An Old School Catholic Message Board

Twilight Novels

Guest KevinSymonds

That's funny! I think fanfic is a valid art form, if you can do it right. FanFiction.net is disgraceful, though. Probably because it's populated by a bunch of teenyboppers with no talent.

Am I sounding like a curmudgeon? :annoyed:

[quote name='MissyP89' date='25 November 2009 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1259181526' post='2009379']
That's funny! I think fanfic is a valid art form, if you can do it right. FanFiction.net is disgraceful, though. Probably because it's populated by a bunch of teenyboppers with no talent.

Am I sounding like a curmudgeon? :annoyed:
[/quote]
Yep. Better than me though; I'm biased against all kinds of fanfiction.

[quote name='MissyP89' date='25 November 2009 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1259180856' post='2009371']
And as far as vampire novels go, I've never been a fan. I hate vampire stories; they all seem so silly to me. That's probably a bit strange when you consider that high fantasy is one of my favorite genres for both reading and writing.

...I prefer succubi. :mellow:
[/quote]
Orly? :lol:

You just haven't found anyone who can actually write. :yes: Phil and I have a friend Tricia who does some amazing work with BSG and Stargate.

likewise to L_D's support group. christie coerced me into reading one of the books and i got into it, and finished the series. still dislike it though, mostly.

i would add Robert Jordan to the list of talented and original fantasy writers.

Edited by Jesus_lol

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='25 November 2009 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1259182078' post='2009389']
Missy, do you read and of the following:
Terry Goodkind; Raymond E. Feist; George R.R. Martin; Terry Brooks?
[/quote]

Heard of them all, but admittedly not read them. I've heard particularly good things about Goodkind. Would you recommend something? Christmas is coming, and my Mom is forever complaining I never give her enough ideas. :lol:

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='25 November 2009 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1259181993' post='2009386']
Orly? :lol:
[/quote]

You have [i]no[/i] idea. :woot:

[quote name='MissyP89' date='25 November 2009 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1259182465' post='2009391']
Heard of them all, but admittedly not read them. I've heard particularly good things about Goodkind. Would you recommend something? Christmas is coming, and my Mom is forever complaining I never give her enough ideas. :lol:
[/quote]
I'd recommend Wizard's First Rule by Goodkind, The Sword of Shannara by Brooks, A Game of Thrones by Martin, and Magician: Apprentice by Feist. :)
I consider them all exceptional, although Goodkind I read when I was a lot younger. Not sure if I'd be as into them now (not that they're kid books or anything.)

ive read and reread the Goodkind books, they hold up well. he also recently finished the series if you dont like waiting for books. highly recommended.

ehh, i didnt like the Shannara series. it always seemed that whenever the main characters got into a situation they almost magically produce items to help.

"oh no we are surrounded by 37 night dwarf trolls!"

"oh wait, i totally forgot to mention i packed 37 bottles of magic night dwarf troll repellant at the start of the journey, just in case! even though i am only remembering now, after we have had the croutons kicked out of us for the last hour!"

Game of Thrones is really good literature and a good series. he goes out of his way to keep the readers on edge and isnt afraid to sacrifice main characters to do it. s instead of a "wow i wonder what magical sword move plot device he is gonna use to get out of this?" its more like "oh man i hope this guy doesnt die he is a good- WAS a good character. dang!"

Robin Hobb is a terrific writer as well and has several interesting series. definitely my new favourite.

i have probably read the Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan, back to back(all 11 or so books so far, 1000 pages each) about 10 times('nuff said) and i still love it, find new things etc. very deep and rich writing.

Edited by Jesus_lol

Yea, like I said, it's been a while since I read Shannara....... I seem to remember some pretty good story quality and character development though. Terry Brooks is really all about the world he's created. I forget the literary term for that, but it's really quite detailed. It's a lot like a less famous Lord of the Rings in a lot of ways. very *big* stories, if you know what I'm trying to get at.