An Old School Catholic Message Board

Justifying Contraception

mortify

[b]Edit: perhaps a better title for the thread would be, "Accommodation / toleration of Contraception"[/b]

It's interesting to learn cases of evils being permitted because they are considered a [i]lesser evil[/i] or even requiring toleration to preserve social order. So for example war is a necessary evil in some cases, and even things like prostitution were tolerated in the Medieval ages. St Augustine even said,

[color="#0000FF"]"If you expel prostitution from society, you will unsettle everything on account of lusts" [/color]

Now I wonder if this same logic can be applied to an evil such as contraception? We recognize it's use is wrong, but none the less it can be permitted to preserve order.

What do you say?

(As an aside: the Medieval toleration of prostitution: [url="http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Italian_Studies/dweb/society/sex/prostitution.shtml"][u]http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Italian_S...stitution.shtml[/u][/url])

Edited by mortify

[quote name='mortify' post='1877073' date='May 28 2009, 01:39 AM'][b]Edit: perhaps a better title for the thread would be, "Accommodation / toleration of Contraception"[/b]

It's interesting to learn cases of evils being permitted because they are considered a [i]lesser evil[/i] or even requiring toleration to preserve social order. So for example war is a necessary evil in some cases, and even things like prostitution were tolerated in the Medieval ages. St Augustine even said,

[color="#0000FF"]"If you expel prostitution from society, you will unsettle everything on account of lusts" [/color]

Now I wonder if this same logic can be applied to an evil such as contraception? We recognize it's use is wrong, but none the less it can be permitted to preserve order.

What do you say?

(As an aside: the Medieval toleration of prostitution: [url="http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Italian_Studies/dweb/society/sex/prostitution.shtml"][u]http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Italian_S...stitution.shtml[/u][/url])[/quote]

Contraception is and always will be a grave error. The level of knowledge regarding this error is virtually nonexistent in the common population, however. And a great deal could be said for the probable lack of full consent. So you may be able to determine that in some cases contraception constitutes a venial sin of grave nature, but that's about it.

tinytherese

Using contraception is very dangerous. There are serious medical side affects and is not as effective as their companies claim that they are. Contraception also has negative affects on the people involved. It hurts the people involved physically, emotionally, and spiritually so why do it? For information on the realies of "safe sex" and the benefits of living out God's love as it was meant to be go to

[url="http://www.chastity.com/chastity/index.php?id=7&cat=Birth%20Control"]http://www.chastity.com/chastity/index.php...Birth%20Control[/url]

I'm just pointing out that certain sins have been tolerated and even permitted, and perhaps the same could be said for contraception?

Archaeology cat

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1877509' date='May 29 2009, 03:03 AM']how does contraception affect people negatively emotionally?[/quote]
Some people have really bad mood swings when taking hormonal contraceptives.

Birth Control is allowed in certain medical situations where the intention is not focused on preventing childbirth.

If that is true, could condoms be used if a spouse has a certain STD? In this case the intention is to prevent this STD from infecting the other person.

Edited by musturde

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1877509' date='May 28 2009, 11:03 PM']how does contraception affect people negatively emotionally?[/quote]
It can destroy a womens sex drive, leading to a lifetime of "not tonight dear, I have a headache". Its thats not a negative emotional consequence I don't know what is...

HisChildForever

[quote name='musturde' post='1877852' date='May 29 2009, 11:34 AM']Birth Control is allowed in certain medical situations where the intention is not focused on preventing childbirth.

If that is true, could condoms be used if a spouse has a certain STD? In this case the intention is to prevent this STD from infecting the other person.[/quote]

This is a good question...but I feel you couldn't compare the two situations because the woman using birth control for medical reasons can't help having those medical problems whereas the spouse with the STD could have prevented that from not having sex.

RemnantRules

someone please help clarify for me how using birth control kills certain infections and/or help a woman that other medications couldn't do?

HisChildForever

[quote name='RemnantRules' post='1877900' date='May 29 2009, 01:01 PM']someone please help clarify for me how using birth control kills certain infections and/or help a woman that other medications couldn't do?[/quote]

It has nothing to do with infections but the woman's menstrual cycle and hormone levels. For example, some women go on birth control because they get severe hormonal acne before or during their monthly cycle. As for the menstrual cycle, some women's monthly cycle is not the typical 5-6 days but 2-3 weeks. I am in no way advocating taking this pill, I have heard plenty of things against it, but these are the reasons why a women goes on it. It really shouldn't be called "the birth control pill" in these instances because it is DIFFERENT that the real birth control pill.

Edited by HisChildForever

sweetpea316

[quote name='RemnantRules' post='1877900' date='May 29 2009, 01:01 PM']someone please help clarify for me how using birth control kills certain infections and/or help a woman that other medications couldn't do?[/quote]
Hmm...none that I can think of. Oftentimes the pill is prescribed as a 'quick and easy fix' and only masks problems, not actually identifying and fixing them. A good friend was having pains and her doctor tried to push the pill on her. She didn't want to take it, so went to a strict no-contraceptive doctor who ended up finding out that she has polycystic ovarian syndrome and fixed the actual problem!

RemnantRules

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1877908' date='May 29 2009, 12:08 PM']It has nothing to do with infections but the woman's menstrual cycle and hormone levels. For example, some women go on birth control because they get severe hormonal acne before or during their monthly cycle. As for the menstrual cycle, some women's monthly cycle is not the typical 5-6 days but 2-3 weeks. I am in no way advocating taking this pill, I have heard plenty of things against it, but these are the reasons why a women goes on it. It really shouldn't be called "the birth control pill" in these instances because it is DIFFERENT that the real birth control pill.[/quote]

I understand HCF, and I have had other women tell me pretty much what you have described.
But acne and menstrual cycles can be observed and monitor through other routes than just giving Birth Control. How is it different though? I understand in that the intent of taking the pill for those women are not intending to prevent pregnancy, but to help certain symptoms. Yet, the overall purpose of birth control pills is to prevent a pregnancy, even abortification, I can't see it being justified. As a male, hypothetically, if they told me that they could improve my acne and certain testosterone issues, but the prescription is intended to make me impotent or unable to produce children, I couldn't justify taking it.

God Bless

[quote name='mortify' post='1877073' date='May 27 2009, 11:39 PM'][color="#0000FF"]"If you expel prostitution from society, you will unsettle everything on account of lusts" [/color][/quote]
This quotation is from one of Augustine's earlier writings, and at the time he was still -- at least to some degree -- under the influence Manichaean dualism.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1877899' date='May 29 2009, 11:58 AM']This is a good question...but I feel you couldn't compare the two situations because the woman using birth control for medical reasons can't help having those medical problems whereas the spouse with the STD could have prevented that from not having sex.[/quote]

Can't you contract some STDS simply from birth? Either way, it is irrelevant whether the STD is caused from birth, a past mistake, or rape. The question still remains the same.