An Old School Catholic Message Board

Applying To A Community

Maria_Faustina

Maria_Faustina

For anyone that is applying or has applied to a religious community: I'm assuming most orders require some sort of autobiography. The community I'm applying to requires a lot of information: basic dates, family, Sacraments, significant events, friendships, your vocation story, etc. I'm nearing the end of mine (finally! It takes a long time to write your life story! And I'm only 19!), but it's already VERY long. Is that normal? Well, I think it's long--I don't have much experience in applying to convents! It doesn't help that I'm an English/literature/writing person, and details and pretty writing are my speciality--it's quite hard for me to be trite. I am very willing to go through and cut it down to a few pages, though, instead of the 12-14 single-spaced, typed pages it is now. Perhaps it would be good to send it in as it is, so they know more about who they're discerning to accept, but I also don't want to bore them!

Second question: About medical forms. The one I have (is typewriter-written; it's so cute--they don't have a computer :) ) is for the most part just a list of various parts of your body that a doctor needs to make sure are okay, and then things like vision and lungs, etc. The catch is I'm applying against my parents' will, unfortunately, and I don't want to go to my usual doctor because I don't want to use my parents' money (they pay for the insurance that covers it) to obtain the completed form. I just really don't know anything about how the medical system works--I've never had to, yet. Any recommendations? Perhaps I'm being scrupulous--I hope you can understand the (little) issue.

Thank you for your responses!

JMJFC+

[quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1887140' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:14 PM']For anyone that is applying or has applied to a religious community: I'm assuming most orders require some sort of autobiography. The community I'm applying to requires a lot of information: basic dates, family, Sacraments, significant events, friendships, your vocation story, etc. I'm nearing the end of mine (finally! It takes a long time to write your life story! And I'm only 19!), but it's already VERY long. Is that normal? Well, I think it's long--I don't have much experience in applying to convents! It doesn't help that I'm an English/literature/writing person, and details and pretty writing are my speciality--it's quite hard for me to be trite. I am very willing to go through and cut it down to a few pages, though, instead of the 12-14 single-spaced, typed pages it is now. Perhaps it would be good to send it in as it is, so they know more about who they're discerning to accept, but I also don't want to bore them!

Second question: About medical forms. The one I have (is typewriter-written; it's so cute--they don't have a computer :) ) is for the most part just a list of various parts of your body that a doctor needs to make sure are okay, and then things like vision and lungs, etc. The catch is I'm applying against my parents' will, unfortunately, and I don't want to go to my usual doctor because I don't want to use my parents' money (they pay for the insurance that covers it) to obtain the completed form. I just really don't know anything about how the medical system works--I've never had to, yet. Any recommendations? Perhaps I'm being scrupulous--I hope you can understand the (little) issue.

JMJFC+[/quote]

The Lockport Dominicans have the longest application I think I've ever seen.

The information is important for their particular circumstances. Each house of each charism is different, believe it or not, and if the motherhouse doesn't send out an "official" application, the individual house may create their own.

As for the dr--an urgent care dr or PA-C could do it for you. If they knew it was for a convent, they might even do it pro bono (free).

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

FiereMargriet

I will admit I have no experience in this area yet, but first of all congratulations on having the courage to take this very big step in your life's vocation! My prayers are with you and your family, that they may understand.

I volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center; maybe you could look around for such a place (mine's kind of affiliated with my parish, but not officially), explain your situation, and ask if they can refer you to a doctor who can do your exam. (We have a whole long list of good pro-life doctors, and as Gemma said, if they understand what it's for, maybe they'll do it for free.)

toservelove

Well, as someone else who likes to write, both my autobiographies were 20 pages long, and both were different. I'm in my 40's so there was a lot to say, plus I have 7 siblings--just doing a brief paragraph on each of them plus my parents was around 4 pages. I worried about it too, then I just thought, well, this is who I am, so this is what they get. Then I sent it with no more worries.

You may want to call a few doctor's offices and tell them what you need and ask about fees. Call several, because prices vary.

Good luck and God bless,

Sr. Karyn

[quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1887140' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:14 PM']For anyone that is applying or has applied to a religious community: I'm assuming most orders require some sort of autobiography. The community I'm applying to requires a lot of information: basic dates, family, Sacraments, significant events, friendships, your vocation story, etc. I'm nearing the end of mine (finally! It takes a long time to write your life story! And I'm only 19!), but it's already VERY long. Is that normal? Well, I think it's long--I don't have much experience in applying to convents! It doesn't help that I'm an English/literature/writing person, and details and pretty writing are my speciality--it's quite hard for me to be trite. I am very willing to go through and cut it down to a few pages, though, instead of the 12-14 single-spaced, typed pages it is now. Perhaps it would be good to send it in as it is, so they know more about who they're discerning to accept, but I also don't want to bore them!

JMJFC+[/quote]

For the biography...I had to write a biography for my SD which was very detailed and that ended up being 20 pages...but for my application it was not as detailed and asked for other information besides the biographical part like motives of intent of joining the community, and was only 10 pages...if that helps..

as for the doctor, I don't know what to tell you, sorry

VeniteAdoremus

Yes, it's long. :)

I had to complete two questionnaires for my psychological evaluation. The first was 64 pages, and the second 28. And it was [i]detailed[/i].

I would just write in the style you prefer, because that will also help them to get to know you!

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the American medical system, but there's nothing wrong with getting a full physical from time to time, so if it's covered by the insurance (they don't have to pay extra) I wouldn't feel [i]too[/i] bad about going to your normal doctor. He/she also knows you best, and can pay extra attention based on your medical history.

Actually I would feel really bad, too. But I still think going to your usual doctor is the best thing to do.

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='Gemma' post='1887170' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:00 PM']The Lockport Dominicans have the longest application I think I've ever seen.[/quote]

I think it it's easier being an FBI agent or something, but if I can survive it, anyone can.
And thank you for reminding me, I need to get a copy of my medical record.

Edited by DiscerningSoul

the lords sheep

As far as length, mine was huge (I faxed a copy because I don't trust Italian post, and it was about 50 faxed pages... about 30 total, most front and back in the mailed version).
I didn't have to write an autobiography, but I had to answer lots of little questions; I tend to be more concise and it was still enormous!

As far as insurance goes: you can go to an Urgent Care as Gemma said. Or you can just go to your normal doctor and pay the co-pay yourself. Insurance typically covers 1 general physical per year because you should really have 1 general physical per year. Your parents won't be charged any extra, even for blood work/what not- you just have to pay the accompanying co-pays for everything.

Believe me, I understand parental disapproval (my mom told me not to ask for her help making entrance preparations), but I also know my parents wouldn't want me shelling out up to $200 for something that's already essentially paid for. I would be upfront with them, saying "I need to get a physical 1. for my application and 2. for my health in general because it's been X years since my last one. If you want me to pay for it on my own, I am more than willing, but I would like your blessing to see a doctor covered by insurance so I only have to pay the copay."
See what they say. They may surprise you.

God bless you and good luck getting it all done!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1887319' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:01 AM']I think it it's easier being an FBI agent or something, but if I can survive it, anyone can.
And thank you for reminding me, I need to get a copy of my medical record.[/quote]

With you having mentioned the FBI earlier in your post I thought you needed to get a copy of your criminal record :wacko: :unsure: ;)

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1887319' date='Jun 9 2009, 06:01 PM']I think it it's easier being an FBI agent or something, but if I can survive it, anyone can.
And thank you for reminding me, I need to get a copy of my medical record.[/quote]

A former teacher of mine was asking me about what I had to go through with my application process and after explaining to her all that I had to do she said, "I didn't know so much was involved with entering a convent...wouldn't it just be easier to apply to med school or be an FBI agent or something?"

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1887329' date='Jun 10 2009, 01:13 AM']With you having mentioned the FBI earlier in your post I thought you needed to get a copy of your criminal record :wacko: :unsure: ;)[/quote]

I did - something to do with getting legal clearance to work with children. Absolutely no idea how that works :) But the worst I've been... caught for... is riding my bike in a pedestrian area. Oh, wait, and riding without a proper light on my bike. That was actually a fine.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1887921' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:48 PM']I did - something to do with getting legal clearance to work with children. Absolutely no idea how that works :) But the worst I've been... caught for... is riding my bike in a pedestrian area. Oh, wait, and riding without a proper light on my bike. That was actually a fine.[/quote]

You crim!

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1888351' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:44 AM']You crim![/quote]

:ninja:

You can often tell by the way a question is phrased how thorough they want you to be. OLAM's application is very basic and to the point, like a job application. If they're asking for you to be very thorough it won't be phrased in a way that can be answered in one or two sentence. You just need to be honest and clear, but also be yourself, so they get to know you through it. The best thing to do is probably to ask the vocation directress how thorough they want you to be. They really don't mind that... it shows that it matters to you! :)

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1887329' date='Jun 9 2009, 06:13 PM']With you having mentioned the FBI earlier in your post I thought you needed to get a copy of your criminal record :wacko: :unsure: ;)[/quote]
I had to have a background check run in my application. Lucky for me, one was recently run for a previous job I had, so it was just a matter of resending the records. No one had to pay for the check to be redone.

[quote name='NisiTe' post='1887744' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:57 AM']A former teacher of mine was asking me about what I had to go through with my application process and after explaining to her all that I had to do she said, "I didn't know so much was involved with entering a convent...wouldn't it just be easier to apply to med school or be an FBI agent or something?"[/quote]
Most people I've told about my application were surprised at the number of doctors I had to visit (4 in all). I'd already had my psych evals done for grad school (part of our lay spirituality formation program) and "only" had to go to the dentist (whose aunt was a nun), the eye doctor (who had only filled out forms for seminarians before), and the GP (who in my case also had to be a "lady" doctor--and who had over a dozen sisters for patients). It was kinda fun but it was certainly the most tedious part of the entire process. :wacko: