An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

I need to make a flier and bulletin article on appropriate dress for Mass. Our parish is excessively casual (denim and short shorts are common). I need two lists - one for appropriate dress and one for inappropriate dress that I can post in the church. Something like this has the capacity to tick a lot of people off so it has to be done sensitive to that and not just look like "opinion". I don't blame the people who dress casually - we have an iconoclastic nave and sanctuary which contributes to the relaxed atmosphere. Ideas? Especially for quotes at the beginning and end of the list. I have my own, but someone might have something better here.

Brother Adam

What I have so far, what I most often see people in here.

Not appropriate:

Denim • Jeans • Shorts • Tank Tops • Spaghetti Straps • Capri’s • Tennis Shoes • Flip Flops • T-shirts

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1881810' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:09 AM']What I have so far, what I most often see people in here.

Not appropriate:

Denim • Jeans • Shorts • Tank Tops • Spaghetti Straps • Capri’s • Tennis Shoes • Flip Flops • T-shirts[/quote]

May I suggest you limit your list to the most offensive items-- flip flops, tank tops, bra straps, short shorts/mini skirts, spaghetti straps.... and lay off the rest? I think if your list gets too long, people will not listen at all. Just saying.

point out that both men and women should dress modestly so as not to....distract one another when they should be focusing on Christ.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1881810' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:09 AM']What I have so far, what I most often see people in here.

Not appropriate:

Denim • Jeans • Shorts • Tank Tops • Spaghetti Straps • Capri’s • Tennis Shoes • Flip Flops • T-shirts[/quote]
You have to do this slowly, so cut out the most outrageous stuff first - short shorts, spagetti straps, minidresses, flip-flops.

Archaeology cat

You can always use the sign for entry into St Peter's: [url="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1368/544332109_b47e7e8e46.jpg"]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1368/544332109_b47e7e8e46.jpg[/url]

I've never been in any Catholic Church where I didn't see denim, including at the extraordinary form. That's going to be a very very hard sell.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1881810' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:09 AM']What I have so far, what I most often see people in here.

Not appropriate:

Wow, that sounds pretty strict. How about loosening up a bit, since it seems you are starting from 'anything goes'...

There is a big difference between a t-shirt and spaghetti straps. Capris are about the same length as skirts (actually, often longer.) Summer is here and it's hot after all...jeans are worn almost everywhere, and if they are in good condition, what's the problem? I know some guys that only have tennis shoes, and these are commonly worn with dressy-casual stuff like khakis.

This has potential to really get people's back up, and stir the pot. It might be helpful to preface 'guidelines' with something that gets people thinking about what it means to come to mass. I think people might be more inclined to 'dress their best' if they thought more deeply about what is happening at the mass. Maybe a set of questions that people can ask themselves when they choose what to wear, rather than a stict list of what not to wear.

As much as some would like to see everyone in suits, dresses, and shiny shoes etc. it should be remembered that 'nice clothes' may mean something different to everyone. Personally, I sometimes wear jeans and a tunic dress to mass, because that is what feels like the "best" I have...it is decent, comfortable, and what I would want to wear to meet anyone who was personally important and dear to me...

Edited by jumpfrog

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1881819' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:26 AM']I've never been in any Catholic Church where I didn't see denim, including at the extraordinary form. That's going to be a very very hard sell.[/quote]
Denim is a fabric-- not an item of clothing, so I'm going to agree with Terra on this.

I think it would be wise to determine (realistically) what is distracting at mass and what is merely not as dressed up as you would like. Ask people not to wear what's distracting and let them handle the rest.

Brother Adam

I knew this topic would stir controversy. :smokey:

Mass clothing was not a problem for most before Mass became a social event. Even those who were poor almost always had Sunday clothes. My list is not strict, and is actually very short. My inclination is to simply say "dress as if were to have a formal meeting with the Holy Father" since having a meeting with the Pope ranks fairly low next to meeting Jesus at Mass. The problem with that is I'm fairly certain many lay Catholics would go to such a meeting in flip flops and a tank top. :) I also think there is a difference between daily Mass and Sunday Mass. Even I have gone to daily Mass in denim running to St. Peter's after work in Steubenville. I also agree that people need to understand what the Mass is to help them dress more appropriately. That takes time as well, but why I asked for quotes. Right now I have one from VII and one from Mother Teresa.

Edited by Brother Adam

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1881808' date='Jun 3 2009, 06:57 AM']I need to make a flier and bulletin article on appropriate dress for Mass. Our parish is excessively casual (denim and short shorts are common). I need two lists - one for appropriate dress and one for inappropriate dress that I can post in the church. Something like this has the capacity to tick a lot of people off so it has to be done sensitive to that and not just look like "opinion". I don't blame the people who dress casually - we have an iconoclastic nave and sanctuary which contributes to the relaxed atmosphere. Ideas? Especially for quotes at the beginning and end of the list. I have my own, but someone might have something better here.[/quote]
I was giving this a little more thought, and thinking about how I would react to a parish that published a list of acceptable/unacceptable clothing items, along with a bulletin item on appropriate dress. I think it not only has the capacity to tick people off, but to hurt people and to cause division. If I were you, I would focus on modesty as a concept, maybe talking a little about the history of modest guidelines, and the reasons behind it.

One creative approach might be to do a fashion show, having people wear different outfits (all appropriate) and talk about why they are appropriate. Be really sensitive to the fact that people are not all working out of the same pocketbook or dress code assumptions, and that hitting too hard on too rigid a standard may have the end effect of driving people away.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1881832' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:45 AM']I think it not only has the capacity to tick people off, but to hurt people and to cause division. If I were you, I would focus on modesty as a concept, maybe talking a little about the history of modest guidelines, and the reasons behind it.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
ditto.

i liked whomever said about why we should focus on dressing modestly so as to not cause scandal to our brothers and sisters during Mass.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1881830' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:44 AM']My list is not strict, and is actually very short.[/quote]
Hmmm. Well, if the sign AC posted is correct (and I believe it is because I have seen it before), even the Vatican does not prevent people from entry based on wearing jeans or capri pants.

Mass is not a formal meeting with the Holy Father, but even if it were even the Holy Father is not as restrictive as you are being.

Edited by Terra Firma

Not appropriate:

Capri’s[/quote]

I don't see how Capri's are inappropriate? Could you explain this one?

I have several pairs of dress slacks that are Capri's pants.

IrishSalesian

Even in the seminary, it is only required that we wear pants at Mass. We don't have women there, so I do not know what they should wear. But as long as men wore just pants, where is the problem?