An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

franciscanheart

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883085' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:55 PM']As for the weight comment, that was rather taken out of context, and I'm sorry that you view me as being that type of person. As I said, when I said I look better now than I ever did when I got married (only once, thank you), I simply meant that my outward appearance, because of the weight loss (close to 100 pounds) and that I actually dress better now (because of the respect that I have gained for myself) than I did then, but that's completely off topic.[/quote]
:idontknow: I only asked. Pretty sure you're the one that brought it up.

Since we are making exceptions for people who do not have time to go change and people who can not afford it, or a litany of other reasons, why then would we want to post a list of things you may an dmay not wear. Such a list would make someone who must come to churhc in those clothes feel outcase and self conscious.

Clothes seem like such a silly thing to be arguing about. Modesty is how we show respect for God and his creation (our bodies). Anything beyond is vanity.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1883095' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:01 PM']:idontknow: I only asked. Pretty sure you're the one that brought it up.[/quote]

Again, it was a very bad attempt to lighten the mood, one which I must say failed terribly.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883096' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:03 PM']Since we are making exceptions for people who do not have time to go change and people who can not afford it, or a litany of other reasons, why then would we want to post a list of things you may an dmay not wear. Such a list would make someone who must come to churhc in those clothes feel outcase and self conscious.

Clothes seem like such a silly thing to be arguing about. Modesty is how we show respect for God and his creation (our bodies). Anything beyond is vanity.[/quote]

You can get a nice outfit from GoodWill for under ten dollars (or less) ;)

The argument exists because our outward appearance does have an effect to the respect that we show. Why do we wear jeans and tennis shoes? Is it the "come as you are" argument? Come as you are: bring your burdens, your troubles, but don't come as though you see God as your chum because He isn't.

^This is paraphrased from a previous post in which I quoted a religious brother.

Edited by Mrs. Bro. Adam

dominicansoul

[quote]the franciscan friars of the renewal go before Him several times a day in gray cloth and worn sandals... sometimes bare feet. the same cloth and sandals that they lounge in, that they work in, that they play in. hmmm...[/quote]

and this is why I'm Dominican... :lol_roll:

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883098' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:04 PM']You can get a nice outfit from GoodWill for under ten dollars (or less) ;)[/quote]

And what of the other reasons that people have said excuse someone from dressing "respectfully?"

franciscanheart

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883092' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:59 PM'][s]Laura:

Shop discounted and thrift stores ;) I'm sure one can afford those prices ;)[/s]

Misunderstood your last post.[/quote]
It was just a "what if," not reality. I'm sure y'all would have something to say about the condition of my secondhand clothing anyway. Better just avoid going to Mass with any of you.

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1883094' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:01 PM']Again, i'll have to say that i don't think most wedding dresses are appropriate for any Mass, wedding nuptial or otherwise. (Please, no name-calling).

Religious Brothers and Sisters who wear a habit are always putting on their best for the Lord, which is the concept some people are trying to get at in this thread. The fact that they wear a habit only confirms the idea that what we wear is important and portrays to others a bit about who we are. i don't know of any Religious communities that have a sleeveless dress of gauze as their habit, btw.[/quote]
Nope. But now the point is more about modesty and respect for the body than it is what exactly you are wearing, which is what I was getting at when I brought up the idea of a simple habit.

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883096' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:03 PM']Since we are making exceptions for people who do not have time to go change and people who can not afford it, or a litany of other reasons, why then would we want to post a list of things you may an dmay not wear. Such a list would make someone who must come to churhc in those clothes feel outcase and self conscious.

Clothes seem like such a silly thing to be arguing about. Modesty is how we show respect for God and his creation (our bodies). Anything beyond is vanity.[/quote]
:twothumbsup:

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883097' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:03 PM']Again, it was a very bad attempt to lighten the mood, one which I must say failed terribly.[/quote]
No kidding.

And did you say before that you were trying to lighten the mood? Don't think you did. (That is, unless you edited that post too.) Pretty sure you said something about having more respect for yourself now that you're thinner or something. Don't remember. Something about fat people not dressing respectfully for Mass? :idontknow:

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883096' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:03 PM']Since we are making exceptions for people who do not have time to go change and people who can not afford it, or a litany of other reasons, why then would we want to post a list of things you may an dmay not wear. Such a list would make someone who must come to churhc in those clothes feel outcase and self conscious.[/quote]

i think the DRE who started this thread is trying to reach the people who are not exceptions to the rule (i.e., they're not coming to Mass straight from the hospital on Sunday) but who may be poorly catechized about what is appropriate for Sunday Mass.

If it makes them self-conscious one week, that's not necessarily a bad thing, because maybe it will get them thinking about what it is they are showing up to every week. If they are a visitor and see some guidelines and thoughts about modesty/reverence, they might take note and think, "Wow - wonder what it is going on here that's important enough to dress up for..."

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883101' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:07 PM']And what of the other reasons that people have said excuse someone from dressing "respectfully?"[/quote]

The, "I come from work", "I'm pregnant"? If you read through the thread, you will see that those have already been addressed. It has been said over and over that there are certain extenuating circumstances in which being in jeans would be appropriate because of the inability to dress otherwise.

The bulk of the discussion has been with those who have the time and means to dress in clothes other than jeans and tennis shoes in mind. ;)

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883098' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:04 PM']You can get a nice outfit from GoodWill for under ten dollars (or less) ;)

The argument exists because our outward appearance does have an effect to the respect that we show. Why do we wear jeans and tennis shoes? Is it the "come as you are" argument? Come as you are: bring your burdens, your troubles, but don't come as though you see God as your chum because He isn't.

^This is paraphrased from a previous post in which I quoted a religious brother.[/quote]

Teh come as you are arguement exists because GOD accepts you as you are. It is irrelevant if YOU accept the guy in jeans and tennis shoes. People were those things because they are comfortable and able to focus on the reason they are at Mass.

Edit: Sorry I forgot the ;)

Edited by VoTeckam

franciscanheart

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1883100' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:07 PM']and this is why I'm Dominican... :lol_roll:[/quote]
:lol_sign:

dominicansoul

*sigh*

When the Lord asks for reverence at the banquet of the King, He expects it...

when someone came dressed inappropriately, and the Lord questioned him on it...
he could not respond... there was no response for his inadequate clothing...and the Lord dispatched him pretty quickly...

no such luck in this thread... :topsy:

Edited by dominicansoul

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1883102' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:08 PM']And did you say before that you were trying to lighten the mood? Don't think you did. (That is, unless you edited that post too.) Pretty sure you said something about having more respect for yourself now that you're thinner or something. Don't remember. Something about fat people not dressing respectfully for Mass? :idontknow:[/quote]

If I didn't, I apologize. Lack of sleep will lead to thinking you did things that you didn't do ;)

Laura, please point out where I said those who weigh more than others don't dress respectfully. I was speaking about myself, not generalizing.

I'm still waiting for a good reason as to why it is appropriate to dress for Mass in jeans and tennis shoes when there is not an extenuating circumstance ;)

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883105' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:10 PM']Teh come as you are arguement exists because GOD accepts you as you are. It is irrelevant if YOU accept the guy in jeans and tennis shoes. People were those things because they are comfortable and able to focus on the reason they are at Mass.

Edit: Sorry I forgot the ;)[/quote]

Yes, God accepts us as we are, but that is referring to who we are inside (poor, lowly, sad, joyous, burden layden), but He deserves all our respect. We should not dress as though we are going to see a friend. I cannot say it as eloquently as the religious brother I quoted a few pages back.

franciscanheart

maybe you and adam should just stand at the door and tell people to go home if you don't deem them dressed well enough to enter the house of the Lord. wonder what God will say about THAT one. might as well. might make you feel better too.

and while you're at it, why don't you tell them how little respect they have for God! yeah!! hit 'em with a double-whammy. that'll REALLY get 'em thinking!

i'm not arguing against a PRIEST informing his PARISHONERS about respect for their bodies as temples of the holy spirit. i AM arguing against lay people JUDGING other people based on what the BELIEVE to be true. you don't know croutons about anyone's intentions or means. you may think you do. you don't.

catechizing is one thing. judging is quite another.

if the eucharist is as important as you claim, you should focus on that, and not the harley davidson shirt in the fifth pew.