An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1881891' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:41 AM']From the mouth of Mrs. Bro. Adam:

If you're not dressed appropriately enough to meet a President, how can you call yourself dressed appropriately enough to meet the King of Kings?[/quote]

Hey, I didn't write that! Get your own screenname!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1881889' date='Jun 3 2009, 04:38 PM']Ideally I would like to see a plaque put up that has some kind of quote to help people realize the sanctity of the place they have entered. In the mean time though it's going to drive me insane if I keep going to Mass and seeing behinds and cleavage spilling out everywhere.[/quote]

I hear ya!
God bless you for wanting to do something about it, but also for looking at your motives clearly. It's inspirational to me to see it here on the phorum :)

Excelsior1027

[quote name='jumpfrog' post='1881864' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:01 AM']Even Sunday mass...[b]a lot of what is happening is internal (hopefully this is true), not only external[/b]. Clothes should be modest and decent, but don't expect everyone to come like they are going to a wedding or something...[/quote]
Yes, but keep in mind, what is external has an effect on what is internal. We have beautiful churches with beautiful architecture and artwork and we have priests wear beautiful vestments and we have physical postures and behaviors such as kneeling and genuflecting, and all these physical, exterior things aid the interior in praying the Mass. We are both physical and spiritual beings, and those two parts of us are closely linked.

Edited by Excelsior1027

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1881891' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:41 AM']From the mouth of Mrs. Bro. Adam:

If you're not dressed appropriately enough to meet a President, how can you call yourself dressed appropriately enough to meet the King of Kings?[/quote]

I wrote that. I must say, however, that it is very disturbing when laymen come up to me after I've cantored and have told me that I'm too dressed up for Mass. :unsure:

All I wear is a nice skirt below the knees, or business slacks, and a nice shirt that covers my flesh, and that's too dressed up? :shock:

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1881889' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:38 AM']Having the pastor address it is the only way to see any wide spread change. Bulletin articles and postings do accomplish some limited good though and that is the limit of my ability to address the parish as a whole instead of individual classes. I've been "hurting feelings" when it is prudent for two years now. I have no problem with that, it works great and some of my closest allies are those who's feelings I had to hurt at one time or another. If my own spiritual director didn't hurt my feelings every time I went to see him I would be no closer to God.

Ideally I would like to see a plaque put up that has some kind of quote to help people realize the sanctity of the place they have entered. In the mean time though it's going to drive me insane if I keep going to Mass and seeing behinds and cleavage spilling out everywhere.[/quote]

Believe me Adam, I understand your frustration with immodest, inappropriate dress. Personally I would have the Pastor address it first and then follow up with bulletin articles and postings. As a parishioner I would be a little offended to read it in the bulletin without first hearing it from the Pastor. All I know is to prepare your parish office for calls, because no matter how well you handle it and how careful you are you will have several calls about it. Be sure the entire staff is well acquainted with the guidelines and can answer questions regarding proper dress. My experience with parishioners is they expect everyone in the parish office to know what is going on with everything.

fides quarens intellectum

Brother Adam,

First of all, THANK YOU!!!! Thank you for trying to make your parish more respectful and reverent. It is, after all, The Banquet that people are showing up to, so your desire to try to guide people into dressing appropriately is very, very refreshing! Our society is so casual that few things are even deemed worth dressing up for anymore - I think what you are trying to do is wonderful. All glory to God.

I had come across these a few weeks ago - they might help:
[url="http://www.colleenhammond.com/pdf/dwd-outfit-guidelines.pdf"]A link about guidelines[/url], and [url="http://www.national-coalition.org/modesty/modnorms.html"]this one has quotes[/url]

btw - don't let the "But it will offend someone!" kind of comments drag you down - there's something to be said for fraternal correction done charitably. If i had to guess, most of the people you see at Sunday Mass "spilling out" are not even slightly aware that they are doing anything distracting to others or disrespectful to the Eucharist.

Peace in Christ,
-fides

Edited by fides quarens intellectum

Yeah I think proper dress starts with the staff and people participating in the Mass. They set the standard for the rest of the parish. I think if you address lectors, ushers, etc. privately and set a strict dress code with them, that will go a long way toward changing the tone, and I think that's entirely appropriate. You can couple that with a broader effort to raise awareness about the nature and purpose of the Mass and about modesty.

Groo the Wanderer

A paraphrase from a priest addressing our youth on proper attire for Mass, directed specifically to the ladies:

When the priest is giving communion, he should look at you and say "The Body of Christ" and not be distracted by your attire so as to say [spoiler]An explative that rearranges the words a bit, but that is not appropriate for Phatmass even with the spoiler[/spoiler]

...or it that over the top? covered it up just in case....

Excelsior1027

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1881934' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:03 AM']A paraphrase from a priest addressing our youth on proper attire for Mass, directed specifically to the ladies:

When the priest is giving communion, he should look at you and say "The Body of Christ" and not be distracted by your attire so as to say

...or it that over the top? covered it up just in case....[/quote]
:lol_pound:

I'd like to chime in on the denim issue:

If I was told not to wear my nice black denim jeans, I'd go to Mass elsewhere. There's Parishes out there that can be modest, but not picky.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1881934' date='Jun 3 2009, 12:03 PM']A paraphrase from a priest addressing our youth on proper attire for Mass, directed specifically to the ladies:

When the priest is giving communion, he should look at you and say "The Body of Christ" and not be distracted by your attire so as to say [spoiler]Nothing to see here... [/spoiler]

...or it that over the top? covered it up just in case....[/quote]

Um I am rarely a prude... but did a Church Militant just use the Lord's name in vain? I get it was just a joke and even blacked out but I am of an age and position in life where I can always handle the blacked out bits within posts and I am still offended.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Being brought up, the rule of thumb given to us about dressing to come into the presence of Christ was:

If you wouldn't wear it to meet a President (or another high leader), then you shouldn't be wearing it to church!

It's interesting how newspapers wrote article asking if it was appropriate for an All American softball team wearing 'fancy' flipflops was respectful for meeting the President, yet when we are in the presence of Christ, the one who give all for us, including his life, we so many times turn a blind eye to the disrespectful dress that is too often seen at Mass....

ETA: Link to story:
[url="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/8628616/"]Flips Flops at White house[/url]

Edited by Mrs. Bro. Adam

In our parish, the following sign appears in English and Spanish at each of the doors. Additionally, there is a card in each pew titled "In this Holy place" which reminds the people about no food, no gum, and that poorly behaved children will be sold into slavery ( or something about the crying rooms ).

DRESS CODE FOR MASS When you come to church, you must be conscious of your attire. The following are guidelines when attending or serving as a Liturgical Minister:

Ladies Gentlemen
 Dresses or blouses must cover the shoulder, back & the chest. When bending over, we do not want to see your chest.
 Skirts or dresses must cover the knee or approach the ankle (Not touching the floor)
 Dress Slacks are appropriate.
 No Tennis shoes or Flip Flops.
 Polo or button up shirt
 Shirts should fit appropriately, not too large, not too small.
 Slacks NO Jeans.

Edited by Dan