An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dennis Leary

mulls

I watched the Dennis Leary Roast on Comedy Central tonight. It was not very funny, except for one part...Leary's alleged childhood priest was at the event and made some very funny jokes. Now, I'm not sure if this was a fake (I wouldn't be surprised), but they way it played off seemed very genuine. If it was an really an actor, it was somebody who I didn't recognize.

Just wondering if anyone knew if it was a real priest, and if it was, what do you think of him being at and participating in such an event?

I just saw that on TV and was thinking about and wondering if anyone would post about it. The only part I saw was the part with his priest and I assume that it was really his priest. I didn't really like it, and I don't think a priest should participate in that type of stuff or make jokes about child-molesting priests, but I'm not gonna judge the priest for it.

I wish I had seen the show....

Once I was having a talk about that joke where Jesus is on the cross and he's like...hey look I can see japan from here...or some nonsense like that and I was so shocked that Catholics could tell jokes about Jesus on the cross...but then all these nuns and priests were telling me that you know....we really have to realise that Jesus rose from the dead and that the passion wasn't all about misery..it was also about laughter and triumph over sadness too...and shouldn't we be able to laugh at ourselves?

I mean I guess if we can laugh at something it means it doesn't have that gripping horrible power over us anymore...it means that we can look at our brokenness objectively and move from there....

what do you think? ;)

big differnece between harmless laughter and disrespetfulness like they had when adam corolla dressed up as a priest for Carson Dalys roast and starting making very in appropriate jokes.

ReformationNow

I think it really was his priest. I'm not totally sure tho. There was something in the show that convinced me that he is. I'm gonna watch it again tonight to be sure.

I think it really was his priest. I'm not totally sure tho. There was something in the show that convinced me that he is. I'm gonna watch it again tonight to be sure.

Lord knows that Comedy Central will air the show a zillion more times. Sheesh.

ReformationNow

The answer is Yes. That was Dennis Leary's priest that appeared on the show. Of this, I am quite certain. How do I know? After Father Don went to sit down, the camera shot over to that hot chick wearing the white dress sitting near Dennis. She leaned over and asked(and I know this because I can read lips) "Is that really a priest?" She paused for a moment to receive the reply, and then says "Really?!" Besides that, the actions and expressions of the comedians when Father Don talked was a clue.

yea, i caught that the first time. that was my main clue as well.

how bout that "a priest, a pedophile, and a rapist walk into a bar..." joke?

Priceless.

but how do you Catholics feel about this priest and his actions? i personally would be outraged.

it didn't seem like he made quite an impact for Christ that night.

I wouldn't say that I'm outraged, but I do not approve.

ReformationNow, you can read lips? That's amesome!! How'd you learn?

ReformationNow

I wouldn't say that I'm outraged, but I do not approve.

ReformationNow, you can read lips? That's amesome!! How'd you learn?

I have a hole in one eardrum which hinders my ability to hear voices speaking in a low tone. Therefore, it became necassary that I learn how to read lips. I'm fairly good at it. :)