An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jack Van Impe!

Chrysologus

Does anybody else ever watch this guy's show? He's amesome! He's the best televangelist ever, after Billy Graham. He's always talking about the news and new inventions and how wonderful they are, but how they mean that Jesus is coming back soon. He's also always defending Catholics (he's Baptist). He's promoted the Catechism as being saturated with the Word of God and once spent an entire show defending the Holy Father as a man of God (not surprisingly he's highly criticized by many of his brethren as an apostate and heretic for doing so). He believes in the rapture and I've seen him comment on The Rapture Trap, Will Catholics Be Left Behind?, and the bishops' recent statements condeming the Left Behind series. Still, whenever he disagrees with Catholics on the end times issue he always affirms his love for Catholics as brothers and sisters in Christ and he claims that we used to believe in the rapture back at the ecumenical council of Nicaea, or one of those (there is some church fathers support for millenialism, believe it or not). He's nothing like TBN and all that pop Christianity garbage. He's my guilty pleasure. Anybody else heard of him?

You know, I do think that the wife is creepy, but only on a physical level...like what's up with using eye liner on the top AND bottom? :huh:

But I think it's very important to recognize the Christ in everyone be they Christian or not..so if VanImpe can do that...I sincerely thank him. Compassion and Empathy are things which seem to be missing from the modern social fabric which we are weaving.

Compassion and Empathy are things which seem to be missing from the modern social fabric which we are weaving.

So true.

Edited by _bc

phatcatholic

Chrysologus,

yea, i've seen him several times on tv. i saw the episode he did on the rapture trap, and i was like, "hey, this guy's pretty cool." then, i went to his website. if you go to the search engine at the site and type in "catholic" what you get is a host of articles that are, at least implicitly, rather anti-catholic if you ask me. go ahead, try it, see what comes up. the very first one talks about the Church's possible role in the New World Order. but then he comes on tv and seems rather accepting of the Church.

who knows what to think......he knows scripture that's for sure!

ur thoughts?

phatcatholic

hyperdulia again

from what i've heard phat he used to be an anti-catholic, but he had an epiphany of sorts....he signed the "non-aggression pact".

he claims that we used to believe in the rapture back at the ecumenical council of Nicaea, or one of those (there is some church fathers support for millenialism, believe it or not).

The rapture was not believed in the early chuch although some held to millenialism. The quotes that some use to try to have the Church fathers believe in the rapture are taken way out of context. And if I remember right there is only really one quote that they have that even sounds like they believed in a rapture. If you want me to show you I can look this info up.

i watch him every once in a while 2... he's pretty good and definitely knows scripture

he said that some priest friends of his said the church doesn't teach anything in contradiction 2 the rapture.. right or wrong?

also, what exactly is the rapture?

i mean, the Church will rise up to heaven in the end times right? it's just the 7 year tribulation thing we don't aggree with, right? anyone know where the 7 year thing is in scripture? and if it is, could it be tribulation for his Church until the end of time as the biblical number seven signifies fullness

don't we all rise up, then those left are cast into hell, the earth is purrified and the universe made anew in Christ and all that live in their glorified bodies reign with Christ?

Pax Christi!

I would like that, Cure of Ars.

Boy that was a lot of work to find this. Grant Jeffrey is the one who claimed to find the Pretribulation rapture in Pseudo-Ephraem. This is the quote that he found.

All the saints and elect of God are gathered together before the tribulation, which is to come, and are taken to the Lord, in order that they may not see at any time the confusion which overwhelms the world because of our sins.

This is taken out of context. Here is a quote from Tim Warner (non-Catholic). Go to the link at the end to read the entire thing, it is worth the read if you find this topic interesting. Tim Warner soundly refutes Jeffery's claim.

It seems that Jeffrey and Ice not only have misrepresented Pseudo-Ephraem's sermon, but they also misrepresented the Byzantine scholar, Paul Alexander! Yes, Alexander did make a note of the fact that Pseudo-Ephraem seems to emphasize being "taken to the Lord' i.e., participate at least in some measure in beatitude". But, Ice and Jeffrey are forcing a pre-trib rapture into this statement and assuming that 'taken to the Lord' means a pre-trib rapture. That is simply not so! Alexander saw Pseudo-Ephraem as a post-tribulationist! He was NOT making a distinction between other post-trib writers and a pre-trib Pseudo-Ephraem, as Jeffrey and Ice would have you believe! Rather, Paul Alexander distinguished between two different forms of preservation of believers through the tribulation until the second coming after the tribulation in Christian apocalyptic literature. Other Byzantine writers saw the elect suffering in the tribulation, but their extinction would be prevented by the shortening of the days as per Matt. 24:22. Alexander's point was that Pseudo-Ephraem spoke of "some measure of beatitude" for the saints, (that is, being 'taken to the Lord' and sustained in remote places on earth), in accordance with Revelation 12's "woman" who fled from the face of the serpent, and was sustained by God "in the wilderness." This concept was apparently new in Byzantine eschatology.

A few pages after the quote provided above by Thomas Ice, Paul Alexander laid out his understanding of the sequence of events in Pseudo-Ephraem's sermon, and he did NOT include a pre-trib rapture!

Link Here

The truth is that non of the Chruch fathers heald to a Pretribulation Rapture.

i watch him every once in a while 2... he's pretty good and definitely knows scripture

he said that some priest friends of his said the church doesn't teach anything in contradiction 2 the rapture.. right or wrong?

also, what exactly is the rapture?

i mean, the Church will rise up to heaven in the end times right?  it's just the 7 year tribulation thing we don't aggree with, right?  anyone know where the 7 year thing is in scripture?  and if it is, could it be tribulation for his Church until the end of time as the biblical number seven signifies fullness

don't we all rise up, then those left are cast into hell, the earth is purrified and the universe made anew in Christ and all that live in their glorified bodies reign with Christ?

Pax Christi!

I am going to send you to this Link on the rapture because I am lazy.

Rapture