An Old School Catholic Message Board

Twilight Novels

Guest KevinSymonds

Nihil Obstat

I just hate how Twilight has become the new bible for teenage girls who say they like vampires.

Seriously. Holy Water is the perfect antidote. ;)

HisChildForever

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1884704' date='Jun 6 2009, 12:58 AM']I just hate how Twilight has become the new bible for teenage girls who say they like vampires.

Seriously. Holy Water is the perfect antidote. ;)[/quote]

ARGH, it's even WORSE when said teenage girls act as if they are all cool and rebellious for "loving" Edward. Lame, lame, lame. The book is NOT about vampires, it's about a "tragic" adolescent romance. There has to be that "tragic" or forbidden element to it, so why not make it about a vampire?? Her version of what a vampire is is pretty sad too.

Nihil Obstat

Agreed^10

Edward is only a vampire so that she can make him 'perfect' and maintain a plotline that isn't (in her mind) completely pathetically self indulgent. Know what I mean? If she made him a regular person that was as (again, in her mind) perfect as Edward is supposed to be, it would be unrealistic, even by her miniscule standards. Since he's a vampire though, she gets to break that rule.

Nihil Obstat

Warning: mature humour... and when I say mature, I mean potentially inappropriate. It's actually pretty immature in terms of intelligence.

[url="http://www.xkcd.com/591/"]XKCD meets Stephanie Meyer[/url]

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1884722' date='Jun 6 2009, 12:14 AM']Pathetically self-indulgent, ROFL.[/quote]
I should be clear: I think it's that already, but I'm talking about from her own perspective. Even she has some standards. I think.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1884724' date='Jun 6 2009, 01:15 AM']I should be clear: I think it's that already, but I'm talking about from her own perspective. Even she has some standards. I think.[/quote]

Lol, you don't need to clarify yourself Nihil.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1884710' date='Jun 6 2009, 02:01 AM']ARGH, it's even WORSE when said teenage girls act as if they are all cool and rebellious for "loving" Edward. Lame, lame, lame. The book is NOT about vampires, it's about a "tragic" adolescent romance. There has to be that "tragic" or forbidden element to it, so why not make it about a vampire?? Her version of what a vampire is is pretty sad too.[/quote]

Didn't Shakespeare do this already, minus the Vampire?

HisChildForever

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1884727' date='Jun 6 2009, 01:18 AM']Didn't Shakespeare do this already, minus the Vampire?[/quote]

Hence my use of quotations around tragic. It wants to be some great romance, but it falls flat on its face.

Edited by HisChildForever

One of the things that are bad about Twlight is bad about vampires in general .....they're the bad guys......our culture has so messed up the thought of wrong and right.

WisdomSeeker

I've heard of them but I haven't read them. A lot of my friends think that they are great and that the film is really good. Somehow I don't think that they are my cup of tea.

Guest KevinSymonds

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1884681' date='Jun 6 2009, 12:25 AM']I tried reading the first one, but, having a BA in English has ruined me, because I could not get through the first few pages given how many grammatical errors and poorly written sentences there were. If Stephenie is not going to bother to write well, I am not going to bother reading her books.[/quote]

I was aghast at the number of split infinitives and whole words missing.

Change of plans: article will be published on Monday.

Edited by KevinSymonds

homeschoolmom

[quote name='KevinSymonds' post='1884838' date='Jun 6 2009, 10:32 AM']I was aghast at the number of split infinitives and whole words missing.

Change of plans: article will be published on Monday.[/quote]
This reminds me of a couple of things... When my ds was younger, we were reading a "First Steps" or some such novel together. IT WAS SO HORRIBLY WRITTEN. It had lots of sentences. Like this. After a few pages. I had to chuck it.

Seriously, is that how they are modeling good sentence structure for beginning readers??

The second thing was the thread I started on split infinitives... I'm off to search for it. :hehe:

heavenseeker

not read any of the books but did see that movie, was not impressed by it at all, we pretty much just made fun of how lame it was

alimarie_11

[u][b]nobody should judge any book based on the movie.[/b][/u]

honestly people, the movie was terrible.

i really loved the books untill the came to be tons of screaming 12-17 year-olds over the "hottie" robert pattinson.

bella is a very interesting character..

there actually pretty ohkay books, but know they're a joke.