An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Of The Renewal

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

I saw the Sisters and the Friars again this week, and again (for the 4th time), I felt called to look at their order further. :) There is a certain peace that I feel when I am with them, like they exude a calm spirit. This week was a little mini-retreat and then I'll see them again later this year in December for the weekend retreat that I'll be going on for the third time! I'm so excited! :)

I talked to Sr. Agnes (their Novice Mistress) and Sr. Maria Teresa (a junior professed Sister) about their apostolate and learned that they have a soup kitchen and food pantry. I decided it would be a REALLY good idea if I got a volunteer position at a soup kitchen here in town. I looked it up on the internet to find some ideas, and found a very prominent, well-known kitchen in the downtown area called "St. Francis Soup Kitchen" that's adjacent to the Catholic Church! :punk: They are open on Saturdays for meals 10am-1pm. I'm thinking I might do every other Saturday or something. I think this would be a good way to experience the apostolate without having to go up there. My grandfather used to volunteer at a Methodist church down the street from his home, and it was a food pantry, so that's another option, or I could volunteer at Salvation Army! :D

I see this as a wonderful opportunity as a job recommendation as well (which I need since I haven't worked in over 2 years), plus, the work with the homeless/poor would be beneficial. All around, it's a win-win situation. ;)

I am going to print out a "come and see" form from the CFR website and start contact with Sr. Francis (the Vocation Director) next week (she's on her annual retreat and won't be back 'til next week). Please keep me in your prayers as the job search is not turning up any callbacks yet. :( But I'm trusting in the Lord. :D

tinytherese

I remember them being on Life on the Rock years ago. I don't remember much of the episode but I do remember that it was a popular one and that I enjoyed it. The ones where communities are guests seem to be the most anticipated.

InHisLove726

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1878725' date='May 30 2009, 09:57 PM']These sisters seem really cool. One of my friends is looking into them.[/quote]

Oh, they are incredible! :) I could talk to Sr. Maria Teresa like she was a very close friend. They are very good listeners.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1878917' date='May 31 2009, 01:26 AM']Oh, they are incredible! :) I could talk to Sr. Maria Teresa like she was a very close friend. They are very good listeners.[/quote]

:D That's great! I was just checking out their website-- they have an application type form just to go on a retreat with them! That's intense!

Edited by TeresaBenedicta

InHisLove726

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1878925' date='May 31 2009, 12:38 AM']:D That's great! I was just checking out their website-- they have an application type form just to go on a retreat with them! That's intense![/quote]

I'm actually planning to print it out and send it to them this week. I don't know when I'll be able to go, but I would love to start the contact process with their VD, and since they don't have email, and I know she's going to ask me many questions, I figure this will make it easier. :D

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1878927' date='May 31 2009, 01:39 AM']I'm actually planning to print it out and send it to them this week. I don't know when I'll be able to go, but I would love to start the contact process with their VD, and since they don't have email, and I know she's going to ask me many questions, I figure this will make it easier. :D[/quote]

You seem to be a pro at this! I just had my first conversation with a VD with a certain community and I had no idea what to expect! I was very nervous.

InHisLove726

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1878929' date='May 31 2009, 12:42 AM']You seem to be a pro at this! I just had my first conversation with a VD with a certain community and I had no idea what to expect! I was very nervous.[/quote]

LOL! Hardly a pro at all! I have had a conversation with a Sister of Life on the phone before (they, too, do not have email) and they didn't have one of those forms. We spent and hour and a half asking and answering questions. :topsy:

On another hand, I spoke with the VD of the Carmelites that I was last discerning with after I mailed them a letter. She called me out of the blue one night, and I could not stop my hands or voice from shaking. :sweat: I wasn't expecting her to call me. I was so glad when the conversation was over with! LOL! :))

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1878938' date='May 31 2009, 01:47 AM']LOL! Hardly a pro at all! I have had a conversation with a Sister of Life on the phone before (they, too, do not have email) and they didn't have one of those forms. We spent and hour and a half asking and answering questions. :topsy:

On another hand, I spoke with the VD of the Carmelites that I was last discerning with after I mailed them a letter. She called me out of the blue one night, and I could not stop my hands or voice from shaking. :sweat: I wasn't expecting her to call me. I was so glad when the conversation was over with! LOL! :))[/quote]

:topsy: I see, I see, says the blind man.

That's about how long my conversation was. Except it was split up into two phone calls-- the first 1/2 an hour, the second an hour. Sister had to go off for midday prayers, so she asked if she could call back in the afternoon.

I can't imagine a surprise call! Whew.

InHisLove726

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1878945' date='May 31 2009, 12:52 AM']:topsy: I see, I see, says the blind man.

That's about how long my conversation was. Except it was split up into two phone calls-- the first 1/2 an hour, the second an hour. Sister had to go off for midday prayers, so she asked if she could call back in the afternoon.

I can't imagine a surprise call! Whew.[/quote]

LOL! You should have heard my voice breaking! I seriously wondered, after I hung up, if she thought I was crying! LOL!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1878953' date='May 31 2009, 01:56 AM']LOL! You should have heard my voice breaking! I seriously wondered, after I hung up, if she thought I was crying! LOL![/quote]

:lol_roll: I'm sure they're all used to us little 'uns being quite nervous. Haha, you should have heard me begin to stumble when Sister asked me why I think I'm called to religious life!

InHisLove726

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1878966' date='May 31 2009, 01:01 AM']:lol_roll: I'm sure they're all used to us little 'uns being quite nervous. Haha, you should have heard me begin to stumble when Sister asked me why I think I'm called to religious life![/quote]

When I was talking to Sr. Maria Teresa of the CFRs, I told her about my intense nervousness when I talk on the phone to VD's and she told me that she, herself, hung up on the VD the first time they answered!! I thought, "Man! I hope I don't do that!" :lol_roll: Then, at the end of the conversation, she told me to promise to call the VD, and I said, "I will, but I hope I don't hang up on them first!" LOL! :topsy:

In The Arms of The Lord

InHisLove, I don't know if you have seen this video but it's [b][i][u]absolutely[/u][/i][/b] beautiful! It's 2 of the CFR Sisters taking First Vows. I would recommend watching this, to everyone. :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru8B94MfQx0&feature=PlayList&p=EF06FD943F91B941&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru8B94MfQx0...PL&index=11[/url]