An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Considering Entering The Franciscans Of The Immaculate

OraProMe

They're one of the only orders in Australia that retains the habit and the only one that uses the EF Mass aswell as the OF. And I'm very attracted to their Marian spirituality, because if it wasn't for Our Lady I'd be an atheist.

Sadly they're not involved in teaching, which I would have loved to do. But the main teaching orders in Australia don't appeal to me at all.

Does anyone have any comments on or experience with the Franciscans of the Immaculate?

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1878854' date='May 30 2009, 11:22 PM']Ought you not to live chastely three years before beginning the process to become a cleric?[/quote]

Oh, I wouldn't be entering till 2011 for a start.
Besides I'm not becoming a priest. That document we spoke about didn't mention the consecrated life only ordination.

Most of the monks of whom I know are priests, so I didn't know if it was your intention to receive the Sacrament of Order.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1878863' date='May 30 2009, 11:35 PM']Most of the monks of whom I know are priests, so I didn't know if it was your intention to receive the Sacrament of Order.[/quote]

Ahh, I see. Silly to presume. The brotherhood and priesthood are two different vocations.

Edited by OraProMe

Not to be rude, but, don't most orders have fairly rigorous psychological examinations which one must pass in order to enter?

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1878882' date='May 30 2009, 10:57 PM']Not to be rude, but, don't most orders have fairly rigorous psychological examinations which one must pass in order to enter?[/quote]

-sigh-

You can't help yourself can you?

I have no psychological problems.
I resent the implication that I'm "sneaking" into an order or being homosexual means I am mentally unstable.
I suffer from SSA and have united my sufferings with the Cross. It's not going to get in the road of me persuing my vocation.

Edited by OraProMe

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1878895' date='May 31 2009, 12:06 AM']-sigh-

You can't help yourself can you?

I have no psychological problems.
I resent the implication that I'm "sneaking" into an order or being homosexual means I am mentally unstable.
I suffer from SSA and have united my sufferings with the Cross. It's not going to get in the road of me persuing my vocation.[/quote]

SSA is a psychological disorder...

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1878904' date='May 31 2009, 12:14 AM']SSA is a psychological disorder...[/quote]

I have spoken with my priest about this, I think I might take his advice over yours.
Show me one document that says those with SSA may not enter religious orders.
Can you? No. So your comments really have no basis.

You're a 15 year old kid, so much knowledge but so little experience. There is more to the faith than ancient documents and latin.

Now please, unless you want to be helpful do not post in this thread again.

goodbye.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1878904' date='May 31 2009, 12:14 AM']SSA is a psychological disorder...[/quote]

Besides Resurrexi:

[i]American Psychological Association (APA):
Is homosexuality a mental disorder?

No, lesbian, gay, and bisexual orientations are not disorders. Research has found no inherent association between any of these sexual orientations and psychopathology.[/i]

As well as:

[i]2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. [b]Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained.[/b] Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,1 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."2 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
[/i]

Neither the APA or the Church state it is a psychological disorder. A disorder of desires? Sure.
But psychological to the extent it becomes a disorder?

Edited by OraProMe

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1878910' date='May 31 2009, 12:18 AM']I have spoken with my priest about this, I think I might take his advice over yours.
Show me one document that says those with SSA may not enter religious orders.
Can you? No. So your comments really have no basis.

You're a 15 year old kid, so much knowledge but so little experience. There is more to the faith than ancient documents and latin.

Now please, unless you want to be helpful do not post in this thread again.

goodbye.[/quote]

Unless you are a moderator, you should not tell me not to post anywhere in phatmass.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1878936' date='May 31 2009, 01:46 AM']Unless you are a moderator, you should not tell me not to post anywhere in phatmass.[/quote]

Aww, just let him be. This isn't a debate forum anyways.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1878936' date='May 30 2009, 11:46 PM']Unless you are a moderator, you should not tell me not to post anywhere in phatmass.[/quote]

I didn't tell you not to post here, I told you not to post unhelpful stuff.

This is about my vocation to the brotherhood. Not SSA or psychology. Please, stay on topic.
The Church has never said that those with SSA may not join religious orders. And unless my homosexual tendencies prove to be transitory I wont be seeking ordination.

It's not a matter of not being a moderator, I just thought you might have enough decency to not drag my SSA's into everything I do. It's not for you to decide who is good enough to enter the religious life. There is no reason why my homosexuality should stand in the way of me persuing this vocation.

I'm so happy that Mother Church is far wiser and more charitable than you are.
So seriously, leave me be.

Edited by OraProMe