An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Pilgrimages?

Maria Faustina

Maria Faustina

Hey,

So my friend and I are trying to work out a pilgrimage to Rome next summer (2010), but I was wondering, since both my friend and I are discerning, does anyone know of pilgrimage with a focus on discerning vocations? I found one to Medjugore that is in August 09, but you had to be 18 and I'm a little confused with Medjugore right now...so yeah, it really wouldn't work out. Also, if anyone has any experience with normal pilgrimages, could you suggest some good companies to look into?

Thanks y'all :)

In Christ,
Maria Faustina

TeresaBenedicta

I'd go to WYD, honestly. There are some pilgramages that hit up Rome and/or Assisi as part of the package. And I've heard lots of vocations come out of WYD. Plus, I'm sure you'll meet plenty of religious.

TotusTuusMaria

Rome is awesome.

I haven't ever heard of a "discerning pilgrimage" but a pilgrimage would be a great time to discern. Maybe stay in monasteries. Visit shrines. Spend time in prayer at some very special, gracefilled places.

I did this. At every shrine and before every incorrupt body I encountered I would either light candles/write a petition that I may know God's will concerning my vocation.

You can make it a discerning pilgrimage!

the lords sheep

If you don't want to go with a company, it is possible to make a pilgrimage that the two of you just plan on your own. It's a lot more work, but usually it's cheaper.
I'd be more than happy to help you (as I currently live in Rome). The only catch: I'm only online until September, after that, you'll have to seek my help via snail mail :D

God bless you in your efforts! Just put it in our Lady's hands!

FiereMargriet

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1891183' date='Jun 15 2009, 04:13 AM']Rome is awesome.

I haven't ever heard of a "discerning pilgrimage" but a pilgrimage would be a great time to discern. Maybe stay in monasteries. Visit shrines. Spend time in prayer at some very special, gracefilled places.

I did this. At every shrine and before every incorrupt body I encountered I would either light candles/write a petition that I may know God's will concerning my vocation.

You can make it a discerning pilgrimage![/quote]

This sounds wonderful! I would love to do something like this. I think one of my favorite things about being in Belgium was seeing the older churches, which, big or small, historically significant or not, were lovely. Just being in such a place with soaring high ceilings and too many side altars to count was a help to my prayer life.

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1890857' date='Jun 14 2009, 11:41 PM']Hey,

So my friend and I are trying to work out a pilgrimage to Rome next summer (2010), but I was wondering, since both my friend and I are discerning, does anyone know of pilgrimage with a focus on discerning vocations? I found one to Medjugore that is in August 09, but you had to be 18 and I'm a little confused with Medjugore right now...so yeah, it really wouldn't work out. Also, if anyone has any experience with normal pilgrimages, could you suggest some good companies to look into?

Thanks y'all :)

In Christ,
Maria Faustina[/quote]

We're always discerning!

But, I know what you mean--visiting shrines with the intention of asking for light as to where your vocation is.

Perhaps this will help--you don't need to be with an organized party to make it a pilgrimage. Any church can be a pilgrimage destination. It's all in the intention.

Case in point: hubby was in Gulf War I, and when I went to visit him at Ft. Bragg, NC, I would stop by St Joan of Arc church in Asheville (on the way over to the base from TN), and make it a pilgrimage for his safety and the safety of all those involved in the war. To me, it was the closest shrine I had available, and so called it that. Miraculously, hubby returned Stateside on the commuted feast of St. Joan of Arc!

Yes, Rome is awesome. Stopping by JPII's tomb would be even more awesome.

There are monasteries in Europe who have guest quarters, so that could be a start. At each stop, ask the patron of the facility to intercede for your vocational discernment.

Just suggestions, dear, not trying to impose.

Blessings,
Gemma

A friend of mine and I bought a interrail pass this January, travelled to different communities and ended up with a week of Assisi and Rome. It definetly is not difficult to plan. (American citizens can get a eurorail pass at www.eurorail.com ) You can also get train schedules online.
Whereas at the other places we mainly stayed in convents, in Rome and Assisi we stayed at a youth hostel. It was great, we had a lot of time to pray and walk around. Although the convents were definetly nicer than the youth hostels ;) Assisi was great, definetly take some time there!

VeniteAdoremus

Assisi is so picturesque it (almost) hurts :) And it's surprisingly tiny.

It'd be hard to pick where to go in Italy. I like more or less all of the North! Padua must be my favourite, though (even though as a proper Dominican I should favour Bologna or Siena...)

If you are travelling outside of the summer holidays, try to get to know some university students in the cities you're planning to visit (perhaps English majors?). The food at the university cafeterias is cheap and VERY good. (If you are travelling during the summer holidays, prepare to be roasted alive.)

You are welcome to quietly recuperate at my convent afterwards, although England might be a bit out of the way ;) In any case, one of the Sisters' parents live in Lourdes, she might have hints for accommodation should you choose to go there. My mum lives at driving distance from Prouille (the first Dominican monastery) and would undoubtedly put you up for the night, but she's not very reachable by public transport.

Maria Faustina

Thank you soo much for all the feedback so far!! Y'all definetly have some good suggestions for me to keep in mind!!! Thank you and I might take a few of you up on those offers!! The only other question I have is age. Both my friend and I will be under 18 (16 and 17 actually) so I was wondering how much that will affect our trip. That may seem like a dumb question, but I know there are a lot of restrictions these days. Ahh thanks for the help soo far guys!! You're great!!!

In Christ,
Maria Faustina

Yes I think being under age could have some affects... I remember I traveled to a European youth meeting in Paris when I was 17 and the bus company required a statements from my parents, authorised by a lawyer that I indeed could travel by myself.

Althoug youth hostels are intended to serve especially young people, the Hostel in Rome I stayed at only took ppl over 18 or ppl who were accompanied by somebody older than 18.

By law I guess there is no restriction of you travelling, having the consent of your parents. The problems might occur by service providers, such as hostels or bus companies... But on the train nobody has ever asked for my age ;)

Maybe a form could help, translated into the language of the country you are visiting, approved by a lawyer, stating the dates of arrival, return and stops in between.

VeniteAdoremus

I would bring your travel plan in the language of every country you're visiting, but that's sensible for people of every age. Signed parental consent also isn't a bad idea.

Apart from that, I can't really help you here. I stopped looking underage when I was 13 and by the time I started travelling around on my own there were no longer visa or border checks required for citizens of countries within the European Union (which, by the way, is not a Union - we are still all separate countries).

A very cheap but a bit uncomfortable way of travelling is Eurolines, a bus company. They're much cheaper than the trains, but I vastly prefer the latter. They do, however, run all through Europe and on a very generous schedule (often several times a day).

TotusTuusMaria

I traveled while underage. It really shouldn't be that big of a problem. Your parents will probably have to sign some things and help you with plane, insurance, train, renting a car (if you decide to do that), and hotels (if you decide to stay in them).

The travel itself though, when these things are signed and dealt with, won't be a problem.

I wouldn't stay at hostels if I were you, seeing that you two are underage. I don't imagine your parents would be ok with that either. The convents and monastieres sound like your best and cheapest bet (if not staying at hostels). The sisters, knowing your age, will also make it easier for you, i think... watch out for you kind of.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

Maria Faustina

Thanks for all of the help!!! Great options-convents would seem ideal to stay in. I just have to discuss this with my friend, because I really don't know if either of our parents would allow us to travel alone. Thank y'all sooooo much :)) Prayers!

Thomist-in-Training

In Florence there is a a reformed semi-enclosed monastery of Sacred Heart nuns. They have a school and three or four of them are American and speak English. They have rooms you can stay in. I know you like the Dominicans so you would LOVE San Marco museum in Florence, a former Dominican convent that is full of frescoes of Fra Angelico. It's beautiful! So, if you decide to go to Florence, you can stay there and don't forget to see the frescoes. If you're interested in more info send me a PM; I know some of the nuns, a little.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1893732' date='Jun 17 2009, 03:55 AM']In Florence there is a a reformed semi-enclosed monastery of Sacred Heart nuns. They have a school and three or four of them are American and speak English. They have rooms you can stay in. I know you like the Dominicans so you would LOVE San Marco museum in Florence, a former Dominican convent that is full of frescoes of Fra Angelico. It's beautiful! So, if you decide to go to Florence, you can stay there and don't forget to see the frescoes. If you're interested in more info send me a PM; I know some of the nuns, a little.[/quote]

I wasn't going to say anything, but FLORENCE IS THE BEST EVER. Except possibly for Padova. Well, they don't really compare, Padua is much smaller.

Except for the whole it being the center of the Catholic world thing, I like Florence better than Rome...

:tomato:

Cleaner and stuff.