An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Heretics Be Burned?

Patrick

Exsurge Domine (1520)  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='PeteWaldo' post='1903531' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:56 AM']Don't be silly. The Roman Catholic Church burned people at the stake for rejecting transubstantiation.[/quote]

Denial of transubstantiation is heresy. Heresy leads souls to hell.

if this thread had a theme song.... it would be Disco Inferno...don't worry, sing it and the lyrics will come to you....

:mellow:

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1903542' date='Jun 28 2009, 11:06 AM']Denial of transubstantiation is heresy. Heresy leads souls to hell.[/quote]

Here's the thing.

No matter if you like it or not, there is no absolute proof that God, Hell, or Heaven exist. Therefore, "heresy" is not even a valid reason to kill anyone.

No one knows who is going to Hell or Heaven. No one has the right to judge that. Only "God" (if there is one) can do that.

I can't believe so many Catholics don't look to their own Christ for a role model.

Jesus was humble, loved sinners, and taught his followers not to kill others. He said "love your neighbor". He didn't say "love your neighbor, but if they are heretics, burn them to death." Jesus never killed ANYONE, no matter how sinful they were.

The 5 people who voted YES on burning people to death in the name of God should be ashamed to call themselves Catholic.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1903599' date='Jun 28 2009, 11:54 AM']The 5 people who voted YES on burning people to death in the name of God should be ashamed to call themselves Catholic.[/quote]
Perhaps not ashamed to call themselves Roman Catholic since the thread opened with:

"we condemn, reprobate, and reject completely .... that heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit."

As well as the poll here: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=95309"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=95309[/url]

However your point regarding Christians:

Gal 5:14 [color="#000080"]For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [/color]

Jhn 5:21 [color="#000080"]For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth [them]; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will. [/color]

It's about trust in God, rather than the precepts of men.

Jhn 8:36 [color="#000080"]If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. [/color]

Hbr 4:12 [color="#000080"]For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.[/color]

Edited by PeteWaldo

Don John of Austria

I will get to this thread... However, since I have alife, a rather busy one atthe moment I will get to it when I can.

That kind of God needs to stop being such a hands-off manager. :mellow:

"Oh my. I kinda wanted Joe to get to Heaven, but some living heretic got at him."

"Hey! It's Bob! You were a pretty half-hearted dude, and you woulda sold Me out if you came across some heretics, but they were executed. Welcome to Heaven!"

What I'm saying is that no circumstantial thing should save souls.

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1903570' date='Jun 28 2009, 12:31 PM']if this thread had a theme song.... it would be Disco Inferno...don't worry, sing it and the lyrics will come to you....

:mellow:[/quote]

Remember that wrestler named Disco Inferno?

He wasn't very good. :(

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1913347' date='Jul 7 2009, 06:05 AM']Lets turn up track number 2 on ultramontane and go burn some heterics.[/quote]

Mc Just told me he burned a couple of them yesterday with dUSt. I was gunna join but I was too busy reading Twilight.

[quote name='musturde' post='1913370' date='Jul 7 2009, 07:48 AM']Mc Just told me he burned a couple of them yesterday with dUSt. I was gunna join but I was too busy reading Twilight.[/quote]

I loved the movie. Didn't get to the book yet.
Ahhhh burning heterics or the Twilight.
I really dont know......

Mrs. Prest of Cornwall was accused of denying transubstantiation. Her final words to the Catholic bishop prior to being burned at the stake:

"[Can you] deny your creed which says that Christ doth perpetually sit at the right hand of His Father, both body and soul, until He comes again; or whether He be there in heaven our Advocate, and to make prayer for us unto God His Father? If He be so, He is not here on earth in a piece of bread. If He be not here, and if He do not dwell in temples made with hands, but in heaven, what! Shall we seek Him here? If He did not offer His body once for all, why make you a new offering? If with one offering He made all perfect, why do you with a false offering make all imperfect? If He be to be worshipped in spirit and in truth, why do you worship a piece of bread? If He be eaten and drunken in faith and truth, if His flesh is not profitable to be among us, why do you say you make His flesh and blood, and say it is profitable for body and soul? Alas! I am a poor woman, but rather than to do as you do, I would live no longer."

[url="http://www.biblebelievers.com/foxes/findex.htm"]http://www.biblebelievers.com/foxes/findex.htm[/url]

Martyr's Mirror in includes court transcripts from the inquisitions:
[url="http://www.homecomers.org/mirror/"]http://www.homecomers.org/mirror/[/url]

Edited by PeteWaldo

[quote name='PeteWaldo' post='1913382' date='Jul 7 2009, 09:20 AM']Mrs. Prest of Cornwall was accused of denying transubstantiation. Her final words to the Catholic bishop prior to being burned at the stake:

"[Can you] deny your creed which says that Christ doth perpetually sit at the right hand of His Father, both body and soul, until He comes again; or whether He be there in heaven our Advocate, and to make prayer for us unto God His Father? If He be so, He is not here on earth in a piece of bread. If He be not here, and if He do not dwell in temples made with hands, but in heaven, what! Shall we seek Him here? If He did not offer His body once for all, why make you a new offering? If with one offering He made all perfect, why do you with a false offering make all imperfect? If He be to be worshipped in spirit and in truth, why do you worship a piece of bread? If He be eaten and drunken in faith and truth, if His flesh is not profitable to be among us, why do you say you make His flesh and blood, and say it is profitable for body and soul? Alas! I am a poor woman, but rather than to do as you do, I would live no longer."[/quote]

48I am the bread of life. 49Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. 50But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. 51I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. [b]This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” [/b]
52Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, [b]“How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” [/b]
53Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. [b]55For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. [/b]56Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. 57Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

[b]60On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?” [/b]

61Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, [b]“Does this offend you? [/b]62What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! 63The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirite and they are life. 64Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him.”

[b]66From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. [/b]

The Biblical teaching on the Eucharist: freaking people out for 2,000 years! From then until now there have been many people who have "turned back and no longer followed him" because they couldn't wrap their minds around Jesus' teaching. Note that when His disciples started leaving, Jesus didn't call them back and say "Why are you getting weirded out? I'm speaking symbolically!" He lets their interpretation stand. Because they interpreted correctly!

[i][b]55For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. [/b] [/i]

One of the greatest tragedies of the Reformation is that people have stopped trusting God's Holy Word and substituted their own understanding!