An Old School Catholic Message Board

Back From Buffalo Carmel

In The Arms of The Lord

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1888327' date='Jun 11 2009, 08:55 AM']Hmm... wonder if they travel and go to far away parents or just those that live close by.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The Missionaries of Charity do not either... they also only see family once every 10 years. :mellow:[/quote]

Yup. Two weeks of home visit every 10 years.

I tell that to people when they cry over my [i]three weeks every year[/i] (after formation, that is).

Honestly, I don't know any group with as much home visit as my congregation!

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1888336' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:02 AM']I'm very attracted to the MIC life. Its so beautiful. But I know that's not my vocation, and I couldn't do it anyways as I have delicate health. I know I'll only be happy as a Dominican. Plus they have the best outfits.[/quote]

Agreed on all points ;)

Only the best is good enough for the poor, and they can't accept someone with my knee and my allergies. The MCs are really great, though. We don't talk about them enough on VS.

:offtopic: sorry!

In The Arms of The Lord

About the pizza and cupcakes, Sister (Extern Sister Agnes Marie of the Eternal High Priest, there is also a past article about her final profession here on Phatmass,) was telling me how she tries to get Mother to have a lot of celebrations. Sometimes Mother gives in, and sometimes she doesn't. :topsy: She told me a lot of great stories, she's a great woman!

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='Jennifer G.' post='1887916' date='Jun 10 2009, 06:31 PM']Sounds like my diet. :) (I don't like eating that much meat anyway, granted, I'm not much for soups and most salads either.)

What does their fast entail? Is it a normal fast? (that is, only 1 main meal a day, or 1 meal, plus two smaller meals that add up to or less than the main meal).

I had the same thought. I got this mental image of the Carmelite nuns and bishop going out of the convent to Pizza Hut for a pizza. :D

What do they do about family visits? I'm guessing nuns only leave if a family member has died (or is dying?). What about family visiting them?[/quote]

I don't think I asked Mother about the fasts, what they eat and how much. That's definitely something to ask her if you are interested in contacting her. :)

About family contact: You can get one letter a month from only family, friends I think she said once or twice a year; I think she mentioned Christmas. Only your parents, siblings (and sibling's spouse's and kids if they have any), and grandparents are allowed to visit you. I don't think you leave the Monastery at all, except for doctor visits I believe. Or maybe it was that they have a doctor that goes to the Monastery, I heard that mentioned. I guess it depends on the medical situation?

If your family lives close by, they can see you once a month for an hour. If they live far away, they can visit a couple times a year and stay in the guest house. I'm not sure how long they're able to stay and how much they can see you while they're there.

Mother reads all mail before it gets to you, anything that is sent to a sister goes through Mother first.

Edited by In The Arms of The Lord

laetitia crucis

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' post='1886739' date='Jun 8 2009, 10:05 PM']I took about 50 pictures while I was there. I'm going to get them on a disk so I can post them for all that are interested![/quote]

Blessed be God!! I'm so glad your visit went so wonderfully!!!

I would definitely be interested in seeing pictures, too. :photo: :D

Prayers! :sign:

P.S. -- The SSVM (and IVE) has homemade pizza every Friday night! :eat: Yum! It's one of their "traditions". Fridays' breakfast and lunch are for fasting, but dinner is pizza!! :hehe:

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1888229' date='Jun 11 2009, 01:50 AM']A Carmelite dies to the world, and there is a certain detachment from family and friends that is needed to follow Jesus in this way of life.[/quote]

Yes indeed. I know Buffalo Carmel keeps strict Papal Enclosure. I remember also the first time I heard about the Cross the Carmelite nun has in her cell. It's without the Corpus Christi, because it's you on that Cross. It's a complete death to self every moment, to become detached from all possessions and creatures; that Jesus will be your only possession. To forget self and a complete giving of yourself to Jesus. To be hidden in Him like Mary; following Him so closely, having that beautiful intimacy with Him, giving Him a complete yes for His will to be done and to the invitation to love Him more and for a deeper intimacy each moment He gives you, and to have Him overflow from your heart into the hearts of other's. There is such a burning, irresistible pull in my heart for all of this.

I have my pictures developed and I got them on disk so I can post them on here. Most of them came out dark, because the Chapel was dark almost all day except for morning Mass. When they had Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament (Eucharistic Adoration) they kept it dark but put a light shining on the Monstrance. That was beautiful. I will have to see if I can lighten some of the pictures, and then somehow get them on here. :)

Edited by In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' post='1895454' date='Jun 18 2009, 07:26 PM']Yes indeed. I know Buffalo Carmel keeps strict Papal Enclosure. I remember also the first time I heard about the Cross the Carmelite nun has in her cell. It's without the Corpus Christi, because it's you on that Cross. It's a complete death to self every moment, to become detached from all possessions and creatures; that Jesus will be your only possession. To forget self and a complete giving of yourself to Jesus. To be hidden in Him like Mary; following Him so closely, having that beautiful intimacy with Him, giving Him a complete yes for His will to be done and to the invitation to love Him more and for a deeper intimacy each moment He gives you, and to have Him overflow from your heart into the hearts of other's. There is such a burning, irresistible pull in my heart for all of this.[/quote]

sounds Divine :saint:

InHisLove726

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' post='1895454' date='Jun 18 2009, 07:26 PM']Yes indeed. I know Buffalo Carmel keeps strict Papal Enclosure. I remember also the first time I heard about the Cross the Carmelite nun has in her cell. It's without the Corpus Christi, because it's you on that Cross. It's a complete death to self every moment, to become detached from all possessions and creatures; that Jesus will be your only possession. To forget self and a complete giving of yourself to Jesus. To be hidden in Him like Mary; following Him so closely, having that beautiful intimacy with Him, giving Him a complete yes for His will to be done and to the invitation to love Him more and for a deeper intimacy each moment He gives you, and to have Him overflow from your heart into the hearts of other's. There is such a burning, irresistible pull in my heart for all of this.[/quote]

You sound so at peace with the Carmelite vocation. ;) Your words sound very much like St. Therese's, and so I am convinced that you have a vocation to Carmel. I don't have to meet you in person to know that your heart is burning with love for the Divine Bridegroom. :))

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' post='1895454' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:26 AM']Yes indeed. I know Buffalo Carmel keeps strict Papal Enclosure. I remember also the first time I heard about the Cross the Carmelite nun has in her cell. It's without the Corpus Christi, because it's you on that Cross. It's a complete death to self every moment, to become detached from all possessions and creatures; that Jesus will be your only possession. To forget self and a complete giving of yourself to Jesus. To be hidden in Him like Mary; following Him so closely, having that beautiful intimacy with Him, giving Him a complete yes for His will to be done and to the invitation to love Him more and for a deeper intimacy each moment He gives you, and to have Him overflow from your heart into the hearts of other's. There is such a burning, irresistible pull in my heart for all of this.[/quote]

Like... wow. Have you seen The Matrix? That scene where they plug Neo in and seconds later he opens his eyes and says "I know Kung Fu"? Well, I know Carmelite spirituality. After six years of discernment, you wrote it so that I *get* it. (I think I was slightly too young when I read St. Therese's books.)

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1895511' date='Jun 19 2009, 03:52 AM']You sound so at peace with the Carmelite vocation. ;) Your words sound very much like St. Therese's, and so I am convinced that you have a vocation to Carmel. I don't have to meet you in person to know that your heart is burning with love for the Divine Bridegroom. :))[/quote]

:yes:

(Slightly off-topic:)
But... you know what I love [i]so much[/i] that it makes me bounce up and down in my chair in the physics computer lab and the two other people who are not taking an early weekend with this weather are staring at me funny and I've obviously had too much coffee?

This spirituality, of totally dying to self and abandoning yourself in Jesus, is something every Christian should work at and aspire to. Just as the Dominican spirituality of learning God through study and contemplation, and then sharing this knowledge through intercessory prayer or preaching is something we all do, and the Benedictine stuff of balancing prayer and work and finding God in both, and Franciscan poverty, Salesian kindness, and all other charisms. We all practice everything, in that sense.

Yet at the same time each of these elements is so rich that one of them can connect with your soul at a level that it provides enough spiritual nourishment for the rest of your life, and permeates, "gives colour to", all the other things you do, so that we get this enormous kaleidoscope of spiritualities where every community and person uniquely fits somewhere.

Only real life, really lived, can produce such a variety. It is the definite proof that religious life goes so far beyond daily schedules and constitutions.

Excuse me. Went fangirl for a minute :) Back to the Carmelites. Yay Carmelites!

the lords sheep

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1895842' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:36 AM']Like... wow. Have you seen The Matrix? That scene where they plug Neo in and seconds later he opens his eyes and says "I know Kung Fu"? Well, I know Carmelite spirituality. After six years of discernment, you wrote it so that I *get* it. (I think I was slightly too young when I read St. Therese's books.)

:yes:

But... you know what I love [i]so much[/i] that it makes me bounce up and down in my chair in the physics computer lab and the two other people who are not taking an early weekend with this weather are staring at me funny and I've obviously had too much coffee?

This spirituality, of totally dying to self and abandoning yourself in Jesus, is something every Christian should work at and aspire to. Just as the Dominican spirituality of learning God through study and contemplation, and then sharing this knowledge through intercessory prayer or preaching is something we all do, and the Benedictine stuff of balancing prayer and work and finding God in both, and Franciscan poverty, Salesian kindness, and all other charisms. We all practice everything, in that sense.

Yet at the same time each of these elements is so rich that one of them can connect with your soul at a level that it provides enough spiritual nourishment for the rest of your life, and permeates, "gives colour to", all the other things you do, so that we get this enormous kaleidoscope of spiritualities where every community and person uniquely fits somewhere.

Only real life, really lived, can produce such a variety. It is the definite proof that religious life goes so far beyond daily schedules and constitutions.

Excuse me. Went fangirl for a minute :) Back to the Carmelites. Yay Carmelites![/quote]

VA, please go fangirl more often. What a beautiful reflection!

And, In the Arms of the Lord- God bless you for your abandon! You sound sooo happy!

InHisLove726

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1895842' date='Jun 19 2009, 04:36 AM']:yes:

Excuse me. Went fangirl for a minute :) Back to the Carmelites. Yay Carmelites![/quote]

That's an incredible thought! I love the kaleidoscope analogy! We, as Catholics, have so many flavors of spirituality, all tied in to one final goal--Jesus Christ. ;)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1895865' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:46 PM']That's an incredible thought! I love the kaleidoscope analogy! We, as Catholics, have so many flavors of spirituality, all tied in to one final goal--Jesus Christ. ;)[/quote]

It was a really important realisation for me, because I have always had trouble connecting to other peoples' feelings and inner lives (not only in the religious sense).

My sister was like my example in the spiritual life. I tried out a lot of her practices* to see how they "fit" me, and they often did, remarkably well - but at the same time her underlying spirituality, her "Benedictine-ness", was something I couldn't understand [i]at all[/i].

Since everything she does flows from that in some way, I felt a bit like a tree without roots, or even a bunch of branches without a connecting trunk. I associated the practices with the Benedictine-ness and as that is not my charism, I couldn't see how you could really "reach the end" with them, even though they "felt good". Mass was Mass, a rosary was a rosary, LotH was LotH, but it didn't slot into my life as a whole.

Then I [url="http://www.domcentral.org/trad/domspirit/default.htm"]found the Dominican spirituality[/url] and in a couple of months every activity with the "religion" tag became a building block towards [i]something[/i] - finding my vocation, finding God, dying to self, whatever - they're the same in the end, aren't they? The connection was there.

When I got that, I could suddenly understand much better how the Benedictine spirituality works (literally, haha), because it was just looking at the same connected dots from a different angle.

And now I "get" the Carmelites too because In the Arms of the Lord kindly provided me with the "angle" :) I will never experience how it fills her spiritual life exactly, but I can see how it is connected to mine. That makes it real, living, to me.

So THANK YOU HOLY SPIRIT for whacking me upside the head until I got it (it wasn't a very [i]subtle[/i] process) :)

This doesn't mean, by the way, that I have even the faintest clue about what life, religion, or Dominicanness is all about ;) I'm just far enough along to see that there's SO MUCH MORE! :cloud9:

*and her clothes, books, and monasteries :P