An Old School Catholic Message Board

Back From Buffalo Carmel

In The Arms of The Lord

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='Jennifer G.' post='1887400' date='Jun 9 2009, 09:12 PM']I think I just found my favorite Carmelite convent! :D (I just wish it weren't smack in the middle of a city) Do they have a convent garden? What types of work do they do during the day? I would imagine cleaning the convent, laundry, etc..

Say, is that their laundry?
[img]http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5479/buffalocarmelm.jpg[/img]

I would love that. I already find myself meditating on scripture and such for at least an hour at work when there's no computer programming to be done.[/quote]

It is a great Monastery. :)

I believe that picture is of the Monastery and the grounds, the red circle looks like it's showing the grounds that is in the middle of the Monastery. It's a very large Monastery.

As for the work, they make lace, paint Crucifixes and statues, illuminate cards, sew Vestments, they make their own clothes and rope sandals, they paint the Monastery, sand and varnish the floors, build cupboards and furniture, cook, clean, laundry, they put up little Chapels in the gardens, take care of the brick walls, repair the water pipes, have many vegetable and flower gardens.

They eat what they grow in the garden, and the flowers and stunning. They use many of them in the Chapel and for putting around statues. They smell heavenly. From what I think I was told, all the sisters have their own garden area that they take care of.

They keep really busy!

Edited by In The Arms of The Lord

AbsconditaInDeo

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' post='1887652' date='Jun 10 2009, 07:13 AM']They eat what they grow in the garden, and the flowers and stunning.[/quote]

Do they only eat what is grown in the garden?

I'm so happy you had a great experience with the nuns. From the way you speak of them they sound very lovely. :)

The schedule sounds Divine :saint: and it reminds me of a cloistered Dominican community I once discerned with, but still love.

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='AbsconditaInDeo' post='1887721' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:49 AM']Do they only eat what is grown in the garden?

I'm so happy you had a great experience with the nuns. From the way you speak of them they sound very lovely. :)[/quote]

Thank you. :)

It was a great experience, and they are lovely! Are you discerning a religious vocation?

They eat a lot of veggies, with every meal. They do canning of fruits and veggies because Buffalo gets cold, long winters. They do eat dairy, eggs, pasta, bread, soup, seafood, fruit, salads, they do eat desserts also. They don't eat meat.

They do have different foods on Celebration days (but not if it's on a fast day). I think it was Friday, it was the Bishop's Birthday and it was one of the Sister's Birthday also. They got takeout pizza and cupcakes, with a side salad and fruit of course.

They do eat very well; a breakfast, a large dinner, and supper was always a sandwich with a bowl of soup. They do have a long fast; 8 months out of the year- September through April. The Carmelite fast starts September 14th, The Feast of the Holy Cross and goes to Easter.

If you have any more questions to ask, i'd be happy to answer them. God bless you!

Jennifer G.

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' post='1887902' date='Jun 10 2009, 06:04 PM']Thank you. :)

It was a great experience, and they are lovely! Are you discerning a religious vocation?

They eat a lot of veggies, with every meal. They do canning of fruits and veggies because Buffalo gets cold, long winters. They do eat dairy, eggs, pasta, bread, soup, seafood, fruit, salads, they do eat desserts also. They don't eat meat.[/quote]

Sounds like my diet. :) (I don't like eating that much meat anyway, granted, I'm not much for soups and most salads either.)

[quote]They do have different foods on Celebration days (but not if it's on a fast day). I think it was Friday, it was the Bishop's Birthday and it was one of the Sister's Birthday also. They got takeout pizza and cupcakes, with a side salad and fruit of course.

They do eat very well; a breakfast, a large dinner, and supper was always a sandwich with a bowl of soup. They do have a long fast; 8 months out of the year- September through April. The Carmelite fast starts September 14th, The Feast of the Holy Cross and goes to Easter.

If you have any more questions to ask, i'd be happy to answer them. God bless you![/quote]

What does their fast entail? Is it a normal fast? (that is, only 1 main meal a day, or 1 meal, plus two smaller meals that add up to or less than the main meal).

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1887906' date='Jun 10 2009, 06:08 PM']The image of Carmelite nuns ordering pizza is wonderful :hehe:[/quote]

I had the same thought. I got this mental image of the Carmelite nuns and bishop going out of the convent to Pizza Hut for a pizza. :D

What do they do about family visits? I'm guessing nuns only leave if a family member has died (or is dying?). What about family visiting them?

Edited by Jennifer G.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Jennifer G.' post='1887916' date='Jun 10 2009, 05:31 PM']I had the same thought. I got this mental image of the Carmelite nuns and bishop going out of the convent to Pizza Hut for a pizza. :D[/quote]

I know it was take-out, but I just got the mental image of it being delievered lol.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1887923' date='Jun 11 2009, 12:50 AM']I know it was take-out, but I just got the mental image of it being delievered lol.[/quote]

If you like pizza, you should join the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara. Pizza... all the time!

Saint Therese

I don't think the Carmelite nuns leave the monastery to visit dying family members. My guess is that an extern might go in the cloistered nun's stead.
But that's just a guess.

InHisLove726

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1887924' date='Jun 10 2009, 05:53 PM']If you like pizza, you should join the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara. Pizza... all the time![/quote]

Maybe I should join them! LOL! I LOVE PIZZA!!!!! ;) :lol_roll:

We have an awesome pizzeria here in Florida. It makes the thin Sicilian crust! Yum! I think when I go to New York, I'm going to have to get some authentic Brooklyn-style pizza. LOL!

:pirate: This thread has been officially hijacked!

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1888131' date='Jun 10 2009, 10:01 PM']I don't think the Carmelite nuns leave the monastery to visit dying family members. My guess is that an extern might go in the cloistered nun's stead.
But that's just a guess.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that one doesn't leave the monastery in this instance, and an extern nun would probably not attend either.

It is hard and difficult, but Jesus told the apostle, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead." (Matt. 8:22)

A Carmelite dies to the world, and there is a certain detachment from family and friends that is needed to follow Jesus in this way of life. But, Jesus has promised us something great for this leaving behind and following Him:

"Jesus said, 'Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come.'" Mark 10:29-30

Instead of weeping beside a tomb for the departed, the Carmelite daughter is at the throne of God in prayer for the soul of her departed. It is very special and probably a better place to be...

Saint Therese

I had read that for Collettine Poor Clares the externs will visit family members when a death is involved.
But I guess that doesn't apply to Carmelites.

TotusTuusMaria

Hmm... wonder if they travel and go to far away parents or just those that live close by.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The Missionaries of Charity do not either... they also only see family once every 10 years. :mellow:

Saint Therese

I'm very attracted to the MIC life. Its so beautiful. But I know that's not my vocation, and I couldn't do it anyways as I have delicate health. I know I"ll only be happy as a Dominican. Plus they have the best outfits.