An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictine Eco-convent

she_who_is_not

she_who_is_not

[url="http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/05/27/benedictine-nuns-move-to-new-eco-convent/"]http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/05/27/benedi...ew-eco-convent/[/url]

Edited by she_who_is_not

puellapaschalis

[quote]Conventus of Our Lady of Consolation[/quote]

I almost [i]never[/i] see Stanbrook referred to by its real name! I had to read it a few times and think quite hard before I realised that there aren't that many monasteries of OSB nuns in the UK which are moving to North Yorkshire :lol_roll:

she_who_is_not

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1878523' date='May 30 2009, 03:02 PM']I almost [i]never[/i] see Stanbrook referred to by its real name! I had to read it a few times and think quite hard before I realised that there aren't that many monasteries of OSB nuns in the UK which are moving to North Yorkshire :lol_roll:[/quote]

That is the new Stanbrook!!! My, my!
I really can't decide whether I love it or hate it.
The building that is.

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1878529' date='May 30 2009, 04:08 PM']That is the new Stanbrook!!! My, my!
I really can't decide whether I love it or hate it.
The building that is.[/quote]

I vote for strenuously disliking it.

osapientia

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1878535' date='May 30 2009, 05:22 PM']I vote for strenuously disliking it.[/quote]
Hmmm...I'm surprised I'm going to say this but I like it. I am NOT generally a lover of modern architecture (FAR FROM IT) and I certainly don't buy ALL the hoopla over the environment these days....but it is true that the sisters need efficient energy sources to keep a handle on living expenses and this is a design that will bring that to them.

I really like the locattion and they've made the refectory look pretty darn traditional. All in all I don't think it's too bad....and believe me, I was prepared to join Dame Agnes in strenuous dislike.

I'm sure they will miss their glorious former monastery in a lot of ways, but I do hope they are happy in the new place ....if not right away, I certainly hope it will happen sooner rather than later.

Pax
osap
*edited for typo

Edited by osapientia

Digitaldame

I suspect you'd need to visit and live there for a bit (preferably for a year, to see the effect of the changing seasons, especially winter) before being able to judge whether the buildings are great/good/ghastly. (I once worked in a building that had won I don't know how many awards: it looked stunning but was cold, noisy and not very user-friendly, but you'd never have known had you not experienced it!) Unfortunately, there's no church or library yet and the access road is a bit precipitous.

Marieteresa

wow, i didnt know that was stanbrook, yes the building is very interesting and efficient it just doesn't remind me of a monastery to be honest. I know monasteries come in all shapes and sizes, this monastery just doesn't have that beauty that some of us are attracted to.....just like churches, we all admire the beauty of historic churches that have stain glass windows and high altars that are carved of stone but when we see something that looks like a warehouse rather than a church it doesn't look as beautiful.

Digitaldame

Forgot to say, the photo of the refectory is of the [b]original refectory at Stanbrook[/b] not of the one at Crieff!

puellapaschalis

If I remember rightly, the new monastery is whack bang in the middle of a National Park; when it comes to the UK and National Parks and building permission, there's enough bureaucracy and red tape to make Methuselah lose his temper and smack someone upside the head :boink:

osapientia

[quote name='Digitaldame' post='1879158' date='May 31 2009, 07:56 AM']Forgot to say, the photo of the refectory is of the [b]original refectory at Stanbrook[/b] not of the one at Crieff![/quote]

Oh Darn!!

I love their new place, even though I am not overly fond of modern architecture. Century-old buildings can be a real burden to maintain and repair... and to heat! And how great that they are in a forest where suburbia cannot grow up around their monastery.

she_who_is_not

Another little write up in the Guardian.
[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/may/21/green-nunnery-move"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009...en-nunnery-move[/url]
I don't think I have ever seen nuns in the Guardian before.

VeniteAdoremus

I like it a lot. But then I am all for simplicity in convent architecture - it suits poverty, in my opinion. Although a little stained glass never goes astray :)

From what I read in the Guardian article, the architect seems very respectful of the nuns and their way of life! That's certainly nice to read :)

(And I believe I've said this before, but "Savage" is rather high on the list of funniest surnames for an abbess :) )