An Old School Catholic Message Board

Twilight Novels

Guest KevinSymonds

Guest KevinSymonds

Hi Everyone! I wanted to tell you that an article I wrote about the [i]Twilight[/i] novels has attracted the attention of [url="http://www.catholicexchange.com"]www.catholicexchange.com[/url] and they may publish it soon.

More as it develops.

In the meantime, what is your take on the [i]Twilight[/i] novels?

-KJS

[quote name='Luthien' post='1881904' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:49 AM']Lol, my husband and I were just talking about it. We think its hokey. :mellow:[/quote]
:yes: hokey is the right word.

I haven't read them, honestly, because they seem like teen romance novels with a vampire twist. I have friends that love them and that's how they describe them. Blech. I like fantasy typically, but vampires are not my thing. Dragons, elves, wizards -- bring it on. But not vampires.

Excelsior1027

As the above said: Hokey. Blech.

This is one of those subjects I could have a tirade about, so for now I'll just keep it to that...

icelandic_iceskater

lol I've gotten into so many twilight debates, it's not funny.

But I've never read the books (nor do I intend to)

My basic consensus is that it is not objectively morally wrong to read them. A few of my friends believe that it's immoral because of a few impure(ish) scenes. If you are a person who easily fantasizes simply from reading a romance novel, then you should stay away. If this is not something that you struggle with, then I don't believe it's wrong to read em. Imho, they're at the most an occasion of sin.

I have neither read them nor seen the movie.

People do seem to like them a lot, so there must be [i]something[/i] to them. But if I'm going to be entertained by stories about vampires, I prefer them to be bloodthirsty villains, not potential romantic partners. Vampirism is meant as a distortion of the natural world, and I am not comfortable with it being presented in a...more normal way.

Ie, my taste runs to Alucard from Hellsing:
[img]http://www.ryvondesigns.com/renders/alucard.jpg[/img]

If I were going to watch a 'teen vampire romance' movie, I'd consider [url="http://www.lettherightoneinmovie.com/"]Let the Right One In[/url]

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1881958' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:16 AM']I have neither read them nor seen the movie.

People do seem to like them a lot, so there must be [i]something[/i] to them. But if I'm going to be entertained by stories about vampires, I prefer them to be bloodthirsty villains, not potential romantic partners. Vampirism is meant as a distortion of the natural world, and I am not comfortable with it being presented in a...more normal way.

Ie, my taste runs to Alucard from Hellsing:
[img]http://www.ryvondesigns.com/renders/alucard.jpg[/img]

If I were going to watch a 'teen vampire romance' movie, I'd consider [url="http://www.lettherightoneinmovie.com/"]Let the Right One In[/url][/quote]

[img]http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/Tbone__1977/vampires.jpg[/img]

tinytherese

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1881926' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:00 AM']lol I've gotten into so many twilight debates, it's not funny.

But I've never read the books (nor do I intend to)

My basic consensus is that it is not objectively morally wrong to read them. A few of my friends believe that it's immoral because of a few impure(ish) scenes. If you are a person who easily fantasizes simply from reading a romance novel, then you should stay away. If this is not something that you struggle with, then I don't believe it's wrong to read em. Imho, they're at the most an occasion of sin.[/quote]

That's some of what I would say too. I've read the first three of the series and part of the fourth one but stopped part way through because of how disturbing it got. When I read the series I felt as if my sense of morality was being tempted to be twisted and one of the books had a negative psychological and spiritual affect on me. (That's somewhat personal though.)

The character of Edward the vampire is a rather disturbing boyfriend for Bella. [spoiler]He forces her to do some things (not sexual but just stuff that she doesn't want to do even attempting to force her to have an abortion.) he listens in on her conversations with other people, sneaks into her room at night without her father knowing about it, he hangs around her house and listens to her sleep and informs her that she is interesting entertainment in that regard, wrecks her truck and replaces it with a car that he prefers instead, and holds her hostage with his adopted sister. Does that sound [/spoiler][spoiler]like a healthy relationship or an abusive one?[/spoiler] The character of Bella is psychotic, co-dependent on Edward, has an incredibly low self esteem, [spoiler]marries Edward so that she can sleep with him and so that he'll be the one to change her into a vampire, and is willing to sacrifice her salvation to be with Edward by giving up her soul to be a vampire, and covers up the fact that she is in pain from having sex with Edward that she has gotten bruises from the consumation of their marriage and yet also insists that Edward should stop worrying about the bruises because it he is ruining such a happy moment. [/spoiler]

She definitely has a wrong sense of what real love is. It's not about being all sappy romantic I'll risk anything to be with you even my salvation.

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1881926' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:00 AM']A few of my friends believe that it's immoral because of a few impure(ish) scenes. I[/quote]

:ohno:

That sounds like a good reason not to read them.

Marie-Therese

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1881999' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:40 AM'][img]http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/Tbone__1977/vampires.jpg[/img][/quote]

:lol_roll:

That is classic!!

piano_freak184

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1882191' date='Jun 3 2009, 02:59 PM']:ohno:

That sounds like a good reason not to read them.[/quote]

ANND they are kind of boring. :yawn:

Marie-Therese

Seriously...I saw the first film because my daughter wanted to see it, and I had advice from a female religious that it was not objectionable. The only problem I found with the movie was that it was complete drivel, and an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back.

However, I confess that I have not read the books. Based on tinytherese's description above, I will have to read them myself before allowing my daughter to view any more of this material. If these descriptions are correct, then she will have to be told that the content is in no way appropriate for her.

I always liked a good old fashioned Dracula movie, but Twilight...wow. What intellectually draining tripe. No offense to anyone who likes them, just not my cuppa.

oh wait until new moon.

I think it's the statue of st. joseph (?) in the scene (i saw a pic of the scene and I'm too lazy to go and find it) where all the vampires will "feast" on these pilgrims/tourists in Italy and oh, yeah, eat the "lady with the rosary".

yeah, that part in the book really got on my nerves.

a lady with a rosary. what a hokey book.

there are some things I don't like about the book and then there are some things I really don't like about the book.

and please, don't talk abstinence about this book. That's a load of carp. Big and smelly carp.

but i've done enough talking on this subject over at catholic answers. that's my last rant. however, i will see the movies and see if they follow the books at all.

Edited by jmjtina

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1882208' date='Jun 3 2009, 04:15 PM']I always liked a good old fashioned Dracula movie, but Twilight...wow. [b]What intellectually draining tripe. [/b] No offense to anyone who likes them, just not my cuppa.[/quote]

I haven't watched or read anything within the Twilight series. It does not interest me at allllll. "Intellectually draining tripe" pretty much fits my impression of it to a T. Granted I have read my fair share of tripe, but at least I found it mildly interesting tripe. lol