An Old School Catholic Message Board

Back From Buffalo Carmel

In The Arms of The Lord

In The Arms of The Lord

Praised be Jesus Christ!

I had such a beautiful time at the Monastery. I got there Thursday afternoon. As soon as I arrived, Sister (Extern Sister), showed me where I would be staying, then they gave me a meal.

I believe it was one of the Sister's family members that was visiting at the Monastery this weekend, so they had me stay in the Priest Suite, which is right next to the Chapel. Sister showed me a little "secret" passage way that they (Externs) go through to get the the Chapel. Just a few steps away and there it was! It was a blessing to have been able to stay in the Priest Suite because I was able to spend so much time with Our Lord in the Chapel, if I stayed in the guest house, I would have had limited access. The Chapel is beautiful, it reminds me a lot of a Cathedral style Church, though not as big, and with all the art work it looks like a Church you would find in the Vatican. They had Benediction two times while I was there, and Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament almost all day on Friday. What a joy it was to go and spend all of that time with Jesus! Praise The Lord, O my soul!

That night I met with Mother for the first time, I must say I was nervous and kept thinking about what I was going to say. We had a very nice chat for a couple of hours. She had said to me after we had talked that she didn't really have anymore questions to ask me, she says I have this Vocation. She made the comment "Are you ready to enter now? It seems like you are." Though I have been recently Confirmed, I know sometimes there is a waiting period. She says she is going to ask the Bishop about this. If the Lord wills that I return, then I know He has a time when that will be.

They gave me their scheduel, which was nice because I was able to go to the Chapel and hear them singing and pray with them. They gave me a copy of The Liturgy of the Hours both in English and Latin. I must say I followed along in the English book, it will take much practice for me to figure it out in Latin and how to use that book, Mother said she didn't want me to get discouraged. I did though look through the Latin and caught up with them a couple of times, then I got lost again. :topsy:

The Mass there is beautiful! There was never a large crowd at Mass, the atmosphere was private and intimate. The Sisters sound beautiful when they sang Gregorian Chant.

Mother had me watch a movie, one of the Extern Sisters stayed with me. For this, we went into the guest house. The movie is called "The Star of Bethlehem." This movie is extremely interesting! It is, of course, about the Star of Bethlehem. I recommend watching it. Here is the website if you want to find out more: [url="http://www.bethlehemstar.net/"]http://www.bethlehemstar.net/[/url]

Mother also gave me a book called "The Gift of Oneself", and I purchased in the little shop they have there some prayer cards and a book called "Divine Intimacy." The Sister's use this book everyday for a meditation. They have a meditation in this book for everyday of the year. I recommend both of these. :)

They have a Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites that go to the Monastery and also give a lot of helping hands to the Sisters. They are such a kind group of people, hearts filled with love, and are striving for holiness. I got to spend the afternoon with them and attended their Mass and had lunch with them. I got to be in a discussion group with them about Saint John of the Cross and his writings. They had great insights and I could tell they very much study his writings.

Mother had me clean the Chapel and I got to do some garden work with Sister in the Extern garden. My first time doing garden work. I felt like a postulant for a few hours. :)

I got to meet all the Sisters, but one. They have 16 at the moment, including the two Externs. They have a Postulant that is going to be receive the Habit and her new name on the Feast day of Corpus Christi! She is Sister Deberah at the moment.

They have public Novenas there also in the Chapel. Sometime this year they are going to have one to The Little Flower. I was told of the story about the priest's that are going to attend. They are twin brothers. When they were in the womb there was some difficulties, their mother was told that she should abort one of them (i'm not sure what the medical issue was.) The mother went to the Monastery and told the Sisters and was told to consecrate them to the Sacred Heart. She went into the Chapel and did so. Now, both of them are Ordained, and... [b]they were both Ordained on the Feast day of the Sacred Heart![/b] Praise the Lord! I thought that was such a beautiful story and I wanted to share that with you all.

Mother gave me an application. I do plan on sending it back. If the Lord wills that I enter, then I will return there. I would like to discern further with them, and find out if this is where Jesus is calling me. May all my desires and actions be according to His will. Amen.

I took about 50 pictures while I was there. I'm going to get them on a disk so I can post them for all that are interested!

That's all for now, I might just think of some more to add later. :) Thank you all for your prayers and know i'm keeping you all in my prayers also!

Edited by In The Arms of The Lord

TotusTuusMaria

Thank you for taking the time to post. It sounds wonderful.

Many prayers as you continue to discern God's will! :sign:

InHisLove726

Oh my! That's lovely that Mother is going to talk to the Bishop for you to see if it's possible that you could enter early. What a blessing! I'll be praying for you. It sounds wonderful. :D

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1886760' date='Jun 8 2009, 10:23 PM']Thank you for taking the time to post. It sounds wonderful.

Many prayers as you continue to discern God's will! :sign:[/quote]

Thank you so kindly for your prayers. God bless you and prayers for you also. :pray:

It was a great visit. I do believe so much that it was His will that I go there, and maybe He will send me back. :)

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1886777' date='Jun 8 2009, 10:42 PM']Oh my! That's lovely that Mother is going to talk to the Bishop for you to see if it's possible that you could enter early. What a blessing! I'll be praying for you. It sounds wonderful. :D[/quote]

Thank you so much! It is wonderful. I know that it's all in the Lord's Hands.

I'm keeping you in my prayers also as you continue to discern! Keep us updated! :)

Wow. I am not sure but isn't it a very "big" thing for an abbess to declare that you have a vocation, just like that.

I will keep your intentions in my prayers, along with Laudem's and Nunsense (Sr. Michael Maria of God)

All these Carmelites, I'm praying for!

But the beauty is, I know they'll pray for me, too! :-)

Laudem Gloriae

Congratulations on such a wonderful visit! Isn't visiting a Carmel like nothing else! I have visited the Cristo Rey Carmel in San Francisco and now recently the Carmel in Philly and they truly are "Heaven on Earth"!

Buffalo is such a wonderful Carmel! Did you not want to leave on the last day as I did?! I shall keep you in my prayers about your vocation and where God wants you.

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' post='1886933' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:56 AM']Congratulations on such a wonderful visit! Isn't visiting a Carmel like nothing else! I have visited the Cristo Rey Carmel in San Francisco and now recently the Carmel in Philly and they truly are "Heaven on Earth"!

Buffalo is such a wonderful Carmel! Did you not want to leave on the last day as I did?! I shall keep you in my prayers about your vocation and where God wants you.[/quote]

It was a beautiful experience! I'm happy that you had such a great time also at Carmel. May the Lord be praised now and forever! Just to think "I went to the Monastery" makes me smile. The day I left I did senced a sadness within me. Now that I am back at the house, I sence a longing to return. I know not to look anywhere else but Carmel. While I was spending all that time in the Chapel with Our Lord, and having all that time for intimate prayer; I believe so many of my desires were confirmed.

Thank you so much for your prayers, God bless you. I will keep you also in my prayers as you continue to discern His will!

In The Arms of The Lord

NisiTe and DameAgnes, thank you both so much for your prayers.

You are both in my prayers also. :sign:

In The Arms of The Lord

On the application I have there is also a schedule, here it is:

"In 1990, Our Holy Father Pope John Paul II confirmed the original Constitutions written by Our Mother Foundress St. Teresa of Avila. These are the laws which this community follows, without mitigation:"

5:30 am: Rise

6:00 am- Recite Lauds (Divine Office)

6:15 am- Mental Prayer

7:15 am- Recite Terce

7:30 am- Sacrifice of the Mass
Breakfast
Work Assignments

11:00 Recite Sext and Litany of the Blessed Virgin
Examen of Conscience

11:30 am- Dinner and washing of dishes

12:30 pm- Recreation

1:30 pm- Free time

2:00 pm- Recite None
Spiritual Reading

3:00 pm- Divine Mercy Chaplet and Work Assignment

4:40 pm- Recite or Sing Vespers

5:00 pm- Mental Prayer

6:00 pm- Supper or Collation

7:00 pm- Recreation

8:00 pm- Compline and Rosary

8:20 pm- Free Time

9:30 pm- Matins

10:30 pm- Retire

VeniteAdoremus

TWO HOURS of mental prayer a day?

I would go insane within the week.

This is why I am not a Carmelite :)

Jennifer G.

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' post='1887214' date='Jun 9 2009, 04:02 PM']...

11:00 Recite Sext and [b]Litany of the Blessed Virgin[/b]
Examen of Conscience

[b]3:00 pm- Divine Mercy Chaplet [/b]and Work Assignment

8:00 pm- Compline and [b]Rosary [/b]

...[/quote]

I think I just found my favorite Carmelite convent! :D (I just wish it weren't smack in the middle of a city) Do they have a convent garden? What types of work do they do during the day? I would imagine cleaning the convent, laundry, etc..

Say, is that their laundry?
[img]http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5479/buffalocarmelm.jpg[/img]

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1887268' date='Jun 9 2009, 05:22 PM']TWO HOURS of mental prayer a day?

I would go insane within the week.

This is why I am not a Carmelite :)[/quote]

I would love that. I already find myself meditating on scripture and such for at least an hour at work when there's no computer programming to be done.

Edited by Jennifer G.