An Old School Catholic Message Board

Twilight Novels

Guest KevinSymonds

TeresaBenedicta

Poorly written. Only reason it's popular is because of its sappy love drama.

Nothing in comparison to Anne Rice's writings on vampires. Granted, Rice's books are more inappropriate. I was a huge fan before I converted. Now I see how ghastly her morality is... but... I can't help but acknowledge that she's a great writer!

Marie-Therese

What's interesting...I was also a huge Rice fan, and thought [i]Interview[/i] was brilliant. Posed some interesting moral questions. Now, Rice has converted to Catholicism and now writes about Jesus. One more member of the Tiber River Swim Team! LOL She wrote a book about her conversion called [i]Out of Darkness[/i] that I really want to read. She is writing a series about Christ's life from Jesus' point of view. Interesting...

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1882441' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:29 PM']What's interesting...I was also a huge Rice fan, and thought [i]Interview[/i] was brilliant. Posed some interesting moral questions. Now, Rice has converted to Catholicism and now writes about Jesus. One more member of the Tiber River Swim Team! LOL She wrote a book about her conversion called [i]Out of Darkness[/i] that I really want to read. She is writing a series about Christ's life from Jesus' point of view. Interesting...[/quote]

I haven't read [i]Out of Darkness[/i] yet, but I have read the first two books in Christ the Lord. She uses a different style in these than she did in the Vampire Chronicles. But they're still well written. Different, but good.

Twilight sucked. Stephanie Myers is a horrible writer. I love anything and everything vampire, but Twilight was just awful. I prefer to stick with

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/AlgetaTalon/Reference%20Pictures/Vampire%20Hunter%20D/VampireHunterD_0001.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Avatars89/interviewwiththevampire.jpg[/img]

Edited by Kitty

Nihil Obstat

I actually read them all... Not 100% by choice, but it's a long story.

They were poorly written, full of plot holes and poor dialogue and sentence structure, but morally I don't see them being a particularly bad influence. Yea, there were less than perfect parts, but there were also some themes that weren't all that bad.
My inclination would be to call these books morally neutral, but artistically lacking, with emphasis on artistically lacking. :P

Guest KevinSymonds

My article is being split into two halves. The first half will come tomorrow. The other on Monday.

I'll keep y'all posted!

homeschoolmom

I have only heard of them, know of their existance and the basics (vampires + teen novels).

I was picking up hsdaughter from the library yesterday where she is a volunteer. She was going to the reference desk to sign up for the teen summer reading program. The librarian smiled and mentioned that they were having a Twilight discussion group this summer (in addition to their other stuff) and she gestured to the display. HSD looked like she'd been invited to eat a can of fish bait. I don't think she's ever heard of Twilight.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1884475' date='Jun 5 2009, 07:10 PM']The [i]Twilight [/i]movie was decent.[/quote]
I'll believe *that* when I see it. Haha.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1884469' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:00 PM']I have only heard of them, know of their existance and the basics (vampires + teen novels).

I was picking up hsdaughter from the library yesterday where she is a volunteer. She was going to the reference desk to sign up for the teen summer reading program. The librarian smiled and mentioned that they were having a Twilight discussion group this summer (in addition to their other stuff) and she gestured to the display. HSD looked like she'd been invited to eat a can of fish bait. I don't think she's ever heard of Twilight.[/quote]

lol My kids get that look when people ask them if they like Hannah Montana.

Theologian in Training

I tried reading the first one, but, having a BA in English has ruined me, because I could not get through the first few pages given how many grammatical errors and poorly written sentences there were. If Stephenie is not going to bother to write well, I am not going to bother reading her books.

Edited by Theologian in Training

Nihil Obstat

I don't have a heck of a lot of formal training in grammar, but what I do know is that I constantly had to reread sentences because they just didn't seem to make sense. :P

Excelsior1027

What I don't get is how the character of Edward is being seen as some chaste, virtuous gentleman. I mean, he sneaks in to Bella's room at night and watches her sleep for fun...doesn't that sound more like a stalker to you? If I was a dad and my daughter was being watched by some creepy dude, I'd be pulling out the ol' Louisville slugger. :club:

Edited by Excelsior1027

HisChildForever

Never read the series because I have absolutely NO interest to. I am a HUGE vampire "fan" though. Anne Rice, Bram Stoker, and [b]TOTAL[/b] BtVS & AtS junkie. Twilight looks like a JOKE in comparison. I did see the first movie (watched it online), and it was just pitiful.