative vocation! I'll cross that bridge when I come to it![/quote]

You never know! They might surprise you! I thought my mom was going to be very upset because it's not a well known vocation at all in our family. I'm the first to discern a religious vocation. She took it pretty well, all things considering, and said if it would make me happy to go for it. I feel like she is one of my biggest cheerleaders now, even though some stuff hasn't worked out.

All I'm saying is give your parents a chance. :)

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1876289' date='May 27 2009, 12:06 AM']You never know! They might surprise you! I thought my mom was going to be very upset because it's not a well known vocation at all in our family. I'm the first to discern a religious vocation. She took it pretty well, all things considering, and said if it would make me happy to go for it. I feel like she is one of my biggest cheerleaders now, even though some stuff hasn't worked out.

All I'm saying is give your parents a chance. :)[/quote]
My mom isn't religious, and my dad left the Church, so they don't really "get" religion very well. They both love and support me, though, and they want me to be happy. :)

• 3 weeks later...

There are nuns. Happy nuns. Even here.:topsy:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' post='1874466' date='May 25 2009, 01:50 AM']I did that vocation test a few years ago, and yep, various orders definitely called me and/or sent mail to me. I can't remember if they had an e-mail option, but I think they may have... perhaps that's something you'd be able to specify? :think:[/quote]
Is it a test, or is it an application? I'm confused. Is what I see on that page the whole thing?

I would be a little nervous having people calling me, because English is not my first language. I guess it would probably work out fine though.

An I'm not Catholic yet( perhaps in 3 months or so :D)

Edited by Hilde

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Hilde' post='1891427' date='Jun 15 2009, 07:53 PM']Nobody knows?[/quote]

I wonder if they would even call someone outside the US anyway. But I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
elizabeth09

Carmelite sisters of the divine heart of jesus

[url="http://www.carmelitedcj.org/"]http://www.carmelitedcj.org/[/url]

Here is there web site.

InHisLove726

[quote name='Hilde' post='1888656' date='Jun 11 2009, 08:43 PM']There are nuns. Happy nuns. Even here.:topsy:

Is it a test, or is it an application? I'm confused. Is what I see on that page the whole thing?

I would be a little nervous having people calling me, because English is not my first language. I guess it would probably work out fine though.

An I'm not Catholic yet( perhaps in 3 months or so :D)[/quote]

It's a vocation test to see where you best fit in (I'm sorry I didn't answer before; I didn't see your question). The communities that you match with will send you information by mail or email. You are not obligated in any way to visit them or keep contact with them. It is just a very good resource for those who are discerning. I've taken the test several times. :D