An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can I Just Say...

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1893169' date='Jun 16 2009, 01:28 PM']IF there was a Sr. by that name in Nashville, I wouldn't have known. That community is too big for all the sisters to know each other personally...[/quote]

You said Sr. Maria Frassati was "thrilled to receive" the name...do the DSMME's select their own names (or ask for them) or does the leadership simply bestow them on the sisters? If it is not prying, may I ask what your name was and whether you liked it? Does a sister ever say, "oh, gad, I HATE my name!"

Also, for Pier Giorgio fans out there: [url="http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/theanchoress/2009/04/06/pier-giorgio-frassati-updated/"]http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/theanchor...assati-updated/[/url]

Also, while Bl. Pier Giorgio is good-looking, indeed, I don't know that I agree that St. Benedict was not good-looking. We don't actually know, but I've seen a few icons of the young Benedict that I thought were pretty attractive! :-)

dominicansoul

It's a secret I can't disclose, but I'm sure many of you might know the process of the names...

My name was Sr. Miriam and I was pleasantly surprised! But now, there's a "new" Sr. Miriam, and I was kinda crushed when I heard about that...

I don't know if I ever thought St. Benedict was good looking, but I know St. Dominic certainly was!!! :lol:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1893190' date='Jun 16 2009, 08:59 PM']It's a secret I can't disclose, but I'm sure many of you might know the process of the names...

My name was Sr. Miriam and I was pleasantly surprised! But now, there's a "new" Sr. Miriam, and I was kinda crushed when I heard about that...

I don't know if I ever thought St. Benedict was good looking, but I know St. Dominic certainly was!!! :lol:[/quote]

My mum's name is Miriam :) I think it's one of the most beautiful versions of Mary.

Edit: by the way, she's named after the religious sister who nursed my grandmother around my mother's birth!

Edited by VeniteAdoremus

loveletslive

ahhh i LOVE those sisters. i was at their convent a few weeks ago. they are so beautiful.

also, cool fact about sister maria frassati. at WYD'08 she got to "stand guard" by bl. pier giorgio frassati's body for several hours!!

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1893685' date='Jun 17 2009, 03:11 AM']also, cool fact about sister maria frassati. at WYD'08 she got to "stand guard" by bl. pier giorgio frassati's body for several hours!![/quote]

That is like the best thing ever. Wow.

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1893685' date='Jun 16 2009, 08:11 PM']ahhh i LOVE those sisters. i was at their convent a few weeks ago. they are so beautiful.

also, cool fact about sister maria frassati. at WYD'08 she got to "stand guard" by bl. pier giorgio frassati's body for several hours!![/quote]

That really is very cool. I have always wondered why they did not have Pier Giorgio's body exposed in a glass casket like other relics.

Dominican Soul, I am sorry that you were hurt to hear of another "Miriam" I can imagine that did scald a bit.

But you're KILLING me. A secret process for names? I must know! :-)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1894694' date='Jun 18 2009, 02:24 AM']That really is very cool. I have always wondered why they did not have Pier Giorgio's body exposed in a glass casket like other relics.

Dominican Soul, I am sorry that you were hurt to hear of another "Miriam" I can imagine that did scald a bit.[/quote]
Indeed. :console:

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1894694' date='Jun 18 2009, 02:24 AM']But you're KILLING me. A secret process for names? I must know! :-)[/quote]

I am very curious too :) Because I used to think they had the same process as my community (submit three names, prioress picks one or chooses something else).

• 2 weeks later...
kavalamyself

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1888497' date='Jun 11 2009, 01:30 PM']:lol_roll:

Oh man.

:topsy:

I can't stop smiling!

Soooooooooo, I go to Mass this morning, grudgingly dragging myself out of bed to make the morning Mass at my parish (all the noon Masses are a good 20/30 minutes away). I'm sitting in the second to last pew with one of my friends who will be entering the Poor Clares in a few weeks. Aaaand Mass starts, and out of the corner of my eye I see the graceful flow of something white enter the pew behind me.

I recognized that habit immediately!!! A Dominican of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist!!!

I could scarcely contain my excitement as I grinned to my friend beside me.

And I got to talk with the Sister after Mass!!! And it was wonderful!!! And I am soooo full of joy right now!!!

She's making her final vows on August 4th!!!!

Apparentally she grew up going to the dominican parish about 1/2 hr from where I live, and she's out visiting her family, and one of her best friends goes to my parish!

Wonderful!! God is good!!!

I was just on their website last night!!! AND I dreamt about them.

Hmm...

:lol_roll:

Just thought I'd share my joy! :saint:[/quote]

This is a true sign from God. I am going to continue reading your posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Dominicans... please, pray for my friend, she will invest (enter novitiate) in 7th August! :) I'm really curious about her as I will visit the Dominicans from 9th Aug till 14th Aug - then I'll go home (=Servite Nuns... :D For 10 days... ahh...) ;)