An Old School Catholic Message Board

Customs!

mariaassunta

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1895096' date='Jun 18 2009, 05:38 AM']Something unique to my future community is that novices only wear the white veil when at home. If they are out in public or doing any type of ministry, they wear the black veil. It goes back to their foundations when people in hospitals would refuse the help of the "white veils" because they were new. School children also wouldn't respect the "white veils" as much. So now, when they're out and about (especially during their mission year), novices sport a black veil.[/quote]

That is so interesting; which community is this?

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1902701' date='Jun 27 2009, 06:34 PM']:lol: I love pancakes!!

And [i]dude[/i], i wish we Dominicans didn't have to wear shoes!!! I always asked Mother if we could be different and become "discalced Dominicans." She would look at me funny and then look at the other sisters funny and totally ignore my request! :topsy:

i think it was partly because my feet are really cute, and I wanted to show them off! :lol_roll:

yeah, i had a real "foot vanity" problem that was always addressed by my other sisters!

...but think about it! "Discalced Dominicans"..... it just sounds right![/quote]

Some communities have let that rule go now...

...mine being one of them.

I don't have an opinion on it. I [i]really[/i] like the tradition but I also love sandals :)

However, the sisters do wear white socks in their sandals. :)

Edit: you can see Sr. Hyacinthe's sandals in my avatar :D

Edited by VeniteAdoremus

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1903023' date='Jun 27 2009, 07:22 PM']Some communities have let that rule go now...

...mine being one of them.

I don't have an opinion on it. I [i]really[/i] like the tradition but I also love sandals :)

However, the sisters do wear white socks in their sandals. :)

Edit: you can see Sr. Hyacinthe's sandals in my avatar :D[/quote]

When I met one of the Nashville Dominican sisters, she told me about the sandal controversy. She actually had two pairs of black shoes and one had heels! They were a little like this:

[img]http://di1.shopping.com/images/di/79/46/59/56426b36676b357a3544585466457350324141-250x250-0-0.jpg[/img]

loveletslive

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1894192' date='Jun 17 2009, 06:00 AM']I also know that it is a primary custom (although others may do it) that the Carmelites use the phrase "Praised be Jesus Christ!" as a greeting, where the other person is supposed to respond, "Now and Forever!"[/quote]

ha! that's my bishop's signature saying :)

Edited by loveletslive

Sandles w/ socks - ugh. Every monk, friar, sister and nun who wears socks with sandals should be forced to prostrate and say the miserere, every day! ugh, ugh, ugh. :lol_roll:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1903255' date='Jun 28 2009, 06:49 AM']Sandles w/ socks - ugh. Every monk, friar, sister and nun who wears socks with sandals should be forced to prostrate and say the miserere, every day! ugh, ugh, ugh. :lol_roll:[/quote]

The alternative is worse. People might see our toes and... I don't know, become Mormon? Can toes do that?

I'm going to miss my sandal tan lines :( I've worked at them for years and years.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1898204' date='Jun 21 2009, 10:23 PM']At OLAM they abstain from meat 3.5 days a week... Sat. evening they eat meat... Because Sunday has begun! :lol: I don't know if that's the Urbanist standard, that's just from the PCPA constitutions[/quote]

oh, and they don't eat meat at all during Advent and Lent (except Sundays and solemnities)

the lords sheep

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1903255' date='Jun 28 2009, 05:49 AM']Sandles w/ socks - ugh. Every monk, friar, sister and nun who wears socks with sandals should be forced to prostrate and say the miserere, every day! ugh, ugh, ugh. :lol_roll:[/quote]

While I agree, many communities I know do if for practical reasons, namely smell... :blink:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1903846' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:31 PM']While I agree, many communities I know do if for practical reasons, namely smell... :blink:[/quote]

I am tied between being grossed out and fascinated.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1903871' date='Jun 28 2009, 08:48 PM']I am tied between being grossed out and fascinated.[/quote]

Sandals worn without socks are considerably more, um, [i]fragrant[/i] than their be-socked counterparts.

Or you could just chuck your sandals in the washing machine.

Turn off the spin cycle first, as the thumping is a bit disconcerting.

the lords sheep

[quote name='rosamundi' post='1903876' date='Jun 28 2009, 08:55 PM']Sandals worn without socks are considerably more, um, [i]fragrant[/i] than their be-socked counterparts.

Or you could just chuck your sandals in the washing machine.

Turn off the spin cycle first, as the thumping is a bit disconcerting.[/quote]

As long as they're not leather :)

dominicansoul

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1903068' date='Jun 27 2009, 07:15 PM']When I met one of the Nashville Dominican sisters, she told me about the sandal controversy. She actually had two pairs of black shoes and one had heels! They were a little like this:

[img]http://di1.shopping.com/images/di/79/46/59/56426b36676b357a3544585466457350324141-250x250-0-0.jpg[/img][/quote]

When I became a Novice, Mother gifted me with a fine pair of black shoes. They look kinda like these, but with no heel... they looked really sharp with the habit! I only wore them on The Lord's Day and on special Solemnities...

[img]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh165/hamburgerpatty_2008/motherhouse.jpg[/img]

I showed off this picture to some girls I work with, and their very first comment was for me to make sure to tell my Sister friends that sandals and socks were just "not right..." :lol:

loveletslive

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1903959' date='Jun 28 2009, 03:59 PM']When I became a Novice, Mother gifted me with a fine pair of black shoes. They look kinda like these, but with no heel... they looked really sharp with the habit! I only wore them on The Lord's Day and on special Solemnities...

[img]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh165/hamburgerpatty_2008/motherhouse.jpg[/img]

I showed off this picture to some girls I work with, and their very first comment was for me to make sure to tell my Sister friends that sandals and socks were just "not right..." :lol:[/quote]

are thos DSMME? that looks like their motherhouse but they aren't wearing the necklace...

laetitia crucis

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1903959' date='Jun 28 2009, 04:59 PM'][img]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh165/hamburgerpatty_2008/motherhouse.jpg[/img]

I showed off this picture to some girls I work with, and their very first comment was for me to make sure to tell my Sister friends that sandals and socks were just "not right..." :lol:[/quote]

:lol: I too, was told that many times! However, personally, I don't think black socks + sandals look all that bad. :blush: :D

dominicansoul

Actually, those are the Dominican Sisters of the Immaculate Conception Province in Justice, IL.

They are a very obscure Dominican community who have just recently started accepting American vocations... they are originally from Poland.

See that beautiful motherhouse in the background? That was recently built.... and it truly has the Holy Spirit written all over it! A benefactor gave them what they needed to begin their new formation of American vocations!

[url="http://www.sistersop.com/index.html"]http://www.sistersop.com/index.html[/url]

their website needs help, but you can get a gist of what they are all about...

Edited by dominicansoul